New AC Scratch "Elegant Beginnings" is "Phantasy Star Legend" without the Phantasy Star

Unlike many of our AC scratch sets, the upcoming AC scratch set Elegant Beginnings is not an exact or close replica to an equivalent scratch set that was previously run on JP. Instead it takes most of its content from a set that was called Phantasy Star Legend, whose flagship content was the outfits of several heroes from the original 1987-1995 Phantasy Star series.

This can be pretty easily seen when comparing the banner images for two sets to see the outfits worn by Hagith, Io and Hitsugi - along with their exact poses and the background - is present in both:

60346f82-7020-40f1-888c-9cf50bad829b-image.png

8283d447-3bea-4f00-be4b-b884a5b5d625-image.png

I've looked through the JP AC scratch history in desperation and it seems the Elegant Beginnings content in Phantasy Star Legend was not included as a second run revival - as far as I can see, that is the set they debuted in, as filler.

This gives us grave concern for the Phantasy Star Legend AC scratch set on Global, now that filler has been taken out. What could they replace it with?

There isn't another source of classic series content in Online 2. Pretty much of the content from Online 1 was provided by Ragol Fashion Packs (Global only), real-world conventions (JP only) or Ragol Memories (both) so there's nothing left I am aware of. Meanwhile most (but not quite all) content from Universe has already been distributed on Global, either in the SG Shop (some but not all of which was later brought back in Fresh Finds) or with direct-purchase collaboration packs.

They could combine the classic outfits with other content as a reformed AC scratch set. This remains the best option, although one that is now a little more complicated than simply giving us the Phantasy Star Legend set as it was. (Once again, mixing content up is causing problems.) But there are definitely remnants from other JP AC scratch sets which have lost some of their parts to Fresh Finds conversion. Those could be combined with the good part of the Phantasy Star Legend AC scratch set to make a new AC scratch set that gives the series' longest fans what they have been asking for for months:

And that's literally one minute of searching, many more requests exist. Most AC scratch announcements on Twitter have had someone asking for the classic set, so much so that they often beat me to the punch! The last of these examples was even in direct response to the announcement of Elegant Beginnings (which is what reminded me that Elegant Beginnings has stuff from Phantasy Star Legend).

Which brings us to the most important point of all. All of these requests? They have asked for the AC Scratch set it always was.

To any GM of the PSO2 Team reading this, I implore you to read that a second time:

All these fans have asked for an AC Scratch set.

For starters, just look at link Three above. That's not even all of the colour variants! The set has a bunch. No other distribution method would work for this. It needs to be an AC Scratch set for this reason alone.

More importantly though, many of us have openly said we have purposefully collected and saved our now-unobtainable AC Scratch Tickets specifically for the Phantasy Star Legend AC scratch set that as arguably the most-demanded AC scratch set in Global for the longest time (and certainly by the series' most longstanding and core fans) may also be the biggest reason that AC scratch tickets have been saved on our server. If this scratch set is taken out of AC scratch, it will be specifically betraying arguably one of the most long-standing requests for an AC scratch set Global has ever seen.

And as part of that danger, I must also make an appeal of critical seriousness:

Please, PLEASE do NOT dump Phantasy Star Classic outfits into Fresh Finds.

None of the fans who have asked for the Phantasy Star classic AC scratch ever wanted that. If you absolutely have to take these outfits, accessories and camos out of being an AC scratch now that Phantasy Star Legend has been broken up, please at least make it a series-celebrating Mission Pass season. Or failing that, make them a collaboration pack somehow - even Universe got those and Universe was hated.

Even those options would be a sickening destruction of the set (it would still mean they wouldn't be tradable on Global, and the aforementioned loss of the large variety of colour variants) but at least you wouldn't be simultaneously telling people with 30+ AC scratch tickets that those are all now worthless and to shell out probably over 3,000 Star Gems in Global's unique and uncompensated Star Gem drain of an item source.

Edit: And to make an even more obvious point, these sets are layered wear! Fresh Finds just hasn't done that before. This is a bit of a relief to think about since it makes it less likely they'll start here, but also a bit of a concern since multiple innerwear, basewear and outerwear all at 400 SG each and then for multiple characters would absolutely murder our SG counts.

It's going to be a SG scratch just for us, thank god.

But yeah it is indeed bizarre we're lacking just two costumes.

I'm more interested in this though: https://www.bumped.org/psublog/pso2-jp-ac-scratch-makeup-and-legacy-parts-selection/#pane-0-1

We could've had one of those cast sets we're missing instead of a third revival of Titangum

@ZENCHI said in New AC Scratch "Elegant Beginnings" is "Phantasy Star Legend" without the Phantasy Star:

We could've had one of those cast sets we're missing instead of a third revival of Titangum

Old pre EP4 CAST sets are usually used for the Mission Pass to balance out the old non-cast sets they use for them. Btw. they haven't announced it yet but the next Mission Pass should contain the Bailarin and the Guardi set.

@Miraglyth said in New AC Scratch "Elegant Beginnings" is "Phantasy Star Legend" without the Phantasy Star:

but at least you wouldn't be simultaneously telling people with 30+ AC scratch tickets that those are all now worthless

I have no dog in this race, but I wanna point out that you can still use your prebought blank AC tickets on anything that is PSO2 AC scratches. The clarified that at some point that you could and that you just can't buy the blank tickets anymore due to some funky stuff with NGS's potential scratch system

@Irisundone said in New AC Scratch "Elegant Beginnings" is "Phantasy Star Legend" without the Phantasy Star:

I wanna point out that you can still use your prebought blank AC tickets on anything that is PSO2 AC scratches.

And if the single only reason we either bought or kept hold of them was because of content that was switched out from being AC scratches so the tickets no longer provide a way to get that content, what's left? Scratch sets we don't care about, whose pulls we could sell for meseta that still can't buy the only thing we wanted because it was switched into a source that's not tradable? To me, that is worthless.

Yes you may call this hyperbole because ultimately those tickets would be burned on some unwanted scratch set and converted into meseta that may still be useful elsewhere. Though... with NGS specifically not using meseta and a question over the future additions of PSO2 content on which to spend meseta on from the moment NGS arrives, I do have to wonder...

The fact remains no player has ever praised the conversion of some items that are tradable on JP into a non-tradable version on Global. None. And to remind, this is a set of content that many of the series' most longstanding fans have specifically requested as an AC scratch for their tickets, colour variants yes the survival of their tradable status, since March. This would make their conversion into a non-AC source in spite of that enduring and oft-repeated request even worse than when it's done to items people haven't spent almost a year looking forward to.

It probably got removed because of how racy it is OR they will add or create some new packs with those fashions and maybe come with psocomi badges or rogol badges (like the Tails, Helga, Nier, etc pack); honestly IDK.

@Xaiyeon said in New AC Scratch "Elegant Beginnings" is "Phantasy Star Legend" without the Phantasy Star:

honestly IDK

Yep, that's fair. Nobody does at the moment, because nothing's ever been officially said about it on Global. Hopefully it'll still be a reworked AC scratch set just with different filler items since they decided the filler items from Phantasy Star Legend fit better for a new year's theme. If so, that'd be great! And it'd be interesting to see what filler they pair the Phantasy Star classic content with instead.

One possibility that occurred to me is they could take the Phantasy Star parts of the Phantasy Star Nova AC scratch set and combine it with the classic series content to make a single Phantasy Star legacy AC set. That'd still be perfectly fine (and would minimise their perceived exposure to one AC set if they really do underestimate how long the series has been loved in the west).

@Miraglyth

imo, I'm not a fan of them pulling the blank tickets from the shops, but I do wonder who they'll handle NGS.

With that said, it sucks that you can't get more blank tickets to hold on to for PSO2 vanilla because of whatever they decided to do for NGS. There's also a lot to be said about the items that are locked because FFS/SG items/Mission Pass items that weren't locked over in the JP side.

I'm hoping that they can find some other items to bundle the Phantasy Star items with in a scratch, though, since it brings back a lot of nostalgia for old players. But we'll just have to wait and see, unfortunately :x

Realisation hits me as I wake up that these sets are layered wear, not outfits, so they would seriously be breaking convention to dump them into Fresh Finds, to the point that it'd look seriously suspiciously like it was done on purpose to stab players in the back. So I don't think that'll happen. But until they're available I can never be certain.

Rip me and still forever waiting on tylor replica to reshow /:

But yeah I don't get why we aren't getting the same tickets JP gets.