Post-Graphical Update System Requirements?

Do we know what those are yet? I saw the NGS Beta test requirements and it made me a bit concerned as it was the first time my PC DID NOT meet the highest recommendations. Do we know what the requirements for PSO2 after the graphical update will be? Kind of concerned right now.

PSO2 itself should be about the same, since it is going to be updated with the NGS engine for its graphical update.

From https://new-gen.pso2.jp/cbt/entry/spec/ and translated at https://www.bumped.org/psublog/pso2-new-genesis-jp-closed-beta-announcement/

Note that these are the recommended specifications for the Closed Beta Test, and they can change when NGS has released.

OS 	
    Windows 8.1 64bit or Windows 10 64bit

CPU 	
    【Low / Medium Quality】Intel Core i5-9400 or equal
    【High Quality】Intel Core i9-10900

RAM 	
    【Low / Medium Quality】8GB RAM
    【High Quality】16GB RAM

Hard Drive 	
    About 100GBs (NGS is about 30GB and PSO2 is about 70GB)
※You can reduce download times by completely installing the currently available version of PSO2. However do note, that the "PSO2 currently in service" and the  "PSO2 used for the closed beta" both require disk space for each version.

Monitor Resolution 	
    【Low Quality】1280x720
    【Medium / High Quality】1920x1080

Graphics Card 	
    【Low Quality】NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 950 or equal
        AMD Radeon™ R9 285 or equal
    【Medium Quality】NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060
        AMD Radeon™ RX 580
    【High Quality】NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER
        AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT

Sound Card 	
    Yes

DirectX® 	
    DirectX®11 and above

@Ragnawind said in Post-Graphical Update System Requirements?:

PSO2 itself should be about the same, since it is going to be updated with the NGS engine for its graphical update.

idk, it might depend. An engine upgrade doesn't necessarily mean it's going to use all the features of that engine, and Old PSO2 might not end up taking that much of a performance hit. When people heard the news about PSO2 using NGS's engine, a lot of people mistakenly took that to mean the graphics themselves were all going to be updated to NGS standards, but that's not the case + we've seen clips of post-engine-update PSO2 now, and it looks basically the same as before. Old PSO2 models don't look like they were updated to NGS standards, they were just ported over to the new engine.

So if you're running around Old PSO2 by yourself, doing expeditions/whatever, I wouldn't be surprised if the performance hit was only marginal. The NGS requirements are based on all new NGS graphics, NGS player/enemy models, and NGS open zones, which are going to be more demanding than the smaller zones / less complex models / worse textures of PSO2.

I'd be kinda surprised if they ever released info on the new recommended specs for Old PSO2 separate from NGS, though.

Aside from the specs computers need, I wonder how much pain the installation will be. Will they devise a new way to brick computers?

Tune in next time on PSO2!

@Akonyl said in Post-Graphical Update System Requirements?:

@Ragnawind said in Post-Graphical Update System Requirements?:

idk, it might depend. An engine upgrade doesn't necessarily mean it's going to use all the features of that engine, and Old PSO2 might not end up taking that much of a performance hit. When people heard the news about PSO2 using NGS's engine, a lot of people mistakenly took that to mean the graphics themselves were all going to be updated to NGS standards, but that's not the case + we've seen clips of post-engine-update PSO2 now, and it looks basically the same as before. Old PSO2 models don't look like they were updated to NGS standards, they were just ported over to the new engine.

So if you're running around Old PSO2 by yourself, doing expeditions/whatever, I wouldn't be surprised if the performance hit was only marginal. The NGS requirements are based on all new NGS graphics, NGS player/enemy models, and NGS open zones, which are going to be more demanding than the smaller zones / less complex models / worse textures of PSO2.

I'd be kinda surprised if they ever released info on the new recommended specs for Old PSO2 separate from NGS, though.

I'll vouch for this response. Engines aside, a big part of what makes a system requirements list is polygon count. And from what it seems, PSO2 won't be getting any new extra polygons to their models. So any increased requirements to the older game will come from the engine and whatever extra effects it may come with. On the other hand, using new NG models in old PSO2 will push things up a little. Multiply that by 12 characters on screen on an expedition (if they all wear NG outfits) and you may be looking at noticeably bigger resource consumption.

Sounds fair. If it's only a marginal upgrade I should be fine. As for NGS, well let's hope we see a PS5 release or something.

@Hatsodoom unless you are in JP you aint getting a PS5 release.

@captain-codpiece Considering it's Microsoft we are talking about here, and their current multi platform stance, it would be a bit more believable that they eventually allow Sega to use whatever they did for Global on a release in another console. This game could really use the exposure on both Playstation and Switch.

I'm not holding my breath for this one, but I see some very slight possibility.

Well then lets hope NGS final specs aren't so high. I can run it on medium with my PC, but seeing a PSO game be the first game it can't handle on high is kind of concerning. It's only 2.5 years old...

@Hatsodoom said in Post-Graphical Update System Requirements?:

Well then lets hope NGS final specs aren't so high. I can run it on medium with my PC, but seeing a PSO game be the first game it can't handle on high is kind of concerning. It's only 2.5 years old...

Gonna chime in here and say that these specs are not final and are being used as a basis for the Beta test only. Wait for the final requirements and decide from there I would say.

@ZorokiHanuke said in Post-Graphical Update System Requirements?:

@captain-codpiece Considering it's Microsoft we are talking about here, and their current multi platform stance, it would be a bit more believable that they eventually allow Sega to use whatever they did for Global on a release in another console. This game could really use the exposure on both Playstation and Switch.

I'm not holding my breath for this one, but I see some very slight possibility.

PlayStation release is not off the table and SEGA controls where the game releases not Microsoft all they did was fund it and maybe had some sort of timed console exclusivity for it. As for Switch I wouldn't hold your breath since it is a Cloud version and that would require a substantial amount of work that is not worth the effort to bring over to the Western version of the game. Besides Phil Spencer has already stated the game can be released on other platforms besides the Xbox One.

@YagyuChan The hope I would have for those who cannot upgrade their computers would be that if it "is" possible Sega could potentially release a highly-crunched version of Phantasy Star Online 2 like they have done for the Vita (the game's installation was about 13-20 GB) but the Vita version also was stuck on its own exclusive blocks (which had different spawns and levels of detail for hardware limitations that all platforms are subject to upon joining the Vita Blocks). Of course there were definitely disadvantages to this because I had to download 13 GB updates just about every time there were larger updates (every few months).

If the engine-revamp is as big of a deal as it is hopefully this means Sega is able to port the game to more platforms than it currently is on to varying degrees of quality settings. This is at least what I am pinning for considering the Vita is no longer supported and that machines of a similar power are also "soon" going to be no longer supported with the bump up which is likely any computer from 2009-2012 from what I can recall.

I am hoping that NGS launches on xCloud for streaming at least. Of course, that would still require very very good internet, but I think by the time it comes out that xCloud will also be officially on the PC as well as cellular devices (Android).

We are in a situation where cloud gaming could become a day saver for some people. I mean, new consoles (and even aging ones like the Switch) all taken by scalpers who won't sell for less than double or even triple their price. High end GPUs on scalper and crypto miner hands (it's 2017 all over again, folks), and a pandemic that pushed even the most efficient build lines to a near halt to make the stuff even more scarce. This means many gamers out there have been cucked off their modern updated gaming, even if they had the money to spare. The cloud alternative could have at least alleviated it for those who could push enough bandwidth through their lines, as a last resort hold out option to play something until the retail chaos subsides, if it ever does...