The (Completely Made Up) Status Advantages and Disadvantages of the Alien Races + Rappies

It would be nice for the other alien races to be a part of ARKs after all of our adventuring on their planets, especially in NGS where it's 1000 years in the future which is more than enough to at least see a few out of several hundred of those species to be running around in ARKs, but I made a topic of that in the NGS forum. For now this is just a little fun speculation that I wanted to do for a while considering what would be the stat advantages or disadvantages for them like the rest of the alien races like our races. Basically minor stat boosts and debuffs in certain fields, but not enough to make that much of a huge difference besides min maxing stats. I totally forgot that gender also change the stats as well, but for now I'll just focus on the races themselves, starting with this game's mascot the Rappies.

Rappy
Basically, just average like the humans but more inclined to have Range stat bonuses because of bird stuff and if I have to give them a disadvantage then it'll just be their defense because of how squishy they look and I think that'll be it for them.
Advantage:
Slightly above average Range attack boost.
Disadvantage:
Below average defense on everything.

Draconians
Up next will be the first communicatable aliens you'll meet in the game, the Draconians or Sadeenians/Sil Deenians as this is the kind of suit that's available from their species. But their stats will be more based off of their culture and their other "cousins" in the game. Also there will be a bit of a bias since they are my favorite alien race in the game. I mean, space dragons, the concept sounds pretty cool all in its own. Anyway, I believe that their boost increases will be more focused on Melee and Tech stats and not on Range. Why? It's because of how they appear as enemies in the game and while they are able to shoot stuff, they're shooting them from staffs and anything that could be considered just range from them are the ones that can shoot beams from their mouths and that's not from the ones we have a costume for do. There's also alot of mysticism and magic in their culture especially in the story where you saved a Vol Dragon with your ability to manipulate photons better than anyone else in the game (which I hope does get addressed in the final episode). Not to mention another part of their culture is that they greatly value strength so it makes sense for me to think that they accel at Melee and Tech stats but not so well at range. So basically their stats will go like this in the summary:
Advantage:
Above average Melee and Tech attack stats, slightly above average Melee and Tech defense
Disadvantage:
Below average Range attack and defense

Lillipans
Next is the second alien race you meet in the game but they can't speak your language nor are they telepathic to be able to, which I forgot is another reason why I believe Draconians can excel in Tech as well. But they do have their own language and society. Anyway, I was thinking about their survivability in their harsh desert and machine run environment and how they were able to make their home and villages there for their advantages. At first, I was thinking about how they could excel at Range Stats but they really don't fight at all so their stat bonuses are bit more different from the other races that normally do fight. Anyway, I believe in their ability to make things will make since for them to have a stat advantage in Dexterity, especially with their way their homes are made and I think criticals are somewhat needed to dig through the ground, which I will understand why you would believe that advantage that should go to a Melee advantage at first. But if you remember the times where you have to protect them from enemies in your rescue trials while they get one of their own out of a broken robots clutches and it takes them a minute or so to do it, you'll see that they're not that strong, which I believe their Dexterity makes the most sense if you look at the way they made their home and equipment.
Another advantage they would have would be Tech defense only, mostly because of their harsh environment of their world that I mentioned earlier. Again I would understand that would to go Melee because the sandstorming environment seems physical, but it's actually elemental. This would make more sense that they would have a just an above average Tech defense as opposed to melee since they just fly away from a robot's explosion but they can absolutely handle the desert storms well and being able to handle digging to underground with their claws. Since they're not fighters I believe those are the only two advantages they will have and their disadvantage would just be their Melee stats instead, at least only for the defense.
Advantage:
A slightly above average Dexterity, above average Tech Defense
Disadvantage:
Below average Melee Defense

Daybreakers
The last alien race you meet in the game for the most part. I can't really think much about them since they're only exclusive to episode 3. I would say given their spiritualty of their culture that they'll have a slight Tech Advantage, but the only advantages I can only think of them is that they're fleshy tanks, so they excel at the defenses of everything given that their normally giants, and given their Nightwalker counterparts, I would say that dexterity is not exactly their best stat. I would also say that they would naturally have more PP compared to the other races if the chosen ones become ARKs, at least outside of my own reasoning to raise their defense stats of everything but avoid giving them Tech Attack bonuses, because then most mage classes will choose them for their defenses and their attack. Even then, they might even be chosen for their PP as well, but I can't think of anything else besides just giving them defense and leaving it at that even though I gave the other races a good advantage should they fight, even Dexterity helps alot in battles. So yeah, more PP makes it a bit more sense to me, though I would like to hear the alternatives, hence the creation of this thread after all.
Advantage:
Slightly above average defense in all types, a bit of a PP increase
Disadvantage:
Below average Dexterity

Photoners
Well since I put Rappies in there I might as well put in the Photoners. No, I don't consider them animals, they're here because someone might ask, just like with Rappies, and Earthlings are just Humans so there's no point in talking about them. However I didn't get much through the second part of the final episode yet, so I still don't know much about them. The only advantages I can think of is them being very high on Tech stats and High Dexterity and that's it. The disadvantage might be their HP might be low, but yeah, I think I need to get further in the story to fully decide on this.
Advantage?:
High Tech, high Dex
Disadvantage?:
Low HP

the race divide is fine as is... phantsy star universe attempted things with the filthy beast race (especially the women).

humans are the baseline... can do everything but excell at nothing over others, they could learn more abilities later on in the game with the GAS system however.

Newmans are weaker physically but excell at techs

CAST can use traps and have no access to techs (PSO) then became weaker with Techs and had access to SUV/SUB weapons (like a mag blast, sadly missing from PSU in the west for other races), all casts however have stronger range stats and skills to match, a HUCAST has extra attack power and defences also.

with the inclusion of Deuman, we have the cross of draconian and hume....increase in skills and decrease in tec power to go with that.

i honestly dont see the benefit of anything else added TBH. since we cant make Loli characters on global lilipans are pointless as theyd be huge. Draconians as a pure race could be fun i do agree, id actually really like this to happen even though it wont. day breakers would just be like beasts on PSU very boring atack stat based and nothing else.

Uh, there are suits for draconian, rappy, daybreaker and lilipan. Yes, you are essentially wearing a suit (some with a giant zipper handle on their backs) but they are good enough to make me forget that detail. I would like a draconian suit in their native armor, though. That one looks pretty good, regardless of all being a single color.

As for beasts in the PSU series, I liked them. The nanoblast thing (mostly the definitely not Naruto themed ninja fox introduced in PSPortable2) was a cool thing to have. Also, Daybreakers look like the male beast nanoblast.

@ZorokiHanuke I wish we had the option to remove the zippers at least, oh and I wish some of the emotes were more synced up with the actual model of the costumes since some emotes look really dumb on certain costumes (mainly the Daybreaker and Draconian costume) and have the ability to see accessories on those costumes since currently you can’t see any accessories with Daybreakers equipped (not sure if it’s the same for Draconians though).

@NotWhoUThink said in The (Completely Made Up) Status Advantages and Disadvantages of the Alien Races + Rappies:

@ZorokiHanuke I wish we had the option to remove the zippers at least, oh and I wish some of the emotes were more synced up with the actual model of the costumes since some emotes look really dumb on certain costumes (mainly the Daybreaker and Draconian costume) and have the ability to see accessories on those costumes since currently you can’t see any accessories with Daybreakers equipped (not sure if it’s the same for Draconians though).

The thing with most if not all suits is that the devs who made them wanted you to know they were suits in the first place. That regardless of the impossibly changed shape on most, you were a human wearing a suit. Yes, I would have liked a transformation instead of a suit, but this is what we got instead. Some suits even prevent accessories from showing, like Nyau and Morgana. If I remember, draconian allows accessories, though.

@ZorokiHanuke said in The (Completely Made Up) Status Advantages and Disadvantages of the Alien Races + Rappies:

@NotWhoUThink said in The (Completely Made Up) Status Advantages and Disadvantages of the Alien Races + Rappies:

The thing with most if not all suits is that the devs who made them wanted you to know they were suits in the first place. That regardless of the impossibly changed shape on most, you were a human wearing a suit. Yes, I would have liked a transformation instead of a suit, but this is what we got instead. Some suits even prevent accessories from showing, like Nyau and Morgana. If I remember, draconian allows accessories, though.

Sorry guess I should’ve specified a little better about what I meant. I meant the option to remove/hide the pull tab part of the zipper or at least make it smaller. I’m fine with the teeth part of the zipper to still be visible to still indicate it’s a suit and not a transformation. I still stand by my point that accessories should be usable on every costume and fixing certain emotes to fit the model more on those few costumes.

Sorry guess I should’ve specified a little better about what I meant. I meant the option to remove/hide the pull tab part of the zipper or at least make it smaller. I’m fine with the teeth part of the zipper to still be visible to still indicate it’s a suit and not a transformation. I still stand by my point that accessories should be usable on every costume and fixing certain emotes to fit the model more on those few costumes.

Fair. Another gripe I have is that some of these suits can be shape-edited. But usually, the shape for your regular human looks pretty bad on the suit. And let's not talk about how your human would look if you edited your shape to have a better looking suit. Would have loved something like the cast/human shape separation option to work on these suits as well.

What the hell are you even talking about

@ZENCHI who are you referring to?

OP is spitballing future race options, i was reflecting on previous race options in earlier games and how the races developed into the core races we have now.

the other contributors have mentioned enemy suits that are available in the game for your character to wear.

if you were not aware the races DO ACTUALLY HAVE DIFFERENCES, just they have been watered down so much in this version to be almost meaningless. i miss my tech god FOnewearls 😞

@captain-codpiece said in The (Completely Made Up) Status Advantages and Disadvantages of the Alien Races + Rappies:

@ZENCHI who are you referring to?

OP is spitballing future race options, i was reflecting on previous race options in earlier games and how the races developed into the core races we have now.

the other contributors have mentioned enemy suits that are available in the game for your character to wear.

if you were not aware the races DO ACTUALLY HAVE DIFFERENCES, just they have been watered down so much in this version to be almost meaningless. i miss my tech god FOnewearls 😞

Yeah, I'm confused by this as well, captain pretty much put what I wanted to say pretty well. Though I'm glad you explained what you were talking about captain, I didn't know what you meant by the race divide is fine as it is until now. Still though to your first post, having more diverse alien races to play as would be more fun in a game about space exploration after all, not to mention their size differences like the Lillipans would make for some interesting playstyles as well.

@ZorokiHanuke said in The (Completely Made Up) Status Advantages and Disadvantages of the Alien Races + Rappies:

Fair. Another gripe I have is that some of these suits can be shape-edited. But usually, the shape for your regular human looks pretty bad on the suit. And let's not talk about how your human would look if you edited your shape to have a better looking suit. Would have loved something like the cast/human shape separation option to work on these suits as well.

As for you two, I can definitely confirm that the Draconian/Sadeenian Suit can use any accessory, especially THAT one, that my Aux has, although I made it pretty modest by combining it with other accessories. Though I don't know what you mean by the cast/human separation option, how does that one work?

However in the end the suits can only do so much, which is one of the reasons why people like me wish these races are playable races. Although from what I've seen in pixiv Lillipans are popular in Japan while Draconians are popular in America when I'm compared to the amount of fanart of each race has in different websites. Which makes me even more glad for that the Japanese Artist won the contest to get the Draconian/Sadeenian suit made.

Anyway, back to their ability, I feel like out of all the races Draconians are the only race that can take the place of the Beast Race from PSU, but there's no lore outside of Reia that the other Draconians can change their form. But since the Quartz and Vol dragons are part of their race it gives rise to the possibility that the Deenians can probably transform into these forms, hence making them a good replacement for the Beast Race if they can't come into this version of Phantasy Star.

@Guilrel The cast/humanoid shape separation is an option you toggle on the game's settings. If I remember, it's on the "Others" section. This makes it so you can have one shape for when your cast uses any of the outfits that give them a flesh humanoid look (outfit/outwear/basewear/inner), while having different proportions on their mechanical cast forms (chest/arm/leg parts). Or that's how I understood it. I haven't really played with the setting as I like my cast to have the same proportions on both kinds of outfits. I still feel something like this could have worked for the suits. The other option would have been to remove the character edit pass system and make it fully free to use. That way you could save all your shapes and change to them with a single click, even outside of the salon just like fashion slots work.

As for the nanoblast transformation, I assume it (and cast SUV weapons) was created because of the lack of a 'super attack' like PSO1's photon blasts. Partner machines, which was what replaced mags in those games, didn't have a specific super attack to call their own, though if I remember, they could access SUV weapons as well. PSO2 has mags and their PBs (and also has super techs and super PAs), which would make things like nanoblasts a bit too much to also add on a new race, unless such races are prevented from using other things.

But with the direction NG is apparently going for, it seems playable races will be finally fully cosmetic things with absolutely no differences in stats and function. And at least since PSO1, this game has been strict in limiting playable characters to humans and their closest variants. Which kind of strikes me as odd, since as a space opera game, it could have benefited from species diversity.

honestly, i find too much diversity in stats dilutes the experience.

the more races are added the more needs to be taken from the others. we have a really decent spread already

like i pointed out in first post.

Humans, jack of all master of none. (Mar-marl) can be any class with litte fault

Newmans, techs for days... but weak physically (newm-newearl) best suited to force/techer based classes, occasionl melee/tech combo

Cast, high accuracy and attack weak techs (cast-caseal) best suited to ranger classes and high impact melee fighters

Deuman, strong anilities weaker techs, higher evasion lower defence (deuman never had gender names) best suited to agile melee classes maybe with tech sub for occasional buffs or heals

that is EVERY class possibility laid out, we dont need more sub divisions, the stats are already watered down to almost meaninless levels already, where race and gender is almost just aesthetic.

As for the nanoblast transformation, I assume it (and cast SUV weapons) was created because of the lack of a 'super attack' like PSO1's photon blasts. Partner machines, which was what replaced mags in those games, didn't have a specific super attack to call their own, though if I remember, they could access SUV weapons as well. PSO2 has mags and their PBs (and also has super techs and super PAs), which would make things like nanoblasts a bit too much to also add on a new race, unless such races are prevented from using other things.

we kind of have nanoblast... dont wanna spoil anything... for those who havet done chapter 5, but PSO2 expands on the beast mode nanoblast idea greatly, though i do think SUV weapons would still be fun for CAST 🙂 even if it is at a cost of a HEAVY nerf to tech ability

@captain-codpiece said in The (Completely Made Up) Status Advantages and Disadvantages of the Alien Races + Rappies:

we kind of have nanoblast...

Ugh. Totally forgot about that since I didn't use it that much. But yeah, toss that into the super attack/power up skill pot PSO2 already has.

As for SUV weapons, it could have been a thing for everyone, not just casts. I mean, visually, they were just large weapons summoned into the battlefield. Not some machine appendage coming from inside the cast. But by now, as cool as it would be to summon a giant gatling gun and shoot Luther's face with it, we do already have way too many special attacks, and I hope NG doesn't go as crazy with those additions. Though that's my own opinion in liking simpler gameplay with less stuff to keep track of.

@ZorokiHanuke I am with you on streamlining gameplay my 40 year old brain doesnt get the whole I-frame dodge nonsense PMSL luther gets me EVERY TIME, i just dont get it, even on etoille 😜

grah you made SUV sound so much better than it actually was haha if only it was as awesome as a transformer style gun haha