Meseta, but what is it really?

Yes I know it's money but where does it derive it's value? The existance of "Meseta Crystals" make me think it is a valuable mineral, perhaps used in technology production, and as such the currency is backed by it, similar to how the US dollar was once backed by gold.

@ZeeHero9271 If you can recall, there are meseta crystals, which i suppose means that they are minerals. They had some description too, but i don't remember what it said.

Although now that i found one, the description just says "a nugget of crystallized meseta" so who knows. Unlikely that any of these things will be explained since it isn't necessary and most people don't care.

It may be a form of photon that doesn't have much use besides as currency. As its too low grade to be used in weaponry or as fuel.

In a post-scarcity economy, the Golden Standard is a hindrance to the distribution of universal healthcare, shelter, and food. So instead currency is based on a non-finite resource: time. More specifically, it is an amount energy generated per hour of labor.

Basically, because Photon tech makes energy abundant, capital becomes more of a mere formality when it comes to obtaining the necessities (healthcare, shelter, food). The value of more luxurious good is measured differently (the * rating).