The Mag is a big part of PSO for me!

The Mag has always been an identifier for me in PSO. But seem as tho the NGS is taking that away. For me personally it not PSO if they take the Mag away.

Mag's are not going away in NGS though. They just serve a different purpose now.

I don't think MAG will change all that much TBH, we have only seen the initial stage of the game so far.

From what I was taking from the stream the other day, MAG now "also" acts as our communications system with the arks mainframe, kind of like xierra is after her introduction. Which will only serve to strengthen that player-MAG bond in game, I mean who doesn't love xierra? (though she needs a salon pass to help her body image 😉)

I'm fully expecting MAG to evolve and be our companion since it has been since PSO, the fact that the world mag system requires feeding tells me raising a MAG isn't going anywhere. Besides it's a decent revenue stream, selling mags and reset devices for AC. They won't give that up.

Also if you were not around for PSO on DC, MAG was not explained to the press in any great detail... Especially pre release. There was a lot of trial and error once the game was released, the Internet wasn't what it is now... Sites like pso World were our main resource, and that was all user generated content and the forum.

Wait till he hears about the PET system in PSU. that said, mag isnt going away. if you watched the stream youd know mags are present they just serve a different purpose now. they are no longer just stat sticks.

i will be honest.. i am ignorant on the topic you speak..

except mags.. mags have been in pso since pso has been in pso..

and they are an amazing and unique way to truly make your build your own if you desire.. (yeah yeah.. everyone maxes one stat... but you don't have to.. you can give yourself various defenses or other strengths.. on og pso i had many mags (course.. mags weren't a cash commodity then either) and the different ways you would build them could drastically effect your char.. man.. reminiscing on growth spread sheets and correct char trade offs to ensure i got a red sato.. lol! those were the days)

@WoollierTiara12 said in The Mag is a big part of PSO for me!:

and they are an amazing and unique way to truly make your build your own if you desire.. (yeah yeah.. everyone maxes one stat... but you don't have to.. you can give yourself various defenses or other strengths.. on og pso i had many mags (course.. mags weren't a cash commodity then either) and the different ways you would build them could drastically effect your char.. man.. reminiscing on growth spread sheets and correct char trade offs to ensure i got a red sato.. lol! those were the days)

Mags are in NGS, dont worry

sorry about the double post.. it made me do it..

but that's awesome!

no worries fam. happens every now and then

When Universe nixed mags altogether and introduced partner machines as a version that lived in your My Room and could be a party member as a replacement, all the players that panned Universe for not being Online consistently included mags as part of their complaints. Among the inclusion of the four v1 Online fields, they also added weapon types that were meant to emulate mags as a response to those complaints.

Online 2 essentially restored mags to the form they were in Online 1 - passive base-stat raisers that float behind you that provided a couple of trigger abilities and photon blasts, that could conditionally use evolution devices to have unique visual forms. This even extended to having a total level/stat cap of 200 and return appearances for many of the signature forms including Sega consoles. All they really changed was simplifying food effects (it used to vary based on mag form) and allowing the increased number of abilities to be changed independent of form.

So it's pretty clear they made a point of appealing to nostalgia with mags in PSO2. Which in turn makes it a little interesting that they're diversifying mags a little again. I haven't seen the second half of the Prologue just yet (I'm getting to it!) but combining previous information with the first half they seem like no-stat pets now and also appear in a non-player-owned form which is a bigger change in purpose than Universe's partner machines. So... too early for me to have an impression yet, but the potentially incomplete picture I have makes me wonder if they might be repeating or reworking a past mistake.

I'm not that excited about them going, but it's only a minimal grievance for me. Yet, what does concern me is their look. What I hope, is that they can still remain with the skins we can apply to them. I finally have a few mag appearances that I love to use.

I'd like to point out that MAGs were not introduced in PSU until around it's 2-3rd year of existence. We were stuck with the lame partner machines(PMs). They only got introduced when there was a sudden interest in bringing them back. There was a catch though, they were called something totally different, and limited to ranged and caster classes, and they didn't evolve. PMs were basically pseudo mags. Thus you can say PSU is the only game in the series that didn't have this iconic component.

@Valinda said in The Mag is a big part of PSO for me!:

There was a catch though, they were called something totally different, and limited to ranged and caster classes, and they didn't evolve.

They were literally just weapons that looked like mags, no extra menus or systems in place. On JP they were called madoog (technic) and shadoog (ranged), just because that's typical Phantasy Star and its slight name-changes. On Global they were changed in translation to "ranged/technic combat support machine" which the wikis abbreviated to RCSM and TCSM.

@Valinda said in The Mag is a big part of PSO for me!:

Thus you can say PSU is the only game in the series that didn't have this iconic component.

Phantasy Star, Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star III, Phantasy Star IV...

@RainGnyu said in The Mag is a big part of PSO for me!:

The Mag has always been an identifier for me in PSO. But seem as tho the NGS is taking that away. For me personally it not PSO if they take the Mag away.

well they are basically taking the mag system away not the entire mag

but i like feeding my mag and i loved PSO ep1 and 2 alot...i think a mag could have had a huge potential in PSO2 NGS so this is one of the changes that i actually dislike..i thought they might improve the mag system not kill it...but maybe they have future plans for something similar or didn announce any "replacement" for that matter yet

@WoollierTiara12 said in The Mag is a big part of PSO for me!:

Completely irrelevant. As long as going all one stat performs better, thats all people are going to do.

Mags are a completely un needed feature that add nothing of value to the gameplay. So what if they were in older PSO games? a lot of bad design was in older games. You think the crap that flew with Final Fantasy 11 would fly today? hell no.