Future Updates will be handled through the Digital Storefront

So, throughout maintenance, I found Steam downloading a 5 GB update for PSO2 and on top of that, the option to scan the game's files from the launcher is also gone and the launcher doesn't scan for any updates when launched!

Its too early to confirm but... its beginning to look like future updates will be done through Steam / MS Store (anyone still uses the MS Store version to confirm if this is the case for that version?).

This is something that FFXIV did on PlayStation Network, since whenever PS3/4 tried to update via their launcher the game would constantly disconnect during download, forcing players to be at the PS3/4's side during an update, which could take hours.

I'm guessing this is just to help update better like that.

@coldreactive said in Future Updates will be handled through the Digital Storefront:

This is something that FFXIV did on PlayStation Network, since whenever PS3/4 tried to update via their launcher the game would constantly disconnect during download, forcing players to be at the PS3/4's side during an update, which could take hours.

I'm guessing this is just to help update better like that.

I can't say i'm familiar with this specific scenario but, I do believe this is an improvement also (if you aren't already using the PSO2 Tweaker that is). Updates through the original launcher are quite slow to begin with... at least now updates can be downloaded at a much faster rate.

I saw it posted elsewhere as well, but I would imagine this is likely to also push the "default" version downloaded so that Steam users aren't downloading the Episode 4 client and then having to update all the way through Episodes 5 and Episodes 6.

The official Japanese download updated the client you would download from the website to match the episodes at the time so you didn't end up being the person who downloaded Episode 1 and then had massive updates you had to sift through in order to actually get the game started. If this is how future updates are distributed I would imagine it being a lot more convenient overall for players to simply update the game but until the servers are back up we will have to see if the launcher will still be doing its thing with checking the game's files and integrity.

Another reason is that Steam can sometimes desync and update launcher-patched files to their original steam downloaded form. I know Final Fantasy XI had this problem a lot. If this happens to Final Fantasy XI, it breaks the install entirely (and cannot be patched) forcing users to re-download the game from scratch after deleting it all.

@VanillaLucia I am aware of this practice as this has happened a few times as well in the past with PSO2's Steam version.

With that said, I did also point out that the option to "Check File" has been removed from the launcher and the launcher no longer has the pop up window to check for updates from the server at the start. Starting PSO2 brings up the launcher instantly without any checks whatsoever!

Launcher.jpg

Now I just wish gameguard would go away so players could play on Linux.

@Leonkh99 said in Future Updates will be handled through the Digital Storefront:

@VanillaLucia I am aware of this practice as this has happened a few times as well in the past with PSO2's Steam version.

With that said, I did also point out that the option to "Check File" has been removed from the launcher and the launcher no longer has the pop up window to check for updates from the server at the start. Starting PSO2 brings up the launcher instantly without any checks whatsoever!

Launcher.jpg

To add onto this the option to move the game files to another drive on Steam has become available despite being previously disabled by SEGA and Steam since it would bug out the official launcher if the files were to be moved.

evidence.png

@coldreactive said in Future Updates will be handled through the Digital Storefront:

Now I just wish gameguard would go away so players could play on Linux.

That will never happen since it is SEGA's anti cheat even if it is trivial for some to pass.

Steam handles this stuff a lot better than PSO2 launcher, so I consider it a large improvement.

Steam updated the game a second time and reverted changes made to the launcher. So now updates will be through the launcher again.

Wonder if that was the "Major Issue"?

probably was and looks like they still wanna make it work down the line as Steam still has the ability to verify the game files alongside moving the install folder.

How hard would it be to instead of being as vague as possible, give at least some info on what's wrong?

X_x

Welp, that was a nice change for about 3 hours. Ah well, so long as patch installs and I can play.