Why I left FFXIV for PSO2

@Blade-Syphon said in Why I left FFXIV for PSO2:

@KOSMOSFAN22497 said in Why I left FFXIV for PSO2:

I disagree it's made it different from FFXI which I think is a good thing. If anything doesn't have a soul it's PSO2... in fact it's a prime symbol of how much Sega has dragged the Phantasy Star name through the mud ever since PSU existed... Oh and did I mention that PSO2 is just PSO in name only? If anything. It's really PSU2 with the PSO name covering it with the combat mechanics lifted straight from Portable 2/Infinity but modified.

See, if we were talking about ARR, or HW, I'd agree with you.

But from STormblood on? No, absolutely not, I have to disagree with you at a fundamental level in pretty much every respect. The fact that Elidibus' story was wrapped up in a single patch, with his "true form" being a literal model rip from Dissidia is pretty much what killed it for me in XIV, and expecting them to ever actually put effort into the game again.

And lo and behold at my "Surprise" when they rip yet another model from Dissidia and slap it into the new Eden Raid. Because hey, why bother trying when we can just do quick copy past jobs.

XIV just has no soul, especially compared to XI.

I'm also not really getting where you're coming from with PSO2 being "Souless" compared to PSO. Phantasy Star Online 2 was never intended to be a direct sequel to PSO, so no, it wasn't going to cover the same locations or grounds as the original game. And obviously the game play is going to be markedly different, considering PSO is almost two decades old now, and had major design constraints placed on it because of that.

I agree...But still feel they could've done more.

PSO2 walks at the beat of it's own drum, telling a story that's uniquely it's own, while still giving little nods to older games in the Phantasy Star series (in particular the original quadrilogy).

And does a poor job of it just like it's trash spin-off game IDOLA. I mean hell.. Episode 4 is basically a Rip off Phantasy Star 2 Except it treats it like a joke because well... You know what Ep 4 looks like and it's straight up pathetic....

And don't get me started on Episode 5 Alisa.

You see using those elements and respecting them are 2 different things. Just ask Sonic.

XIV? It's long since past trying to tell it's own story in Eorzea, and is now 90% fan service, taking content straight from other Final Fantasy games with no explanation other than "We know you liked this character from Final Fantasy XII, so here he is again!".

Sighs that? well okay ..

Let’s just say I don’t play pso2 for story, though if you watch the Oracle anime it’s a lot easier to understand what’s going on since nothing is chopped up. I found it really difficult to care about most NPCs in the game but the anime helped with that a lot. I thought Ep1 end was brilliant but I don’t feel anything for the rest of the game story.

Ffxiv made me care about characters right off the bat, to the point of emotionally invested so much I got angry if they even hinted my favorite character was going to be harmed. My exact words “Don’t you f’ing do it, Square!”

I think the only character to love and protect(for me anyway) is Quna. I find it a shame I feel that way.

But then the game has amazing combat that keeps me coming back for more, I still love this game.

@Wyverian4G said in Why I left FFXIV for PSO2:

@Sparhawk said in Why I left FFXIV for PSO2:

I'd like to care but it's just another drop in the bucket hoping for attention.

It really isn't, if you watched you know that I clearly don't shit on FFXIV, its content. Thanks anyway lol

yes yes thats what all the other dime a dozen videos say. Gotta seek that attention.

@Wyverian4G said in Why I left FFXIV for PSO2:

I'd like to care but it's just another drop in the bucket hoping for attention.

It really isn't, if you watched you know that I clearly don't shit on FFXIV, its content. Thanks anyway lol

yes yes thats what all the other dime a dozen videos say. Gotta seek that attention.

What’s your deal with OP’s video? It’s just sharing an opinion. If you don’t want to watch it then don’t.

@Sparhawk Op Is Sharing The joy

I don't like it that PSO2 and FFXIV are compared together.

FFXIV has a great world building and the NPC's has a believable background story. Yes, Stormblood was a mess from the story point. And the combat in FFXIV is indeed boring (sometimes I rly feel asleep while a dungeon run).

I feel PSO2 feels cheap somehow (it isnt attack on that game, I love this game). The story presentation is the worst. Animation while a dialogue are weird and cringe sometimes. And the story itself is somehow not original (besides the persona past travel part, they did there a rly great job). But the gameplay is rly sick. I never had so much fun since years. You have so many option and combo variants with just only one class. And it isnt gear dependent. You can flex with your sick skills here. The actions is program and the challenge is real.

But we cannot say that FFXIV is trash compared to PSO2 or reverse. They are two different games with different goals. I play FFXIV for the story and the immersion while I play PSO2 for the action, gameplay and challenge (and if FFXIV bores me).

delete pls. Accidentally posted the same post.

XIV is fantastic when you have a tight knit group of people to play with. I'm 'new' to PSO2 in that I have not played it since the JP release but I am enjoying the fact that I can pretty much bash buttons and find some rares. XIV requires a lot more time and concentration. I am surprised that anyone would try to compare the two they are very different games.

@Yggranya said in Why I left FFXIV for PSO2:

Since the developers made raids a requirement to progress, i just said "i'm out". And no, no one needs to tell me that "they are actually easy now". I don't give a damn as i will never do any of them.

Is this why people keep running with 12* weapons on XH? I wonder what will I see in UH difficulties now.

Fashion aside, if your goal is to just play a game on easy mode and experience a story, the wisest move is to stick to single player story games instead.

You can enjoy PSO2 and FFXIV and any other game you like, but I've started seeing more and more people crying about a game being too difficult because they just wanna have a Nintendo family friendly gameplay on everything...

FFXIV and PSO2 are very different to each other every time I see this comparison bought up I am thinking to myself why compare the two? Personally hate FFXIV since I find it boring and not a fan of the combat (I don't disgrace the people that like it but please don't start on me to try force me to like it) I personally prefer PSO2 since I find it super fun and the story to me at least is very interesting to play with the UQ bosses being in the story so I can fight them for fun or go on some proper UQs to get them Rare Drops 🙂

@YagyuChan Indeed, they are comparing why eating an orange is better than painting your house. The comparison is just dumb and the audience is not the same.

Edit: never mind... I just checked it and rather than a comparison is just the guy talking to his youtube audience... -.- Basically nothing to do with any game on itself, just a "I'm shifting the content of my channel" kind of thing...

@LyssaDhrak said in Why I left FFXIV for PSO2:

You can enjoy PSO2 and FFXIV and any other game you like, but I've started seeing more and more people crying about a game being too difficult because they just wanna have a Nintendo family friendly gameplay on everything...

That comment made me laugh, to be honest. I remember a lot of people crying pretty hard to get the Ixion fate boss nerfed so they could get their mount and it was mostly an issue with the number of people flooding the map to get the drops to get the mount at the time that made it difficult.

I stopped playing for two reasons, firstly because they made it easier for new players to catch up which I witnessed beforehand being abused in another MMO that led to people multi-boxing 30+ accounts at the same time to clear content on their own. The second reason was due to the need for having to be part of a static to clear content to get better gear and progress further because the average player struggled to clear raids in public runs unless they were carried. As a casual player who played periodically, this was difficult for me to do, so in the end I stopped playing.

@Milk Agree about the combat. This game... the gameplay itself (combat) is fun AF, affixing system and customization, the fashion and art style, the pso universe..... nnngggg. Love it all. Totally addicted.

The combat being fuuun is core to everything though for sure. Its what I loved about the first game too. Sega know how to make a game fun, something so many mmo fail at. Most fun Ive had with an online game for years.

The good thing about FFXIV is there maintenance doesn't keep going on all the time past when said it's going to end. FFXIV is a great game just needs better combat and updated graphics. Having square toes look pretty bad.

@YagyuChan said in Why I left FFXIV for PSO2:

FFXIV and PSO2 are very different to each other every time I see this comparison bought up I am thinking to myself why compare the two? Personally hate FFXIV since I find it boring and not a fan of the combat (I don't disgrace the people that like it but please don't start on me to try force me to like it) I personally prefer PSO2 since I find it super fun and the story to me at least is very interesting to play with the UQ bosses being in the story so I can fight them for fun or go on some proper UQs to get them Rare Drops 🙂

I think they just compare them because FFXIV is the most popular MMO now, before it was WoW and we had games trying to be the “one to beat” WoW’s popularity. I remember when Wildstar was compared like that and they were nothing alike, either.

I don’t like FFXIV’s combat either but I have found Dancer to be fun to look at, at least. I also vastly prefer their Sunmoner to ours, the rotation for that class is so complex! But the feeling of being in the moment is just kind of lost on me when I can just lock on target and press a key. Imagine how amazing raids would be in that game if they had PSO2’s combat! Especially Nier raids!

@Doom-Smack said in Why I left FFXIV for PSO2:

@Milk Agree about the combat. This game... the gameplay itself (combat) is fun AF, affixing system and customization, the fashion and art style, the pso universe..... nnngggg. Love it all. Totally addicted.

The combat being fuuun is core to everything though for sure. Its what I loved about the first game too. Sega know how to make a game fun, something so many mmo fail at. Most fun Ive had with an online game for years.

Haha agreed with all that except affixing, I hate it. I’m having the same experience, nothing has gotten me this pumped to play an MMO since FFXIV’s Heavensward expansion. I just checked my hours, 1245 hours playing this! That’s as long as FFXIV and I’ve been playing that since launch. There’s something special about PSO2.