Why I left FFXIV for PSO2

maxresdefault (5).jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HY8vWeFvsI

Hey all! i'm Wyverian, Mostly a Monster Hunter Content Creator who's dipping his toes into PSO2 content creation! This is not my first PSO2 video but it is the best so far. Expect more to come including guides and more! you can find me at these links below!

https://twitter.com/wyverian_MH https://www.youtube.com/c/wyverian

I am planning to left PSO2 JP after 7 years playing it for FFXIV

Hmm I just play both, they’re good in their own ways. Prefer story and boss mechanics in ffxiv, prefer combat and character creator in pso2.

@Milk Which is great, it all comes down to whatever else i'm playing. Playing two mmo's on top of playing Monster Hunter 75 percent of the time is insane for me to keep up with outside of other things i do in life lol

@Wyverian4G said in Why I left FFXIV for PSO2:

@Milk Which is great, it all comes down to whatever else i'm playing. Playing two mmo's on top of playing Monster Hunter 75 percent of the time is insane for me to keep up with outside of other things i do in life lol

Ahh I love MH! My favorite is MH3U but I usually play MHW nowadays. The combat actually helped me get used to PSO2, you pay the same costly mistakes if a monster hits you.

I would love if we had a Lance like in MH, the exact moves. I want to be able to charge!

I'd like to care but it's just another drop in the bucket hoping for attention.

@Sparhawk said in Why I left FFXIV for PSO2:

I'd like to care but it's just another drop in the bucket hoping for attention.

It really isn't, if you watched you know that I clearly don't shit on FFXIV, its content. Thanks anyway lol

Honestly it's getting harder and harder for me to remain interested in XIV anymore. The game was fantastic during ARR and Heavensward, but ever since Stormblood it's just gone so far down the toilet - everything now just feels like SE is ticking off a checklist without actually putting any effort into the game.

The fact that I'm contemplating if I really want to slog through three hours of cut-scenes just to get access to a single dungeon, or grind through four more bosses that offer literally no challenge for gear that I'm going to replace in three months or just play Crisis Core instead kind of brings it all into light of how little XIV does to excite me anymore.

The closest Shadowbringers has come to actually keeping me enthralled was with the Bozjan Southern Front, but one slice of good content against a mountain of bad content just doesn't cut it anymore. Between PSO2, Shadowlands, and even Beyond Light, XIV just feels so terribly dated and irrelevant right now compared to the other MMOs I'm playing.

It also doesn't help that it's story has completely fallen into anime-gutter levels of plot armor and story telling. I mean, yeah PSO2 is basically "Anime - the JRPG", but it wears it's inspiration on it's sleeve, isn't afraid to poke fun at it's self, and still manages to tell a compelling story without relying on too many tropes.

XIV? Any time the story starts to meander towards something that's morally gray, or actually seems like a compelling plot device or world building element, the developers immediately reign it back and instead force-feed you the idea that the Light is good, the Dark is bad, and that everything is black and white.

So yeah, I'm with you Wyverian. I don't blame you at all for dropping XIV for PSO2. SE just doesn't seem to care to put any real effort into the game anymore, which is a shame. XIV had so much potential when it launched, but now it's just kind of turned into another generic WoW clone with no real soul of it's own.

The Major Flaw With FFxiv Is Its Combat Mechanics And The Subs Fee. The Visual Effect Of Moves Are Nice And The Choreography And Boss Monster Phases. Very Interactive Clan Housing Zones Feels Like Mini Towns. Thats Most Of The Positives. It's a Cool Down Game The Mechanic Becomes Stale. Especially In Pvp

Since the developers made raids a requirement to progress, i just said "i'm out". And no, no one needs to tell me that "they are actually easy now". I don't give a damn as i will never do any of them.

The story was/is terrible, as is the norm in japanese writing. While the story was never of any real importance to me, the Yotsuyu part was the most blatantly stupid thing ever written. A little sob story for someone with a pretty face is supposed to make you feel bad for an unhinged monster, and oh yes, it worked beautifully yet again. Disgusting. At least she died, which i admit was a surprise. Was not surprised that the WoL wasn't allowed to deliver the final blow. A little stomp on the head would have been a fitting end.

Damn, i really should stop writing so much inane BS. shrug

FFXIV story is honestly the best writing for an MMO I’ve ever seen, though I did like Stormblood a lot less than the other expansions. I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so much or cried so much over an MMO.

However, PSO2 has some good moments too. I still get emotional over ep1 ending, it was just written so well!

@Milk said in Why I left FFXIV for PSO2:

FFXIV story is honestly the best writing for an MMO I’ve ever seen, though I did like Stormblood a lot less than the other expansions. I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so much or cried so much over an MMO.

However, PSO2 has some good moments too. I still get emotional over ep1 ending, it was just written so well!

I agree! I would expect nothing less from SE.

@Blade-Syphon said in Why I left FFXIV for PSO2:

Honestly it's getting harder and harder for me to remain interested in XIV anymore. The game was fantastic during ARR and Heavensward, but ever since Stormblood it's just gone so far down the toilet - everything now just feels like SE is ticking off a checklist without actually putting any effort into the game.

The fact that I'm contemplating if I really want to slog through three hours of cut-scenes just to get access to a single dungeon, or grind through four more bosses that offer literally no challenge for gear that I'm going to replace in three months or just play Crisis Core instead kind of brings it all into light of how little XIV does to excite me anymore.

The closest Shadowbringers has come to actually keeping me enthralled was with the Bozjan Southern Front, but one slice of good content against a mountain of bad content just doesn't cut it anymore. Between PSO2, Shadowlands, and even Beyond Light, XIV just feels so terribly dated and irrelevant right now compared to the other MMOs I'm playing.

It also doesn't help that it's story has completely fallen into anime-gutter levels of plot armor and story telling. I mean, yeah PSO2 is basically "Anime - the JRPG", but it wears it's inspiration on it's sleeve, isn't afraid to poke fun at it's self, and still manages to tell a compelling story without relying on too many tropes.

XIV? Any time the story starts to meander towards something that's morally gray, or actually seems like a compelling plot device or world building element, the developers immediately reign it back and instead force-feed you the idea that the Light is good, the Dark is bad, and that everything is black and white.

So yeah, I'm with you Wyverian. I don't blame you at all for dropping XIV for PSO2. SE just doesn't seem to care to put any real effort into the game anymore, which is a shame. XIV had so much potential when it launched, but now it's just kind of turned into another generic WoW clone with no real soul of it's own.

I disagree it's made it different from FFXI which I think is a good thing. If anything doesn't have a soul it's PSO2... in fact it's a prime symbol of how much Sega has dragged the Phantasy Star name through the mud ever since PSU existed... Oh and did I mention that PSO2 is just PSO in name only? If anything. It's really PSU2 with the PSO name covering it with the combat mechanics lifted straight from Portable 2/Infinity but modified.

Although the core gameplay alone without the BS surrounding it is pretty good despite this.

"why i left my wife for pso2" would have been a more fun title tho

@KOSMOSFAN22497 said in Why I left FFXIV for PSO2:

I disagree it's made it different from FFXI which I think is a good thing. If anything doesn't have a soul it's PSO2... in fact it's a prime symbol of how much Sega has dragged the Phantasy Star name through the mud ever since PSU existed... Oh and did I mention that PSO2 is just PSO in name only? If anything. It's really PSU2 with the PSO name covering it with the combat mechanics lifted straight from Portable 2/Infinity but modified.

See, if we were talking about ARR, or HW, I'd agree with you.

But from STormblood on? No, absolutely not, I have to disagree with you at a fundamental level in pretty much every respect. The fact that Elidibus' story was wrapped up in a single patch, with his "true form" being a literal model rip from Dissidia is pretty much what killed it for me in XIV, and expecting them to ever actually put effort into the game again.

And lo and behold at my "Surprise" when they rip yet another model from Dissidia and slap it into the new Eden Raid. Because hey, why bother trying when we can just do quick copy past jobs.

XIV just has no soul, especially compared to XI.

I'm also not really getting where you're coming from with PSO2 being "Souless" compared to PSO. Phantasy Star Online 2 was never intended to be a direct sequel to PSO, so no, it wasn't going to cover the same locations or grounds as the original game. And obviously the game play is going to be markedly different, considering PSO is almost two decades old now, and had major design constraints placed on it because of that.

PSO2 walks at the beat of it's own drum, telling a story that's uniquely it's own, while still giving little nods to older games in the Phantasy Star series (in particular the original quadrilogy).

XIV? It's long since past trying to tell it's own story in Eorzea, and is now 90% fan service, taking content straight from other Final Fantasy games with no explanation other than "We know you liked this character from Final Fantasy XII, so here he is again!".