Ability to type "foreign" characters

Hi!

I've been thinking for a while now: Is there a particular reason why players cannot type accented characters or unicode characters such as Chinese / Japanese / Korean?

PSO2 is a Global game now, so there are going to be many players who come from non-english speaking countries who will want to speak with each other, and the ability to type accents in game would be important for this so there's no confusion in discussion. Furthermore, even if the game kept itself to NA (or more accurately, US/CA, since it was never North America), both the US and CA have many other languages than just English due to modern immigration to these areas in the 1700s.

The game can handle them, as they show up when typed, but when you try to submit a message, the message is not sent through. Please could this functionality be added? Items and areas have accented letters, so it only makes sense.

I'm assuming this is due to not wanting people to bypass the censor, but there's got to be a better way considering the demographic that PSO2 is aiming for.

Furthermore, the alt+enter character (line break) also counts as an invalid character, and it would be nice to at least be able to type that.

is simply because those languages are not in the enty coding of this version and it makes sense when you consider that both Japan and China are not covered in the Global version, now I don't know if there are other alphabets in the Global version than the latin to be sure if languages like Russian or Arabic can be used in the Global version

@Jamesmor said in Ability to type "foreign" characters:

is simply because those languages are not in the enty coding of this version and it makes sense when you consider that both Japan and China are not covered in the Global version

Japanese text can be put into quest party names. I saw one this past week. Either that, or the person was running the JP client.

@Matt it depends on the language setting if on Xbox one or the fonts you have installed if on PC 💻

@TURION-MOONSTAR said in Ability to type "foreign" characters:

@Matt it depends on the language setting if on Xbox one or the fonts you have installed if on PC 💻

You can copy/paste Japanese text and try to put it into chat, but it doesn't post to the server. Even with correct languages installed. (Auto chat also posts nothing if you use japanese characters or try to put in a line break.)

I think this is deliberate or a bug, because you can send messages using "special" characters in various places, most importantly via chat using shortcuts (not autochat.)

@coldreactive Pretty sure it's just people who use japanese as text setting. The JP client is entirely separate and you can't play on Global using it.Edit to elaborate: It doesn't allow them to type in japanese but since they have their game set in japanese, the quests are posted with their text setting and thus in japanese.

@coldreactive for what I know they can't but people always finds ways to bypass the limitations of inputs of languages

I just mentioned a bypass, it does not delete your "foreign" text if you use them in a shortcut.

It's specially weird considering how you can send stuff like áíéúóàâêôãõç in the Japanese client even if it's not rendered but can't in the "global" client. You literally can't send the name of the étoile class or some of the clothing items of the latest AC scratch like Escuridão or Oscurità in the chat. You can type it, the font renders it, you can search for it on the market, but you can't send it on chat.

No error sound or anything, doesn't even deactivate the chat window like it does when you successfully send a message or command. (When not using direct chat, that is.) Doesn't seem like a bug but deliberate. If you can send it through macro then it isn't a proper blacklist either.

Absolutely mind boggling.

@Matt I agree, they should add this feature.