We need more games like Universe,/Portable/Nova! (let's show the devs that there is demand for it!)

I cannot be the only one who seriously misses games like these! I am currently going through a full English translation of Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity and holy shit have I missed the Portable series. Playing this is really a massive nostalgia trip and I cannot help but think there is still room for games like Universe/Portable/Nova to be released if done in the same kind of way that those were made. I would especially pay a full 79.99$ CAD for a re release of Nova with a full translation on PS4,Switch,PC wherever really. I would also really love full blown remakes/remasters of Universe/Portable. Come on SEGA, you have a lot of fans in the West, and possibly a ton of brand new ones thanks to PSO2 NA and the coming New Genesis expansion/rework, don't miss a good money opportunity, cash in on the cow while the milk is fresh. I know there are petitions out there for Nova alone to be translated and there even is the ArksLayer team that has done an almost complete translation for Nova, only missing the story. Please do something with these series! Someones has to relay this to SEGA of Japan or some shit.

It would be nice to have a remake of Phantasy Star Portable / 2 on PC/PS4. But I doubt we'll get a new Universe game when this game exists.

@coldreactive Its alright by me, I'd want Portable to be revived more than anything. There is so much customization in this game and the Infinity 'expansion' that we never had adds so much, its insane. Heck why not make a simple 1080p+ modern controls remaster of Portable 1,2 Infinity and Nova in one crazy value package? That would be amazing to me. I'd easily pay whatever they would ask for this.

PSU really was a solid game that was pretty much dead on arrival in the US thanks to it "Not being Phantasy Star Online" (and Sega's absolutely horrid mishandling of it over here).

The game deserved a lot more than what it got, that's for sure. I do agree that at the very least, an offline with local or peer to peer multiplayer version of PSU Episode 1,2, and 3 would be nice to have ,since as it stands right now Episode 3 is still unplayable, as I don't even think [redacted] has the story content available on it (unless I'm mistaken on that one).

@Blade-Syphon You mean the Ambition of the Illuminus? On PS2 its playable offline as a separate add on, but I think its unplayable on xbox 360.

@Ryuzaki-Morgoth

No, there was a third online only episode that continued AotI's story after the Guardian Colony crashed on Parum. Episode 1 and 2 are both still playable offline on the PC version as well I believe, it's just Episode 3, that wrapped up all of PSU's story, was only available as an online episode.

I imagine once upon a time, Sega did probably have plans on bringing it offline with another expansion but, well, we know how that all panned out.

Or can we just get a western release of PSO2 Nova for the Switch or something? Please SEGA??????

@Blade-Syphon Damn! Well that sucks.. As for PSU, I'd play it on PC, but it refuses to recognize any of my controllers so I'm gonna have to settle for the ps2 emulation with my actual discs I guess 😞

@Jman Its part of what I said sir! I'd pay anything they ask for this. Holy crap.

@Ryuzaki-Morgoth

Try using Xpadder if you haven't. PSU is old, and I think the only controller it recognized at the time was the Logitech Dualshock and the 360 Wired Controller. But Xpadder should circumvent that if you're using a DS4 or a One X Controller.

@Blade-Syphon Hm yeah I could try that, but I'm gonna have to look into which option gives me the best visuals+ performance.

@Ryuzaki-Morgoth There is a semi-english translated version of PSO2 Nova, however it requires a jail broken PSVita since it is a custom rom (which I haven't jail broken my VIta).

Another and much more frustrating way to play PSO2 Nova is what I do is using Google Translate App which you can use your camera to translate written text and play the Japanese version. It is still very difficult since the App is not exactly clear what it is translating but, yeah it kind of works. Japanese PSO2 Nova is cheap at least, got mine for $9 USD.

@Blade-Syphon said in We need more games like Universe,/Portable/Nova! (let's show the devs that there is demand for it!):

@Ryuzaki-Morgoth

No, there was a third online only episode that continued AotI's story after the Guardian Colony crashed on Parum. Episode 1 and 2 are both still playable offline on the PC version as well I believe, it's just Episode 3, that wrapped up all of PSU's story, was only available as an online episode.

I imagine once upon a time, Sega did probably have plans on bringing it offline with another expansion but, well, we know how that all panned out.

According to a Japanese developer interview, there were plans for each expansion to have their own individual Offline version disc. However in the end, Ambitions of the Illuminus sold quite poorly in Japan. This, on top of a series of ongoing technical problems the Japanese version was facing (PSU sold quite well in Japan, but that didn't translate to paying subscribers) lead to Sega cancelling the third expansion disc in favour of working on PSU's successor (which would go on to become PSO2) a year after Ambitions of the Illuminus had just released.

As for Phantasy Star Nova, I personally believe that one was caught up in a bit of a internal embargo on Phantasy Star content in the West, from my own memory the franchise's anniversary wasn't even celebrated in the West. With PSO2 and IDOLA now released outside of Japan, about the only hurdle standing in the way of a Global release of PS Nova is the fact that its a PlayStation Vita game and the Vita's discontinued. The only way we'd get to see that title localized is if Sega were to port it to Switch or PC. In general, localization aside, PS Nova wouldn't require much to begin with as that game did not have an online mode but rather a local co-op mode.

@Leonkh99 Just need a translation and that's it. PSO2 Nova is a pretty awesome game since it's essentially a offline single player PSO2. Everything you are familiar with the game now, is what is in Nova. One thing that is kind of neat that is not in this version is custom upgrades in Nova have visual esthetic to them.

The game was developed by Tri-Ace, AKA Star Ocean team and it has a space opera feel to it.

@Jman I'll be sure to pull up the original quote when I can! Regarding the server instability and issues that plagued the JP release, you can find that here: https://w.atwiki.jp/gcmatome/pages/2728.html (as well as several other JP sources that bring it up)