If you can fit it into tomorrow's maintenance, please correct the "Rivalate" weapons.

No pitchforks, no raging, just a simple request to correct what's perhaps a localization oversight.

Rivalate-Liberate.png

"Rivalate" is not a word. But it DOES sound rather close to how "Liberate" might be spelled using Katakana. (lit. "ri-ba-re-to") Plus there's the weapon potential to factor here, "Liberated Fang". . . It's a bit of a giveaway at that one. So please - even if it can't be fit into this maintenance schedule - please correct "Rivalate" to "Liberate" as it's far more likely to have been intended.

@Matt said in Road to / Episode 6:

Rivalate is not wrong though and it's understandable how they came to the conclusion of Rivalate.
In Japanese, リベレ一ト is the word for Liberate. However, the weapon is リバレイト, which is decidedly different, so the translators realised that translating to Liberate would not actually be correct. The weapon name is most certainly based off the word Liberate, but it is not an exact match, and the English translation reflects that.
While I do think Rivalate sounds decidedly worse than Liberate, it is not wrong by any means. There's many issues with the translation, but this is not one of them. Basing your knowledge of the localisation off the fan patch and then criticising it is not a good look.
As for the potential, the potential is not in Katakana (the phonetic alphabet), but rather it's in Kanji: 解放の牙, which translates as Liberation's Fang or something similar.

Basically, it's not wrong.

When you look at the many times localization seems to trip over the old R/L confusions between Japanese and English - something that really shouldn't be a thing in gaming anymore in 2020 - it looks like quite a swing and a miss. Still, if it in fact was not originally intended to be "Liberate" but close to it, that's fine. Weird, but fine.

I think this should close the question: https://www.facebook.com/liberate.salon/

alt text

If a mothertongue translates "リバレイト" to Liberate, then it's definitely liberate.

@Theuberclips if you type in リベレ一ト in google (not google translate) and what you are going to find is Biohazard "Revelations". Like no one uses リベレ一ト to mean liberate, it is very uncommon.

@HarmlessSyan said in If you can fit it into tomorrow's maintenance, please correct the "Rivalate" weapons.:

@Theuberclips if you type in リベレ一ト in google (not google translate) and what you are going to find is Biohazard "Revelations". Like no one uses リベレ一ト to mean liberate, it is very uncommon.

None is RIVALATE though.

I've having a look around and there's countless usage of the word Liberate spelled リバレイト, リベレイト and also リベレート, most likely because English speakers are amazing and don't pronounce it the same around the wrong.

For example in the UK I'd probably say it with a ベ, but I can see it being バ in US English.

Also to respond to the above, when it comes to katakana naming, there's generally no correct answer unless it's specifically meant to be an English word. Unless Occuld is now a word or something.

Anyway we should compromise... Riverlate anyone?

Disclaimer: Not an expert on Japanese, so if I'm incorrect anywhere, feel free to correct me. Always eager to learn more about other languages.

However, from my understanding, there really isn't many 100%, always consistent Katakana -> English translations simply because English has significantly more sounds then Japanese, which creates a lot of overlap in multiple usages of the same kana word having different translations depending on the context (i.e. ファルス, which is commonly translated as "phallus," being translated as "Falz," or シャト, which SEGA has translated as "Sato," "Shato," and "Chato," before finally settling on the French word for cat, "Chat").

So basically, without any context, kana can basically be translated to any English word that sounds similar to it, so both "Liberate" and "Rivalate" would be correct (assuming we're not automatically eliminating made-up words). While there is context in the form of the weapon's potential, written in kanji, which indicates that "Liberate" was the basis for リベレ一ト, it's always possible that SEGA always intended for リベレ一ト to be a corruption of "Liberate" instead of the word itself.

Basically, at the end of the day, both "Liberate" and "Rivalate" are accurate translations, but we don't really have any way to know what SEGA JP originally intended. The people who are most-likely to know are the localizers themselves, but considering that the game does have quite a few areas that are pretty-irrefutably inconsistently translated (such as changing the translation of "Gurhal" to "Grahl," as well as simultaneously using the "Sato" and "Chat" translation up until a recent update), I can't blame people for not wanting to give the localization team the benefit of the doubt.

EDIT: Oh right, it's also possible that "Rivalate" wasn't the original intent, but the localizers proposed it, and SEGA JP liked it and gave it the okay. Tbh, we'll probably never know since... most people probably just wouldn't be interested in a localization diary, unfortunately.

Holy shit i tought it was "rivelate" XD

Can we just all compromise and call them Ravioli weapons?

Just like the Lightstream/Trailblazer stone is called an Armpit stone. Founder's Armpit, Circular Armpit Stone, same thing.

Again, I don't see why this matters at all. It's not a mistranslated definition which would throw you off about how something works or is intended to work. It's literally just a name. Which can be anything really and has no relevance on gameplay. Call is a ravioli weapon like @Theuberclips suggested and move on. Save the translation outrage for things that actually impact gameplay.

@Vexation said in If you can fit it into tomorrow's maintenance, please correct the "Rivalate" weapons.:

Again, I don't see why this matters at all. It's not a mistranslated definition which would throw you off about how something works or is intended to work. It's literally just a name. Which can be anything really and has no relevance on gameplay. Call is a ravioli weapon like @Theuberclips suggested and move on. Save the translation outrage for things that actually impact gameplay.

This.

I mean, we're talking about Phantasy Star here, a game that's no stranger to taking simple enemy names and items, and turning them into something silly to make it sound sci-fi.

Does no one remember the De Ragan from PSU?

Save the translation outrage for things that actually impact gameplay.

No outrage here. In fact I opened with:

No pitchforks, no raging, just a simple request to correct what's perhaps a localization oversight.

I know we're kinda used to overblown reactions/responses here, but there's no harm in saying "hey, this looks/is a bit off. Can you fix it as part of the next maintenance?"

Rivalate sounds like some trendy health drink.

@Blade-Syphon said in If you can fit it into tomorrow's maintenance, please correct the "Rivalate" weapons.:

I mean, we're talking about Phantasy Star here, a game that's no stranger to taking simple enemy names and items, and turning them into something silly to make it sound sci-fi.

Like when Pelorimate became Cola!

@Blade-Syphon said in If you can fit it into tomorrow's maintenance, please correct the "Rivalate" weapons.:

Does no one remember the De Ragan from PSU?

That might be a bad example. If I recall they purposefully derivated from Dragon even in Japanese to distinguish it from the Forest boss in Online. They did that a few times if I remember.