WHICH SCION CLASS DO YOU THINK IS THE STRONGEST? HERO? PHANTOM? ETOILE? LUSTER?

If only I could do a poll but I guess I will just gather opinion on why people think their pick is the strongest out of the four.

You could've made a google form poll or strawpoll and just linked it.

That said, I don't think Hero will ever be the strongest. I prefer Etoile because it has high survivability.

I feel that "strongest" is extremely objective over classes that are much looser (in practice) on how players can approach doing damage. This isn't quite as cut-and-clear as classes like Gunner/Fighter where you can spend time practicing the strongest and hardest-hitting rotations repeatedly to set up situations where you're always dishing out the highest possible damage. Classes like the Hero and Luster are very big on being "free-form" classes where most of your photon arts deal relatively equal damage and as a result you're attacking with style, responding to enemies, and being rewarded for playing into your class gimmicks (in the case of the Hero this is by being rewarded with Hero Time quickly when you cycle weapons and photon arts and utilize counter-attacks whereas classes like the Luster open up further the more you gain voltage and maintain your combat momentum).

These four classes in particular are a lot more like "flavor" classes where the optimal way to play is really to play to your comfort within the bounds of the class mechanics. There are definitely very bad habits to get from these classes and Phantasy Star Online 2 as a whole does not particularly punish players for those bad habits (such as players who rely on Shifted Kugelsturm for the Rifle-Phantom or players who rely on holding Rising Slash for the Hero). When you get to the very high-end content where you play it solo then you will start to see that some of these attacks start to work less but for a large majority of the game content (and especially when casually playing) there is no punishment to playing lazily or sloppily because most attempts at Sega trying to "clean" that up has been met with backlash.

When you use the Etoile, Phantom, and Luster as subclasses you definitely will see a lot more freedom in your gameplay because the players are no longer restricted to specific conditions (such as the TAJA Bonus/Brave (Valiant)-Wise Stance/Low Health conditions from the Fighter) and because you end up picking a lot of conveniences and quality-of-life changes to the classes and overall gameplay whether it's the support for better photon point management (on top of speedcasting and critical rate/damage support) form the Phantom or if it's having what's essentially a packed up version of the Hunter/Fighter/Summoner's skill trees all-in-one as for personal support from the Etoile on top of becoming much tankier than normal.

I personally largely play as a Gunner/Fighter or a Hero but that doesn't stop me from enjoying and playing other classes though to me nothing quite matches the speed of the Hero other than the Luster. The Luster themselves have a number of "overloaded" features that feel extremely natural and intuitive when you play them which really starts to dig at the feeling of the older classes due to how much they can do without even touching the photon arts.

The correct answer is Luster which is currently the strongest class in like 90% of content in the game.

depends on content they are being compared in, but in general luster > hero ≥ phantom > etoile. etoile has some niche areas where it remains very strong (endless, divide quest), but it's noticeably weaker than the other 3 for raid bosses.

I’ve gotta try them all first. So far Hero seems pretty strong though.

Better question:

When will they do a balancing pass to make it so Scion classes don't tower over everything else?

I've heard multiple times about how "When X class comes out you'll switch to that because Y reason"

How about no. I want to stay as a Techter, why does it and everything else need to be completely outclassed by the Scion classes?

@The-Raven said in WHICH SCION CLASS DO YOU THINK IS THE STRONGEST? HERO? PHANTOM? ETOILE? LUSTER?:

The correct answer is Luster which is currently the strongest class in like 90% of content in the game.

Explain further. = w=

@Zarozion said in WHICH SCION CLASS DO YOU THINK IS THE STRONGEST? HERO? PHANTOM? ETOILE? LUSTER?:

@The-Raven said in WHICH SCION CLASS DO YOU THINK IS THE STRONGEST? HERO? PHANTOM? ETOILE? LUSTER?:

Explain further. = w=

Luster has an ability that basically extends the shoot/gun system where depending on the element of the weapon used, you become a tank, DPS, etc. In addition, your skills completely can change.

@Furious said in WHICH SCION CLASS DO YOU THINK IS THE STRONGEST? HERO? PHANTOM? ETOILE? LUSTER?:

Better question:

When will they do a balancing pass to make it so Scion classes don't tower over everything else?

I've heard multiple times about how "When X class comes out you'll switch to that because Y reason"

How about no. I want to stay as a Techter, why does it and everything else need to be completely outclassed by the Scion classes?

Unfortunately, they won't do a thing that will allow basic classes to actually compete with scion classes in demanding content. There are a few cases where basic classes can out perform a scion, but those are very few. Since every update is done on the JP side where almost everyone plays a scion class or has a pocket scion class where their basic class doesn't shine, there isn't a demand to balance the basic classes to truly compete. NGS is around the corner so putting resources into basic class balance is a waste from the business standpoint, so you'll probably have to wait until then to play your basic class which will definitely have scion class elements in that game.

You will have players that say that you can play whatever class you want to clear just about any content which is true, but some basic classes will never compete with scion classes in some of the more demanding content in terms of damage output and clear times. This is based on players considered to be of equal caliber of their respective classes. Obviously the biggest factor will be how good the player is, but if you say that a basic class can compete with a scion class in Eternal Rondo based on effort alone then you're blatantly full of it.

No question about it though, Luster dominates even within the scion classes. Going to quote a very good Luster player will some of the best clear times in TAs and endless scores: "Luster's damage output is if Fighter had 100% Limit Break uptime." That's not even considering situations where we have extremely mobile and aggressive enemies where counter damage has the highest DPS output, PP efficiency, palette space, not dealing with a class that has demerits on its skills, and difference in potential AoE of the class weapons.

@Furious Funny thing is no class even comes remotely close to taking the place of Techter. Techter is a support class thats always relevent no matter what. Just because you dont output huge amounts of damage yourself, you make up for by boosting the damage of everyone else by far more than if you were just playing another class. Also none of the scions tower over the base classes. They just feel like they do because theyre just arent so 1 dimensional in terms of gameplay. The base classes have gotten absurdly massively buffs to make up for it when Hero was originally introduced and still to this day are getting buffed more and more. They even get an entire new class of PA's called Complex PAs that are disgustingly powerful that scions dont get access to. Imo they should have just hardcore reworked all of the classes so they play like scion classes just so they dont feel awful to play in terms of fluidity. Otherwise in terms of damage, some of the most powerful classes are the base classes and it just compounds even further when a scion is set as a sub class.

Bellion's post followed by Arcflare's is the funniest thing I have ever seen.

However, Bellion's post is the correct one as Scion classes overpowering the regular classes was always the goal, they just had to do it more subtley after the backlash that Hero received on release. If they had released 3 or 4 Scion classes with Episode 5 that people could upgrade to, I think there wouldn't have been the same backlash at all as there's generally something for most people.

The only class that truly keeps up with the scions overall is FoEt.

That being said, the main thing that determines performance is the skill of the player, it's just Scions can go further. Luster has (almost) all the best times and scores now due to how powerful it is, and the fact that power players such as Monosashi have adopted it as their "main".

I only started playing when the game was already out on steam so Hero is my first experience with a Scion class at all. However, I will be trying all of them at some point cause why not? Gotta find what suits me best after all.

I personally like the Phantom class, specifically using the rifle. One big reason I like it is the Tech Cast dodge can be partially powerful since it can give you about 1 second of complete invulnerability.

I had heard that. I've been so hyped for Phantom to hit and now the road to episode six is finally here but I still gotta wait till like end of December to actually play it and I'm so annoyed when I've been waiting so long already AH!