ARKS League: Don't do this!!

@Vexation I always thought the same... I've used the overlay map before but never thought about spawns as static. I always figured it was spawned via rng

@Miraglyth Well to put this plainly, then you are shit out of luck. If only your own kills counted, then it would be even worse with people in the same instance, but since people would put a password and do it solo i think it would work better. No team work, but at least you could do your precious competition in peace.

@Milk damn, I miraculously scored second place in the league

@ZhaoYun96

Congrats! Second is really good. I can usually pull second if I’m not distracted but lately there’s always someone in first by over 500 kill difference. The first week of League I used to get first but people are a lot more competitive and knowledgeable now.

@Yggranya said in ARKS League: Don't do this!!:

If only your own kills counted, then it would be even worse with people in the same instance

Probably yeah, that'd introduce its own set of problems, perhaps most of all that presumably only the person who gets the killing hit would get credit which is a bit RNG. But also that when killing gets really fast, sometimes enemies basically spawn dead for players further away from the Western US server (which is already a small problem for PP management for travel PAs in seriously fast groups, but it'd be way worse if it affected kill credit directly).

Rather than that I was thinking there should be a tolerance for ties so some leagues weren't decided by one person joining a game 2 seconds before another. Failing that, a better tail-off of rewards (100-50-30-10-10 is kind of brutal on 4th place, 80-60-40-20-10 would spread the wealth better IMO) would really bring the heavy consequence of joining a game 2 seconds later down to be less of an impact. At this point it's just feedback. Hopefully we're done with Bewitched Woods as a league location after tonight.

@ZhaoYun96 @Milk Was there a league a couple hours ago? Curse the missing schedule. I couldn't have planned for that if there was.

@Miraglyth

I’m not sure, I’m sick in bed so if there was I missed it too. 😞

It doesn't seem there was. Missed leagues show up in the ARKS League History listing, and the 1 Times Ago league is the last one I took part in.

The only one today is in an hour.

@Miraglyth Well once i got to, i don't remember which, but it was 1-3 place and i don't even know what enemies i was supposed to be killing when it was on, i was just doing missions. Maybe peoples standing is based on if you compete against people who really care or people who don't even know, or care about it.

Since it's random, being pitted against beginners would be an easy victory. What i did was probably something like that, and i was probably supposed to kill falspawn, so i got high standing without even trying. shrug

But the enticing rewards are, no surprise, a motivation for most people. I went to the bewiched woods during one of these leagues and i was doing it solo for about 20 minutes when an announcement came that said "league ends in 1 hour" and i though to myself "well i'm done". I was on second place when i quit. When it ended, i was on 11 (i think). Which is to say, there were many people even less interested than i was.

I’m starting to wonder if it depends on how competitive your ship is. I logged in for League tonight but I was super freaking late and placed second. First place lately is always gunning for it but anything below that has been very rare. When I looked at the board, first was clearly trying and everything 3rd and below wasn’t even 200 kills.

I have an alt on another ship, I’ll see how it’s like when I can and compare.

I'm on ship three and I often get at least the 10SG for doing hardly anything. Must not be a lot of try hards or I'm not placed in a group with them. Think I recall it saying to make it fair they placed you in groups with other people of a similar skill level. So cause I rarely participate the ones I'm placed with don't either and that's why Mira keeps being placed with the same group of try hards.

Similar Merit.PNG

Alternatively you could work with second or first to tie so that you both get 100 sg, just did it right now. 2b25b02d-7d4b-497c-89ef-25ed8657f961-image.png
Some may not trust you but those who do makes it really easy to catch up and tie

@Mavrick-X said in ARKS League: Don't do this!!:

Alternatively you could work with second or first to tie so that you both get 100 sg, just did it right now. 2b25b02d-7d4b-497c-89ef-25ed8657f961-image.png
Some may not trust you but those who do makes it really easy to catch up and tie

Nice

@Mavrick-X

Nice! My husband and I tied last time, we didn’t even know you could. Oddly enough even though the board showed we both placed third, he got less SG than I did.

@Vexation

It’s just confusing as heck. When I did go for gold I was closer to 3k kills yet I keep getting placed in groups who don’t try at all(maybe don’t even notice?). Sure the current first I’m seeing is around 2.5k kills but why do we keep getting paired with such low kills then? Third only had 180 kills, everything below it under 100. I even recognize first place guy and I keep getting him!

oh yah here's some advice on preventing falspawn from spawning, a player standing in a different block that has not yet been cleared recently before the current one being slaughter is cleared, the block with one player will not spawn mobs. So if you have a situation where there are back to back falspawn or you are so ahead you don't have to worry, go stand in the next block to prevent falspawns