So why does trading cost money?

I mean I get that games cost money, but this just screams predatory micro-transactions. Not a very good look tbh...

Trading isn't required to get anywhere in this game, and even those that have premium almost never use the feature. If you mean the player shop system itself, shop permits exist via the FUN scratch, with points being obtainable in massive amounts via the Excube shop. With how easy it is to get said cubes from just playing the game, getting one isn't a matter of if, only when.

Free players have the ability to get pretty much anything from just playing the game.

I posted this on another thread, so I'll just quote myself here.

At least in my opinion, monetization isn't heavy. What I have bought with real money (scratch items and premium) is because I wanted to buy it. Not because the game forced me into it to progress. In fact, I buy AC scratch and sell some of it just to buy more cosmetics (this is where most monetization seems focused on, and that's actually ok). My in game income for gear is separate from my cosmetic income. Even stuff like premium drink and premium triboost is not as necessary as some people want you to think. Many hardcore players doing extremely well on the current most difficult content are free players.

And right now at this stage, the game is handing great weapons and units like candy, and the process to grind weapons nowadays is super simplified. So there's no excuse to not go to end game with actually useful +10 12* units and a +35 14* weapon. This is right now the very bare minimum we should be seeing people entering XH content with. And with all the bonus keys raining down on us, leveling to at least 85 is very easy to do as well.

On the subject of player shops, you get if I remember, those 3 day passes from FUN scratch. They are RNG of course, but they are there. Just save the stuff you want to sell for when you get it. If storage is a problem, get the 90 day 500 space extended storage 1 from the SG shop by using your freely obtained SG. While selling on the player shop and direct trading may help boost your character a little faster and help your friends more directly, all of the game can be played for fully free (and there's a trick to even give stuff to your friends by using your room and certain furnishings). Everyone can max their gear and everyone can do well in end game regardless of being premium or not. You just have to take an extra step or two to get this or that. But it's not like the eternal grind Korean MMOs force their free players to suffer through.

This game does have problems and I won't defend it on those. But monetization isn't one of them as far as I see.

@SuccubusAlice so you have no defense of it being paywalled, but because you don't have any friends to give items to you think it doesn't matter?

@ZorokiHanuke well tbh I just want to give items to my friends, it's an mmo so I figured that it'd be a given. The fact that it's paywalled is kinda unforgivable.

A lot of MMO’s made similar decisions like this, it takes some of the power away from those dreaded gold sellers. Is it a perfect solution? No, but it’s what we have.

This game gives a lot of features completely free. AC items/storage/salon passes/exp scrolls & keys. If they were trying to make a buck off this, don’t you think they’d charge for all of those things too like other games would? It seems silly they would lock only one feature behind a paywall, there’s even 3 day passes for personal shops.

@Emils Literally says in Zoroki's reply that there is a trick to giving items to your friends via a furnishing item. An almost free one.

You have the tools to solve your own problem, yet appear to want to complain instead.

@Emils I feel like if they changed this they'd pretty much have to make selling on the player shop or through photon capsule machines free too. Otherwise people could just circumvent the market through trading and advertising their wares on forums.

So if they removed the trading and player shop paywalls, where would you want them to erect a wall instead?

@SuccubusAlice said in So why does trading cost money?:

@Emils Literally says in Zoroki's reply that there is a trick to giving items to your friends via a furnishing item. An almost free one.

You have the tools to solve your own problem, yet appear to want to complain instead.

Yeah, I've already made use of the Capsule Machine a few times for this:

alt text

Basically you set the price at 1000 (1050) for each pull/roll of the capsule machine. it gives whoever uses it a random item from the list. I usually only put 1 in there when I actually want to give someone something.

@Rang-Dipkin said in So why does trading cost money?:

So if they removed the trading and player shop paywalls, where would you want them to erect a wall instead?

They'd probably have to make a fatigue/stamina system like FFXIV 1.0 / Legacy had, where you'd stop earning EXP after a while on your current class. Or have a stamina system for quests like they had with buster main match originally. (Which required you to do free matches in order to even get into main match at all.)

@coldreactive said in So why does trading cost money?:

They'd probably have to make a fatigue/stamina system like FFXIV 1.0 / Legacy had, where you'd stop earning EXP after a while on your current class. Or have a stamina system for quests like they had with buster main match originally. (Which required you to do free matches in order to even get into main match at all.)

That's an interesting system; so the paywall would be that f2p would earn EXP constrained by fatigue and then premium would remove this constraint or slow its pace? That definitely seems like a viable alternative as it'd still encourage folks to buy premium and more casual f2p players may prefer having access to the shop/trading over fatigue-free leveling (depending on where they set the thresholds). Personally, I think I'd still vote for the current system and just ask to extend 3-day pass privileges to filling capsule machines as well, but it's an interesting tradeoff to consider.

They don't need to remove the shop paywall. You can get the shop registration tickets stupidly easy.

I also think it reduces the bot money since the only way to trade meseta is having a premium account or the bot selling some common item for a lot of money (problem with that is there is a tax cost to that).

They don't need to remove the shop paywall. You can get the shop registration tickets stupidly easy.

Yeah once you are near the level cap you get EX cubes as if they are common items, and 2 cubes per 1000 fun points you can spam fun tickets like mad until you get a shop ticket.

@Jman said in So why does trading cost money?:

I also think it reduces the bot money since the only way to trade meseta is having a premium account or the bot selling some common item for a lot of money (problem with that is there is a tax cost to that).

People already do this in FFXIV when they want to trade money with characters on their own account without needing to use a Free Company/Guild/Alliance Storage.

Agreed, I was just making the point that if they granted OP's request and made trading free, then it'd be hard to justify keeping the paywall up for the shop too (because people could circumvent the shop and trade directly with folks).