PVP as a source of weekly SG

I'd like to start off, by saying that by no means, am I saying people shouldn't try out this polarizing game mode.

Now, exactly like the title says, people have recently begun heading to the battleship more often to grind out badges to get their weekly 100sg out of it, and maybe(?) have some fun with it. The issue with this, is that the badge return per match is absolutely abysmal. You will be there for quite a while, gathering all the badges you need for the weekly cap, even with good boosts from completed matches. The other issue with this, is that you'll spend even longer than your normally should, because there's still never enough people around for more than two or three simultaneous matches, meaning you're stuck in que for who knows how long depending on the time of day.

Another issue with this, is you typically want to WIN your matches, as ranking up also gives you sg from titles, but so many of the newer people just don't seem to care at all, and just run in there to die, or even worse, someone with a bad connection is made the host, and we wind up with people getting 630'd before the match even begins due to it. That isn't even going into the countless irregularities those of us who play pvp often experience!

There's really no way to fix this entirely without some sort of intervention from sega via badge boosting, but I would like to say, on behalf of the regulars, please try your best when you play, because some of us actually enjoy the game mode, and people who just run in there to die, afk, or just spam their attacks off in a corner, really kill one's mood. I've reported the worst offenders, but that only does so much.

P.S. Sega fix the damn servers, they've been unstable as hell for the last week, even without people with dialup internet playing.

@Herro-everynyan said in PVP as a source of weekly SG:

but so many of the newer people just don't seem to care at all, and just run in there to die, or even worse, someone with a bad connection is made the host, and we wind up with people getting 630'd before the match even begins due to it. That isn't even going into the countless irregularities those of us who play pvp often experience!

New players really are not the only ones who are terrible team members. Most games you will have 1-3 people who just want to fight and never collect emblems, who often end the game with less than the 300 points they start with. It's bad enough that most games are basically decided by which team has less of these players.

As for hosting, I'm pretty sure PVP is not P2P. There's an official server used to update players' positions once every second or after specific actions. If my understanding of various sources is correct it automatically trusts any client that says its player's attack hit one of the opponents, resolving any conflicts in favour of whichever packet arrived first hence Ride Slash jousting being a ping contest.

@Miraglyth what are these sources exactly, because I have most certainly had matches where everything is running perfectly, and I'm able to make plays I wouldn't be able to normally dude to split second attacks/dodges. I'm not the only one who's experienced this, either, and I've heard it enough from others that I strongly believe it is in fact P2P.

@Miraglyth said in PVP as a source of weekly SG:

@Herro-everynyan said in PVP as a source of weekly SG:

but so many of the newer people just don't seem to care at all, and just run in there to die, or even worse, someone with a bad connection is made the host, and we wind up with people getting 630'd before the match even begins due to it. That isn't even going into the countless irregularities those of us who play pvp often experience!

New players really are not the only ones who are terrible team members. Most games you will have 1-3 people who just want to fight and never collect emblems, who often end the game with less than the 300 points they start with. It's bad enough that most games are basically decided by which team has less of these players.

As for hosting, I'm pretty sure PVP is not P2P. There's an official server used to update players' positions once every second or after specific actions. If my understanding of various sources is correct it automatically trusts any client that says its player's attack hit one of the opponents, resolving any conflicts in favour of whichever packet arrived first hence Ride Slash jousting being a ping contest.

I feel it is fine to have 1 or 2 people just fighting while the rest collect emblems and tbh I am one of the people that fight while sometimes we lose other times and quite a lot actually I manage to distract the enemy team to a 1 v 6 with me while I can take 1 or 2 of them down the other 4 do kill me but I keep them busy for long enough that my team pulls ahead a decent amount.

@YagyuChan said in PVP as a source of weekly SG:

I feel it is fine to have 1 or 2 people just fighting while the rest collect emblems

And if that's the purpose of their fighting and they're moderately good at it I'm all in favour. The type of players I'm talking about though are those that don't even try to contest mid or anywhere that has emblems, charging around the outside of the field to find an opponent just leaving their emblem area and still dying to them in a completely pointless attack while their teammates are outnumbered in mid.

Tell me you've never seen a Volcano daytime game where half your team starts out by going right, automatically giving mid to the other team right off the bat. I actually make it a point to stand at the right-most weapon spot during the countdown on Volcano now just so my teammates don't, in the hope that they'll turn left instead because it's closer. That's how often it happens to me. And it still doesn't stop them sometimes.

the other 4 do kill me but I keep them busy for long enough that my team pulls ahead a decent amount.

Yeah, I've done the same, and while it's a net negative on your points count in that one-off situation it's a definite net positive as far as your team is concerned if you buy them enough time to get another wave of rainbow emblems. I appreciate my teammates doing that. I just don't appreciate them repeatedly charging into fights with nothing to gain and still losing and sadly that is the more common occurrence.

In PvP I usually die the most, so it's not viable for me if I need a higher rank. Good for people who can do it though. (And I absolutely hate PvP anyway. So I'm not willing to learn.)

@Miraglyth said in PVP as a source of weekly SG:

I feel it is fine to have 1 or 2 people just fighting while the rest collect emblems

And if that's the purpose of their fighting and they're moderately good at it I'm all in favour. The type of players I'm talking about though are those that don't even try to contest mid or anywhere that has emblems, charging around the outside of the field to find an opponent just leaving their emblem area and still dying to them in a completely pointless attack while their teammates are outnumbered in mid.

Tell me you've never seen a Volcano daytime game where half your team starts out by going right, automatically giving mid to the other team right off the bat. I actually make it a point to stand at the right-most weapon spot during the countdown on Volcano now just so my teammates don't, in the hope that they'll turn left instead because it's closer. That's how often it happens to me. And it still doesn't stop them sometimes.

the other 4 do kill me but I keep them busy for long enough that my team pulls ahead a decent amount.

Yeah, I've done the same, and while it's a net negative on your points count in that one-off situation it's a definite net positive as far as your team is concerned if you buy them enough time to get another wave of rainbow emblems. I appreciate my teammates doing that. I just don't appreciate them repeatedly charging into fights with nothing to gain and still losing and sadly that is the more common occurrence.

I have seen that many times tbh 😆 the ones that annoy me are when your entire team is focused on fighting as this gives the enemy team the win straight away.

I'd love to farm the SG but hate PVP with a passion, so I only hit it during campaigns, usually for the emote or whatever other reward is up. I'd like to see Challenge with an SG exchange or something, I'm just more of a PVE guy. I've actively avoided other MMOs with forced PVP.