Katana Photon Art Names

This is probably one of those suggestions that has a slim chance of happening but I'd like to suggest all of the Katana Photon Arts for the Braver class retain their Japanese names.

In Japanese, most of the Photon Arts are English words, written in Katakana. For example, the Gunblade has PAs like レイジダンス, which phonetically is Reijidansu, and translates nicely to Rage Dance, and in NA, that's exactly what that PA is called. Then you've got エイミングショット, which phonetically is Eimingushotto. Again, that translates to Aiming Shot, and in NA, that's called Aimed Shot. There aren't only English names of course, there's a PA called エインラケーテン, which phonetically is Einlaketen, and translates to Ein Raketen. That's German, and it translates to 'a rocket' but in NA, that's called Rayblade Shot.

Anyway, I needed to point out that bit of information to get to my main point: Although most PAs are English words in Katakana, the Katana PAs are still Japanese words written in Katakana. ゲッカザクロ is Gekka Zakuro, サクラエンド is Sakura Endo (which I geuess would be Sakura End). But in NA, those two PAs are respectively called Lunar Flourishing, and Cherry Blossom Finale.

To me, these PA names being in Japanese despite all the others being in English (and sometimes German) means that was done for a reason. That reason is probably because Katanas are Japanese, but whatever the reason, I think they should remain in Japanese. Especially when there's no problems with keeping Japanese names for some of the Katanas in the game like Yasha, and Yamigarasu. In fact, there's even a bow skin in the Mission Pass called Kagiya Tsuzumi.

So there it is, that's my suggestion, and I hope it'll get some consideration.

Thank you 🙂

Some of the launcher PAs names are just not right like Nova Blast.... it’s crackler shot in the translation on pc and that makes sense with the name, Nova blast makes me think it’s going to be a big blast and not a repeating hit, maybe it’s just me

Localization =/= Translation

The people who worked on localizing this game for the west had to take into account older Phantasy Star games and their attacks. Localization also has to take into account Context, not just translating with proper grammar.

@CFR said in Katana Photon Art Names:

This is probably one of those suggestions that has a slim chance of happening

I think you answered your own question, lol.

@coldreactive said in Katana Photon Art Names:

The people who worked on localizing this game for the west had to take into account older Phantasy Star games and their attacks. Localization also has to take into account Context, not just translating with proper grammar.

The older phantasy star games didn't have these attacks, and if they were considering context then the PA names for Katana would be in Japanese, and PAs for other weapons would have names that make no sense in the context of what the attack does.

Then explain why Pico Pico Hammer, that was in PSO, is now called Squeaky Hammer in PSO2

@Reilet said in Katana Photon Art Names:

Then explain why Pico Pico Hammer, that was in PSO, is now called Squeaky Hammer in PSO2

There's also Over End which was in Phantasy Star Zero. They renamed to to Cross Cut when the JP name was Over End.

Pico Pico / Piko Piko is also the japanese name of the stun hammer in Tales series. The hammer in tales series is modeled after a squeaky hammer that you drop on enemies.

Pico Pico / Piko Piko is also the japanese name of the stun hammer in Tales series. The hammer in tales series is modeled after a squeaky hammer that you drop on enemies.

Tales has nothing to do with Phantasy Star.