So did they just retcon the spellings for PSU terms?

I'd dismissed the reference to the "Grahl" system in Astarte's tutorial being a typo, but it showed up again in the new event along with a few more changes. Are these new official spellings or a mistake?

There's a few mistakes, like Waber being Weber now for Ethan's last name.

Speaking of Ethan, I love how one of the dudes on the splash page(steam) looks like him. I mean PSU was a great game story/gamplay wise but it was a failed online experiment lol. SEGA don't wanna let go it seems.

Don't worry, Ethan "Weber" isn't the only thing that bugs me about this update. You know how there are some players that are nostalgic for PSO stuff, like the Sato mag? They had the wrong localization name for several of the items relating to it, but not all of them. At least, not until this update, where they double-downed on the incorrect localization name: Chat. I mean, PSU called it Shato, but I was bothered less by that. This time, they went out of their own way to make it wrong. Never mind how they completely translated an already English word into English wrong in Omega Masquerade; when you finish the fight on JP it would say DEPTH # CLEAR, where on NA it would say DEPTH # COPLETED in big bold letters front and center of the screen.

@Valinda said in So did they just retcon the spellings for PSU terms?:

Speaking of Ethan, I love how one of the dudes on the splash page(steam) looks like him. I mean PSU was a great game story/gamplay wise but it was a failed online experiment lol. SEGA don't wanna let go it seems.

Depends on which Sega... Sega of Japan tends to speak highly of PSU and bring it up in lots of promotional material. In comparison... Sega West (Sega of America and Sega Europe) have a tendency to ignore PSU or even pretend it doesn't exist to an extent. When PSO2 was first shown off at PAX in 2012 a lot of changes which PSU made to the PSO formula were credited as being new to PSO2:

"You can now change which class you are playing as" "There's this new thing called Photon Arts"

and so on... literally a lot of what little promotion PSO2 managed to get before its delay always pretended that there was nothing between PSO1's release and PSO2. Don't expect Ethan to ever appear in any Western developed Sega crossover titles...

@Jay6x what determines which is the correct localization, just whether it was used first?

Sato/Shato/Chat in JP has always been シャト. Just base off the katakana pronunciation would be Shato or Syato, but it is based of the French word for cat, which is Chat.

Hi all, thanks for sharing your thoughts on these changes and issues. This will be passed along to the team.

@GM-Deynger said in So did they just retcon the spellings for PSU terms?:

Hi all, thanks for sharing your thoughts on these changes and issues. This will be passed along to the team.

In before Phantasy Star Universe remaster with the retcon'd names.

@HarmlessSyan said in So did they just retcon the spellings for PSU terms?:

@Jay6x what determines which is the correct localization, just whether it was used first?

Sato/Shato/Chat in JP has always been シャト. Just base off the katakana pronunciation would be Shato or Syato, but it is based of the French word for cat, which is Chat.

I suppose they couldn't really patch the original PSO all too easily 20 years ago to make it "Chat", but oh well. Similarly, it's like complaining that Luther's name isn't Loser, despite how that is how his name is phonetically pronounced in JP, but yeah. I'm glad they didn't keep "Rattan" Rappy (I didn't just dream this name, did I? I swore I saw it before...). ugh... What's next? Are the Liberate weapons gonna be Riberate?

@Jay6x for Luther/Loser it is not just phonetics, like all Falz in PSO2 they have kanji version of their name and for Luther is 敗者 (haisha) - which is literally loser.

@Jay6x said in So did they just retcon the spellings for PSU terms?:

I'm glad they didn't keep "Rattan" Rappy. ugh...

Unless one of the Portable versions used that name, that's not what Universe called them.

They were Rappy Latan. There's a bit of a history to them: They were the first event rappy in Universe, but since the game was only released on disc and released a month later in Europe, Australia and most of the non-US regions, the only way players in most of the western world could see them and potentially get their then-rare drops like Serafi Feather without waiting 11 months was to import the game from the US.

Bit of a bump, but it's only just now hit me that "Visionary Sorceress" is supposed to be Divine Maiden. That's so different I hadn't even realised what it was trying to be.

Thanks for noting and spotting these differences, everyone! They're being shared internally and we'll let you know if we get any news back.

@Miraglyth Good call on Divine Maiden, I bet that's exactly what they were trying to reference. It really confused me too when I first saw it.

@Leonkh99 said in So did they just retcon the spellings for PSU terms?:

@Valinda said in So did they just retcon the spellings for PSU terms?:

Depends on which Sega... Sega of Japan tends to speak highly of PSU and bring it up in lots of promotional material. In comparison... Sega West (Sega of America and Sega Europe) have a tendency to ignore PSU or even pretend it doesn't exist to an extent. When PSO2 was first shown off at PAX in 2012 a lot of changes which PSU made to the PSO formula were credited as being new to PSO2:

"You can now change which class you are playing as" "There's this new thing called Photon Arts"

and so on... literally a lot of what little promotion PSO2 managed to get before its delay always pretended that there was nothing between PSO1's release and PSO2. Don't expect Ethan to ever appear in any Western developed Sega crossover titles...

You know there's good justifiable reason for SoA/SoE being that way. SoJ of the past(it was a different team, etc) seemed to had acquired a dislike for the western audience because of the long term issues with cheaters doing their thing in the games - but this is mainly SoJ's fault for poor coding and not wanting to do anything about it. PSU came along and thus started that crap where JP version gets updates while the west has to hope and pray there is any at all. At the time of shutdown, JP version was almost a year ahead in updates. SoA/SoE couldn't do anything about this as everything had to go through SoJ.

Yeah lots of "PSU" is in PSO2 lol. Just attack, Just Guard, etc - and those names were changed accordingly as expected.

@Valinda small correction... "Just Attack" and "Just Guard" were retconned into "Perfect Attack" and "Perfect Guard" in Phantasy Star Portable 2, the two terms being what PSO2 uses (though originally PSO2's "Perfect Attack" was to be "Perfect Strike").