Phobos units

So I did the usual daily run today, did one of the t-giving quests and one of the PSU character quests. All in all I got a bunch of things. Among those, I got a back and an arm unit named Phobos, which come with rather decent affixes, and in total they give better stats than the recent stella units. Thing is, I don't know two things. First, since I grabbed everything quickly, I have no idea where these came from. And Second, I don't know if there should be, or I should already have, a leg unit.

Anyone wants to share some insight on this? On the other hand, if these are easily accessible for newbies, we now know our current minimum units people should be using to start their end game runs.

Today's update added missions for completing story quests for Episode 5 chapter 4 onwards. Since we previously had chapters 4 and 5, many of those missions arrived pre-completed.

In addition to giving 200 Rising Weapons Badge 4 and 50 Unique Weapons badge, the pre-completed missions (for those of us who were on top of story) gave us the Back and Arms Phobos units with 6 augments. I expect a mission for one of the chapter 6 story quests will give the accompanying Legs unit.

These are definitely new budget unit sets. Thanks to their base stats being almost the highest in the game at the moment and the starting augments being even better than the buster medal exchange Ivlidas, they are the go-to for anyone that hasn't invested in their units for a while. And for anyone that has, they'll make a great upgrade for low-cost alt characters.

Phobos units' primary drawback is that they give no PP at a time when most other 12★ units give around 10. The better augments on the pre-affixed version compared to other options reduces that gap, but you're still looking at around 21 PP loss for 120 Pwr gain compared to the buster medal exchange Ivlidas upgraded to Cleasis.

For anyone that doesn't want to invest in augment affixing or transferring, the three primary options for pre-affixed late-game units are the buster metal exchange Ivlidas upgraded to Cleasis by Zig, the Starquake/Trailblazer units available from Zig, or these. The first option requires grinding a handful of buster medals (not too bad) and 300 Cleasis Booster (not too good). The second requires 300 Void Erebite Fragments (apparently these are limited to a new urgent quest; I don't know their drop rate), and the third just needs story progress.

So even if a player that's fallen behind needs PP, these pre-affixed Phobos units being easily the easiest upgrade means they could still be useful as a stopgap while setting up one of the other options for PP.

@Miraglyth Great explanation, thanks. I personally fall on the lazy side with units. I have tried once or twice, but usually end up being eaten alive by the affixing process pretty much always going south. Blame my bad luck on that. So these will serve me well for awhile, until I can get something from those sources mentioned, OR until I find good not so ridiculously expensive alternatives from the player markets.

Also... Why did I post this in suggestions? I thought I was in general.... @GM-Deynger Can you help moving this one? please?

@Miraglyth how to get those badges and units i completed all episode 5 content still no luck getting those mission list rewards

@JearimGaming200 Some rewards are obtained from the titles counter. Speak to the NPC at the gate area. She's to the right of the camp ship entry way. If you have any titles you have not claimed, they will be presented to you up front. Just click on each of them to get the rewards. Other rewards are obtained through the arks mission window. If on a xbox controller, press start then X to access it. If on KB, press esc, then navigate to the globe symbol on the lower part of your screen and select arks missions from there. Once in the arks mission window, just press the "receive all rewards" button.

Make sure you have enough space on your inventory if you haven't collected stuff in awhile.

@JearimGaming200 said in Phobos units:

@Miraglyth how to get those badges and units i completed all episode 5 content still no luck getting those mission list rewards

Really? That's strange. They're on the Main Missions list, and nothing to do with titles or the title counter.

Maybe there's a dependency. What are your Main Missions at the moment? I heard people could start Episode 4/5 without completing previous episodes, but perhaps the missions for Episodes 4 and 5 don't appear until you finish all the ones for Episodes 1-3. Could it be something like that?

The Main ARKS Missions go in order of Episode 1 to Episode 5. You can't skip them. Also the first Story Main Mission is locked behind some tutorial stuff. (IE: Leveling, a couple Afin COs, etc.)

@coldreactive said in Phobos units:

The Main ARKS Missions go in order of Episode 1 to Episode 5. You can't skip them.

Right, and you can start Episode 4 without completing Episode 3, correct? It does sound like maybe they're sitting on a pre-Episode 4 main mission and as soon as they finish Episode 3 they'll get a ton of pre-completed missions in series.

That's precisely why I prefer FFXIV's approach to content. So it can't confuse players. You have to do story to get to new / later content.

That's precisely why I prefer FFXIV's approach to content. So it can't confuse players.

Has FFXIV ever totally overhauled its story system though? Admittedly this feels like a hang-up from JP and perhaps they could have added a dependency in story quests on Global.

Of course this might not be the cause of JearimGaming200's problem to begin with, though even if it's not the possibility would be making it take longer to zero in on that.

@Miraglyth said in Phobos units:

Has FFXIV ever totally overhauled its story system though?

No, but they removed/reduced a lot of quests in A Realm Reborn / Pre-heavensward.

No, but they removed/reduced a lot of quests in A Realm Reborn / Pre-heavensward.

Same as PSO2 in that department then. It's a shame when they have story, I really wish they'd just have demoted them to side story (optional).

All I know is that all 3 Phobos units are in game. I have them, as well as the badge rewards. So maybe the poster who asked is missing some story content. Just do (and skip if not bothered to read) everything, including side stories. Only a thing or two doesn't need to be completed from story (the phaleg fight and the ult amduskia themed skit are among these).

While I did everything else and all fights on hardcore, I don't know, nor expect, that hardcore fights are needed to reward the units and badges.

@ZorokiHanuke said in Phobos units:

While I did everything else and all fights on hardcore, I don't know, nor expect, that hardcore fights are needed to reward the units and badges.

They aren't. I got like 200+ Rising 4 badges from casuals.

@coldreactive So I guess it's just a matter of the above poster maybe missing certain story bits to complete. When I can go back in game, I'll try to look for the list of already done missions to try and find which ones give what.

I mean, main mission does have a "completed" list as well, right?