Questions regarding episode 4 "Earth"

There are many things that interest me regarding the episode set on Earth.

The first thing that sparks question here in me here is Phaleg Ives. Now, Phaleg Ives is supposed to be Eve from the bible. However, the word "Phaleg" means Martian spirit, taken from this wikia-page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaleg_(spirit)

It is also the fact that the martian spirit is refered as a male spirit in the wikipedia page. So I dont get it, how does Phaleg-Ives, which supposed to be Eve from the bible has any connection to Phaleg, an Olympian martian spirit?

The second thing that touches me here is Deus Esca. I know he is a demiurge, but would it be appropriate to refer Deus esca as Abraxas? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraxas

It is refered that Abraxas has a chicken head, Serpent tails instead of legs, carries sword and shield, those details strongly correlate with Deus Esca from PSO2, Deus Esca has a sword, has Serpent like heads coming from that Yggdrasil tree water pit, his head looks like the head of a chicken, I guess it would be valid to refer Deus Esca as literaly Abraxas?

If you didn't notice. Phaleg calls herself the Mother Corps Disciple of Mars (and why her symbol is red.) In theory, she's actually the "God of War," which could be why she wants to fight all the time and revels in finding tougher opponents.

There are also some... scientology? Theories? I forgot, where Mars is actually where most humans came from after we destroyed our old world due to in-fighting and environmental changes/etc. So that may have influenced it as well.

@coldreactive said in Questions regarding episode 4 "Earth":

If you didn't notice. Phaleg calls herself the Mother Corps Disciple of Mars (and why her symbol is red.) In theory, she's actually the "God of War," which could be why she wants to fight all the time and revels in finding tougher opponents.

There are also some... scientology? Theories? I forgot, where Mars is actually where most humans came from after we destroyed our old world due to in-fighting and environmental changes/etc. So that may have influenced it as well.

Yeah, I was aware of that, thats why I made this thread and asked this question regarding Phaleg Ives. You know, I just dont see any connection here between Eve and Phaleg, an olympian martian spirit, unless It's pure decision made by SEGA to make it that way without any references.

Cause technicaly, God of War was a Male Greek/Roman god, not Female. Y'know, the reason why I am asking all of this, because I fail to see any connections that SEGA writers made in the lore.

@Charus said in Questions regarding episode 4 "Earth":

Cause technicaly, God of War was a Male Greek/Roman god, not Female.

It's common for SEA companies to Rule 63 things. Like in Fate series.

@coldreactive said in Questions regarding episode 4 "Earth":

Cause technicaly, God of War was a Male Greek/Roman god, not Female.

It's common for SEA companies to Rule 63 things. Like in Fate series.

Well, I guess I can vibe with that? But then it wouldn't be correct to refer her as the "Primal" woman a.k.a eve from the bible? I just dont see how Eve from the bible can also be God of War from Greek/Roman Mythos? Was the character design intentional or was it just a completely spontaneous choice made by SEGA?

Even if It's just spontaneous/random character design choice made by SEGA, It's just feels unauthentic to be honest.

Y'know I wouldn't care if it was just an gender-bended version of God of War, but the reason for her being female is because she is also Eve from the bible at the same time.

Even if It's just spontaneous/random character design choice made by SEGA, It's just feels unauthentic to be honest.

Y'know I wouldn't care if it was just an gender-bended version of God of War, but the reason for her being female is because she is also Eve from the bible at the same time.

I feel that a bulk of this is essentially what would you "expect" in something like anime where over in Japan the nature of Christianity isn't "real" to a lot of the Japanese population so they tend to be much more loose with topics that are much more sensitive on our end. You can see this similarly in the western side of things when we take Eastern concepts and do something similar for something like a martial arts film or when you take something Greek or Norse and bend it a bit because it's "fictional" to us.

This isn't something only SEGA does because you see it in other franchises and games as well (for instance Final Fantay's Odin having the signature attack "Zantetsuken" or franchises like the Xeno series which includes Xenogears, Xenosaga, and Xenoblade Chronicles all having massive changes to their plot in localization due to how it uses Christianity as a source of its world mythology).

Perhaps we can hope for the future that maybe Japanese media takes western culture "more seriously" or uses it in an authentic manner but I feel the main disclaimer is to keep in mind that this is a work of fiction. I don't feel like the story in Phantasy Star Online 2 really is worthy of too many rewards or merits but the story is definitely serviceable for a flick of some sort and I have doubts that the story was that big of a priority for SEGA considering how much of a production and narrative mess the story was until Episode 5 went in and tried to retcon and clean out aspects of the story (and that Episode ORACLE also tries to clean this up further).

@VanillaLucia It's not only that, it is also because nothing with the character's streight makes sense.

Look, I know this is a game, but the way she gained he streight was purely physical training, practicing and learning, she didnt gain such streigth from the photons or Aether (As how it is alternatively called in earth dimension).

I just dont know about you, but It's simply hyperbolic. I dont think plotwise It's fair that she can endure about hundreds of swords slashes from my character, yet she is just standing and absorbing all the damage like a bullet sponge. The duel battle design is bad in my opinion, since its not about testing your skill actualy but memorizing Phaleg's attack pattern, y'know kind of like Sans from Undertale, except much more annoying.

Even if a human would train for entirety of his life and obtain the "Perfect" shape and capabilities of It's body, I doubt it would be able to literaly survive a deadly sword slash or a shot to a head even if It's body in perfect conditions, you dont suddenly become invulnerable super-human, your body still have limits.

Believe me I fought against Omega Masquerade in the ending of Episode 5, he is indeed more of a challenege than Phaleg, with the difference that fighting him requires you to perfect your game mechanics skills rather than memorizing 90% of his attacks as with Phaleg, which I can accept that. And I would prefer Omega Masquerade over the "Haha Dominatrix Eve Bible BDSM fetish strong independent woman with Iris heart voice acting go BRRRR with her legs and thighs"

By the way, I never understood why Japan is so obsessed with Dominatrix woman so much. Like I'm not trying to shame others for their fetish, but japan usualy loves doing that in an "In your face" manner, which is annoying.

I saw Phaleg as a reference ti Lillith, not Eve. In the Apocrypha Lillith was created in the same manner as Adam and refused to submit to him. The antagonistic relationship between Adam and Phaleg doesn't mesh with Eve's submission and might help explain the 'dominatrix' vibe and her obsession with strength.

@VanillaLucia It's not only that, it is also because nothing with the character's streight makes sense.

Look, I know this is a game, but the way she gained he streight was purely physical training, practicing and learning, she didnt gain such streigth from the photons or Aether (As how it is alternatively called in earth dimension).

I just dont know about you, but It's simply hyperbolic. I dont think plotwise It's fair that she can endure about hundreds of swords slashes from my character, yet she is just standing and absorbing all the damage like a bullet sponge. The duel battle design is bad in my opinion, since its not about testing your skill actualy but memorizing Phaleg's attack pattern, y'know kind of like Sans from Undertale, except much more annoying.

Even if a human would train for entirety of his life and obtain the "Perfect" shape and capabilities of It's body, I doubt it would be able to literaly survive a deadly sword slash or a shot to a head even if It's body in perfect conditions, you dont suddenly become invulnerable super-human, your body still have limits.

Believe me I fought against Omega Masquerade in the ending of Episode 5, he is indeed more of a challenege than Phaleg, with the difference that fighting him requires you to perfect your game mechanics skills rather than memorizing 90% of his attacks as with Phaleg, which I can accept that. And I would prefer Omega Masquerade over the "Haha Dominatrix Eve Bible BDSM fetish strong independent woman with Iris heart voice acting go BRRRR with her legs and thighs"

By the way, I never understood why Japan is so obsessed with Dominatrix woman so much. Like I'm not trying to shame others for their fetish, but japan usualy loves doing that in an "In your face" manner, which is annoying.

It's Japan, What do you expect?