Is it OK as a Gunner to ignore Chain Trigger?

As the title said, I found myself using Chain Triggers so rarely that I'm wondering if I did something wrong. Most of the time I'm just using things like Chronolapse and Grim Barrage and very rarely normal attacks (at most to generate some PP) that to try hitting the 100 hits for Chain Trigger on normal attacks seems a waste to me when at most I only do one or 2 normal bursts before hitting PAs again.

It's gotten to such a point where I'm wondering if I should redo a build that does not even bother with Chains.

Am I doing something wrong or are Chain Triggers really used so rarely?

Yes, Chain Triggers are the main damage source for Gunners it's pretty much what the class is designed around. So here's a few simple tips.

-Use Forward Stylish Roll (L) if you aren't already it makes a big difference. Especially since Gunner gets a ton of bonuses for rolling. It's even more important than Chain Triggers.

-Consider getting Twin Mach. Guns Stylish Charge if you don't have it.

-Get Infinite Storm Zero. This is why you need Twin Mach. Guns Stylish Charge so you can bypass the large charge times.

-The basic combinations use Satellite Aim, Assault Advance, and Infinite Storm Zero.

-Don't try to force 100 on Chains all the time. Sometimes you just have to take whatever you can get, some bosses are like that.

-You can "buffer" Chain Trigger. Basically this is using Chain Trigger and running out the activation window before setting it on a target. This is so you get to your next Chain Trigger faster. This can be during a downtime, stun, or while using PAs.

There's a lot of combos you can do with Chains and an extreme amount of advanced tech like roll canceling and weapon swapping. It can get kind of complicated.

If you want anything for further information I'll leave a top notch guide below. It goes over just about everything.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kfjkUQzY3QRmILocETvCqsyBiUtk_PM9n6hw6hB2y4k/edit#heading=h.nl3jbj5lc3cl

@DishSoap Thanks, I looked through Rin's once before but forgot a lot of it already lol.

I think my playstyle might be a bit different, I very rarely use things like Satellite or Infinite but instead Grim straight into a mob and Chrono or Desperado. From the PAs you suggested, I'm thinking that the range where you engage the enemy is a bit further from what I normally do. Maybe that is why I'm having problems with chain since it's hard to try chaining in the middle of the enemy pack. I'll back off a bit and see if the situation improves.

Thanks

@Mistfox said in Is it OK as a Gunner to ignore Chain Trigger?:

I think my playstyle might be a bit different, I very rarely use things like Satellite or Infinite but instead Grim straight into a mob and Chrono or Desperado. From the PAs you suggested, I'm thinking that the range where you engage the enemy is a bit further from what I normally do. Maybe that is why I'm having problems with chain since it's hard to try chaining in the middle of the enemy pack. I'll back off a bit and see if the situation improves.

Thanks

Yeah despite using ranged weapons Gunner is kind of a melee class. Under the section IV) Chain Trigger [4] Weapon Swapping you can find a second about using Chrono and Desperado as Chain Finishers. However it's one of the harder things to pull off.

If you're mobbing though Grim > Gunslinger Spin > Desperado is probably what's best.

@Mistfox said in Is it OK as a Gunner to ignore Chain Trigger?:

@DishSoap Thanks, I looked through Rin's once before but forgot a lot of it already lol.

Thanks

This is late as I don't mind to bump something old but there is a fifteen star weapon (lOrgei Rancor) that changes Shift Period/Desperado Dance so that it grants invulnerability frames throughout its use and shoots an additional four blasts that home in on targets. This becomes a serious contender to the normal rotation of "Assault Advance -> Infinite Storm Zero -> Satellite Aim -> Infinite Storm ZZero" or the more powerful combinations that involve whiffing a photon art to short-charge Infinite Storm Zero.

On my end something I would heavily practice and prioritize is the use of Chain Trigger on mobs and enemies you know that won't die in quick attacks. There is no reason you should stress yourself on trying to apply it to a Rockbear that you know (which you will be able to figure out through enough trial and error) will die in a few heavy attacks. I would use this on bosses that will last several more hits or bosses that have a decent chunk of health as Chain Trigger is the biggest source of damage you have and contributes to why the Gunner/Fighter combination stands at the top of the damage game even in Episode 6. You definitely want to start practicing rotations used specifically for "short burst damage" that you can pull off consistently to deal massive damage in the case you do have a Chain Trigger built up and then learn to build up a chain or how to sustain yourself when you aren't in that high damage rotation. As a Gunner/Fighter, I personally deal with most mobs using the "Another S-Roll Arts" attack (I do not recall what the official translation for this is) as it lets you spread your attack to shoot mobs all around you so you can both "dodge" attacks safely and simultaneously splash mobs with decent damage. If you set Chain Trigger on a target this also builds your chain without breaking it until you are ready to with a photon art so you can use this to reposition or to get out of the way when needed. Depending on the class you are playing as, my methods might not work for you (such as how Gunner/Hunter cannot utilize Another S-Roll Arts and the Etoile in the future also similarly cannot whereas the Gunner/Fighter does and ends up overpowering the Gunner/Hunter in sheer damage because of it and how the Gunner/Phantom ends up outperforming the Gunner/Hunter in terms of Another S-Roll Arts but underperforms greatly compared to the Gunner/Fighter). At that point it's really up to you to decide how you want to approach combat and to understand what your subclass pushes you to do and grants as opportunities.

While you can avoid using Chain Trigger I would liken it to a Fighter not using their Limit Break/Overload skill. Limit Break is a huge source of damage for all classes that utilize Fighter mechanics (but you can only access it as a main-class Fighter so you have to play in a very risky way for it as a subclass) due to it triggering all of the Fighter's buffs at the same time. Until you reach Level 85 to unlock the insurance skill you become a fly that will drop when breathed on by an enemy so most players would avoid it in situations where you can't control enemies or mobs but would use it when it's safe to or in phases they can simply deal damage without interruption in. Not using Limit Break results in the Fighter not playing to their strength which might not impede the player if they were playing alone but it definitely starts to show in numbers compared to others. Similarly Chain Trigger is a powerful (and was excessively broken that Sega continuously tried to nerf it over and over again through the years since it's a nightmare for them) skill that when not utilized makes the Gunner as a class subpar in damage. A lot of their big numbers come from the fact that Chain Trigger was involved.