Isn’t there a Tank class or build in this game?

Maybe I am looking at this wrong but I have noticed in the Hunter Tree what looks to be a Tank build. If you structure your skill tree in a certain way alongside the right leach weapon. You tend to absorb the damage and focus the area kill zone.

May I wrong in my assessment?

it is possible to make Hunter into a tank but is not worth it to do it, when Etoile comes it will be viable to do it without the need to sacrifice damage for the extra survival

HU can be used as a sort of tank. The class does have a lot of survival on it's kit and can even manage aggro. But the game itself doesn't quite foster such gaming type, at least in my opinion. This game feels more dps+heal focused, where people should be trying to kill fast and evade/block/counter damage instead of taking the hits directly. My view could be wrong, but at least my experience with this game and with tanking in other games makes me think that staying in one place in this game is not the best thing to do in most situations. And if you do, you should be using your block+counter moves.

Stick and move, like Little mac's trainer used to say...

No no no and no.

There are no "Tanks". There are no "DPS/Nuker/blah" There are no "Healers".

In PSO2 there are only 2 roles.

The one that fights and deals damage, period.

The one that supports AKA Te/Ra using Shifta, Zanverse and BlightRounds/WeakBullet.

There are NO other roles. The only way to "TANK" is make a setup which takes less damage and is able to keep DEALING DAMAGE more actively.

The reason I brought this up because of the skill war cry , War brave and war attract. Well all of the hunter skills point to taking the hits which allows the other teammates to focus on higher DPS combos in my opinion. But a lot of people keep saying their no tank class build. Is it because most tend to focus on kills rather than corporation?

Isn’t their a class that sets trap?

@RainGnyu said in Isn’t there a Tank class or build in this game?:

The reason I brought this up because of the skill war cry , War brave and war attract. Well all of the hunter skills point to taking the hits which allows the other teammates to focus on higher DPS combos in my opinion. But a lot of people keep saying their no tank class build. Is it because most tend to focus on kills rather than corporation?

War brave and War Attract are to stack enemies. Not to tank the hits.

The only reason to take damage reduction skills is so you can keep attacking while taking some weak attacks front on. You're not helping people by taking hits because enemies will still hit other players.

Every attack is AoE. Even if you take the hit, others get hit as well. Thus the tank role of classic MMOs is meaningless.

Isn’t their a class that sets trap?

Techter has:

-Shifta to increase damage

-Deband to make people not get destroyed as much

-Megiverse to let people attack and tank through some attacks through sheer leech.

-Zanverse to add extra damage tick for everyone in the area.

-Zondeel to stack enemies and make it faster to kill'em all.

Ranger has:

-Blight Rounds / Weak Bullet to increase the damage everyone deals on a certain point.

See the pattern? Everything is for damage.

So are "tanking" skills you see on the Hunter tree.

@Shirokami07 said in Isn’t there a Tank class or build in this game?:

The only reason to take damage reduction skills is so you can keep attacking while taking some weak attacks front on. You're not helping people by taking hits because enemies will still hit other players.

Every attack is AoE. Even if you take the hit, others get hit as well. Thus the tank role of classic MMOs is meaningless.

Then explain auto mate and Healing Guard?

@Shirokami07 said in Isn’t there a Tank class or build in this game?:

Then explain auto mate and Healing Guard?

Automate: Can keep attacking when taking damage without dying unless you get hit by an attack that deals more than 30%-60%-100% of your health.

Healing Guard: Allows to microheal yourself from small to big attacks depending on how many attacks you succesfully parry so you don't stop dealing damage to heal back up.

@RainGnyu Is this thread a joke?

What the build and weapon setup? I don't mind running it.

Hunter with Advanced Guard Stance and Etoile sub is the tank you want to go to. You laugh at things as they do nil damage while still hitting back hard.

As Shirokami and to some extent I try to say, this game is not a holy trinity game. Bosses, the actual meat of the content, are not held nor guided by tanks. Sure, you could grab their attention for the whole fight, but most of their attack kit will still reach all or most of the group fighting it.

In holy trinity MMOs, a tank is used to make the boss use many of it's attacks on the tank or the area the tank is at, while leaving his flank free for the dps to attack without the risk of being hit themselves. Some attacks are AOE in those games, to wake up the DPS and healers. But for the most part, it's the tank's job to keep getting the hits. This doesn't quite happen here in PSO2. So for the most part, any damage a "tank" will block/evade/absorb, the rest of the players will also need to deal with it.

So in the end, you can make a tanky build, but only to benefit yourself. If you are still onto it, make it in a way that doesn't sacrifice damage, or you will be less useful to a party because of sub par performance.

@ZorokiHanuke said in Isn’t there a Tank class or build in this game?:

As Shirokami and to some extent I try to say, this game is not a holy trinity game. Bosses, the actual meat of the content, are not held nor guided by tanks. Sure, you could grab their attention for the whole fight, but most of their attack kit will still reach all or most of the group fighting it.

In holy trinity MMOs, a tank is used to make the boss use many of it's attacks on the tank or the area the tank is at, while leaving his flank free for the dps to attack without the risk of being hit themselves. Some attacks are AOE in those games, to wake up the DPS and healers. But for the most part, it's the tank's job to keep getting the hits. This doesn't quite happen here in PSO2. So for the most part, any damage a "tank" will block/evade/absorb, the rest of the players will also need to deal with it.

So in the end, you can make a tanky build, but only to benefit yourself. If you are still onto it, make it in a way that doesn't sacrifice damage, or you will be less useful to a party because of sub par performance.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Also, "tanking" or better said switching aggro makes it harder for everyone to actually track an incoming attack.

You'll be getting people killed more easily than actually helping them survive.