Speedrunning

@Milranduil said in Speedrunning:

@coldreactive said in Speedrunning:

@Yuuji said in Speedrunning:

@GHNeko I would love to reach out to them and see if they'd be willing to submit some stuff.

@Akonyl Aye, videos are required and without one a run will not be accepted. I hope one day I can get a good laugh from someone submitting a clearly spliced/illegitimate run. I also hope I can be awed by a genuinely amazing run.

Currently, I'm thinking of ways to add Endless Quests because I'm sure they'll be popular. Unfortunately, since they are score based, it is proving more difficult than I had thought. Perhaps setting a certain score goal (determined by the community) to achieve in X time. For example, say the score goal is 5 million. The speedrun would be how fast you can get to 5 million. It may be hard to keep track of though with the time additions and what not without a separate timer, but since I chose to use in game time to battle hardware differences, this wouldn't really work either.

endless will quickly become about who has the high score, not the time, as people learn and improve at both of them. time is pretty meaningless since it just translates to more score with players who know what they're doing.

Speedrun categories prefer time over score. Score ends up being a fixed amount. Like with the 100% and any% categories of RPGs. So it's unlikely we will have a score leaderboard, especially on a site dedicated to recording times, not score. If you want a score-centric system like speedrun.com, you'll just have to make your own scorerun dot com or something.

do... do you know why it's called endless quest? score is not fixed LOL

Awfully condescending for not understanding his post. He's saying that it's easy enough to arbitrarily make a speedrun category like "1,000,000 points" (or any other fixed amount, 5mil, 10mil, whatever) and then speedrun how fast it takes for someone to reach that score, rather than only checking runs where people run until they time out (however long that may take).

Speedrun games oftentimes have multiple categories people run with different goals that take different amounts of time, so that you can still have a competition with shorter time investments/etc (and if it takes an hour+ to finish out an endless at the high end, that'd be too much of a time commitment for a lot of people).

@Akonyl said in Speedrunning:

@GHNeko I would love to reach out to them and see if they'd be willing to submit some stuff.

@Akonyl Aye, videos are required and without one a run will not be accepted. I hope one day I can get a good laugh from someone submitting a clearly spliced/illegitimate run. I also hope I can be awed by a genuinely amazing run.

Currently, I'm thinking of ways to add Endless Quests because I'm sure they'll be popular. Unfortunately, since they are score based, it is proving more difficult than I had thought. Perhaps setting a certain score goal (determined by the community) to achieve in X time. For example, say the score goal is 5 million. The speedrun would be how fast you can get to 5 million. It may be hard to keep track of though with the time additions and what not without a separate timer, but since I chose to use in game time to battle hardware differences, this wouldn't really work either.

endless will quickly become about who has the high score, not the time, as people learn and improve at both of them. time is pretty meaningless since it just translates to more score with players who know what they're doing.

Speedrun categories prefer time over score. Score ends up being a fixed amount. Like with the 100% and any% categories of RPGs. So it's unlikely we will have a score leaderboard, especially on a site dedicated to recording times, not score. If you want a score-centric system like speedrun.com, you'll just have to make your own scorerun dot com or something.

Awfully condescending for not understanding his post. He's saying that it's easy enough to arbitrarily make a speedrun category like "1,000,000 points" (or any other fixed amount, 5mil, 10mil, whatever) and then speedrun how fast it takes for someone to reach that score, rather than only checking runs where people run until they time out (however long that may take).

Speedrun games oftentimes have multiple categories people run with different goals that take different amounts of time, so that you can still have a competition with shorter time investments/etc (and if it takes an hour+ to finish out an endless at the high end, that'd be too much of a time commitment for a lot of people).

okay.

@Akonyl said in Speedrunning:

If that's the intent, then it still wouldnt be a good idea because aside from interval stages, the stages and orders for said stages you get are randomized.

I do understand that there are plenty of RNG heavy categories, but this one is seriously intense and wont be popular enough of a category on its own since you have different classes, different gear, different affixes, stage rng, enemy ai rng, and stage order rng. Very few games if any have such rng heavy categories that are also worth time attacking.

Generally categories get made when there is support behind them. I'd be hard pressed to find many people support that category.

@Penguin-Deer I will add both 4/12 and solo PD now that triggers are more readily available.

@coldreactive I don't know, I've had some bad runs, but it's those bad runs that eventually get you to a good run. Finally managed to get sub 5 on Wopal earlier, granted the top time on the visiphone (as it's the weekly TA right now) is sub 3. I don't know how, but it's there so I know it's possible...somehow.

For now I'm going to have to shelf the idea of putting Endless Quests on there, unless someone has a good idea as to how. Everything I thought of has a problem somewhere, so I'll give up.

Remember to join the discord! Eventually this thread is probably going to die, or get derailed into death, as all threads eventually do. The discord is certainly struggling, though. Link is in original post.

@Penguin-Deer I will add both 4/12 and solo PD now that triggers are more readily available.

@coldreactive I don't know, I've had some bad runs, but it's those bad runs that eventually get you to a good run. Finally managed to get sub 5 on Wopal earlier, granted the top time on the visiphone (as it's the weekly TA right now) is sub 3. I don't know how, but it's there so I know it's possible...somehow.

For now I'm going to have to shelf the idea of putting Endless Quests on there, unless someone has a good idea as to how. Everything I thought of has a problem somewhere, so I'll give up.

Remember to join the discord! Eventually this thread is probably going to die, or get derailed into death, as all threads eventually do. The discord is certainly struggling, though. Link is in original post.

if you want to make one for endless, i'd recommend creating a community accessible spreadsheet with high scores for 1-4p on both quests. it's all about high score, always has been.

@Milranduil Unfortunately so, which is why I'm giving up for now. But that's alright, I think there are enough categories right now and I do plan on adding more boss ones because they're available in the shop for rwb3. I don't want to add too many, so I would really like to hear from the community on which ones are more likely to be ran. I already have PD added. I could add them all honestly. Eh?