Speedrunning

My fellow arks, recently Phantasy Star Online 2 has been added to https://www.speedrun.com/phantasy_star_online_2. If you're interested in speedrunning anything in this game, time attacks for example, you can now record, and submit it to compete with other arks in more than just one time attack each week. Some extreme quests are currently on the leaderboard as well, in addition to sub story Phaleg fight (because I know you really enjoyed doing it once, so you'll love doing it over and over and over) .

I am taking suggestions as well for anything that should be added/changed. Also, if you're interested in making a guide for anything related to this reach out to me via Discord; if you're looking to discuss this with your fellow arks there's a discord server https://discord.gg/C9sbZtV. You can also ask me anything you'd like on that server related to this.

Thank you for your time, have a nice day.

oh this is sick for EN. the JP Time Attack community exists specifically on twitter and yt so I don't think you'll get accurate entries there but still good stuff.

Can't wait for hack tool kiddies to fuck it up.

@Shirokami07 said in Speedrunning:

luckily its pretty easy for experienced TAs to tell when someone is hacking in TAs. There have been various instances of cheating in JP and basically everyone who is experienced in the TA community found it out each time simply because of how much they know and understand about the game.

Can't wait to see someone speedrun "Fiend/Demon Phaleg (Duel)"

@GHNeko said in Speedrunning:

luckily its pretty easy for experienced TAs to tell when someone is hacking in TAs. There have been various instances of cheating in JP and basically everyone who is experienced in the TA community found it out each time simply because of how much they know and understand about the game.

plus, most people who upload to speedrun.com know that if you're submitting a competitive time, you should have a video available (which speedrun.com lets you link to directly next to your time entry), so if there's an oddly good time without any video attached people would be pretty suspicious and unlikely to take it very seriously.

@Akonyl said in Speedrunning:

@GHNeko said in Speedrunning:

plus, most people who upload to speedrun.com know that if you're submitting a competitive time, you should have a video available (which speedrun.com lets you link to directly next to your time entry), so if there's an oddly good time without any video attached people would be pretty suspicious and unlikely to take it very seriously.

And if it gets competitive enough, people may even start opening your videos (if put on yutube/etc.) in a video editor (Such as shotcut) and seeing if the run was spliced. Which is why you should always do livestreams instead, if possible. You should use LiveSplit if you want your own timer.

Example tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq2MCodtH34

You can use OBS to capture the window/program then place it somewhere on your stage in OBS.

@GHNeko I would love to reach out to them and see if they'd be willing to submit some stuff.

@Akonyl Aye, videos are required and without one a run will not be accepted. I hope one day I can get a good laugh from someone submitting a clearly spliced/illegitimate run. I also hope I can be awed by a genuinely amazing run.

Currently, I'm thinking of ways to add Endless Quests because I'm sure they'll be popular. Unfortunately, since they are score based, it is proving more difficult than I had thought. Perhaps setting a certain score goal (determined by the community) to achieve in X time. For example, say the score goal is 5 million. The speedrun would be how fast you can get to 5 million. It may be hard to keep track of though with the time additions and what not without a separate timer, but since I chose to use in game time to battle hardware differences, this wouldn't really work either.

@Yuuji Just for fun, I did Naverius I Time Attack: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/785313037 (I already submitted it to speedrun dot com for you to moderate.)

Splits: https://splits.io/6ixd (Ignore it being attempt 8. I can't disable attempt counting on LiveSplits. I can just edit the split and set attempts to 0, but I'd have to do that every time I make an attempt or am satisfied after numerous attempts.)

Setting a score goal would require you to name it Endless - Quest Name 5mil% if we'd go with 5 million. You could do multiple percent categories like 5mil%, 1mil%, etc.

@Yuuji said in Speedrunning:

@GHNeko I would love to reach out to them and see if they'd be willing to submit some stuff.

@Akonyl Aye, videos are required and without one a run will not be accepted. I hope one day I can get a good laugh from someone submitting a clearly spliced/illegitimate run. I also hope I can be awed by a genuinely amazing run.

Currently, I'm thinking of ways to add Endless Quests because I'm sure they'll be popular. Unfortunately, since they are score based, it is proving more difficult than I had thought. Perhaps setting a certain score goal (determined by the community) to achieve in X time. For example, say the score goal is 5 million. The speedrun would be how fast you can get to 5 million. It may be hard to keep track of though with the time additions and what not without a separate timer, but since I chose to use in game time to battle hardware differences, this wouldn't really work either.

endless will quickly become about who has the high score, not the time, as people learn and improve at both of them. time is pretty meaningless since it just translates to more score with players who know what they're doing.

@Milranduil said in Speedrunning:

endless will quickly become about who has the high score, not the time, as people learn and improve at both of them. time is pretty meaningless since it just translates to more score with players who know what they're doing.

Speedrun categories prefer time over score. Score ends up being a fixed amount. Like with the 100% and any% categories of RPGs. So it's unlikely we will have a score leaderboard, especially on a site dedicated to recording times, not score. If you want a score-centric system like speedrun.com, you'll just have to make your own scorerun dot com or something.

@coldreactive I accepted your run. Easy improvement when you get better gear and a certain tree is slightly to the left.

In other news, someone submitted an impressive sub 1 minute Phaleg fight, and a sub 3 minute Madness and Phantasms. The kind of awe I'm looking for, and I hope to see even more.

Keep the runs coming!

@coldreactive I accepted your run. Easy improvement when you get better gear and a certain tree is slightly to the left.

In other news, someone submitted an impressive sub 1 minute Phaleg fight, and a sub 3 minute Madness and Phantasms. The kind of awe I'm looking for, and I hope to see even more.

Keep the runs coming!

That character isn't really meant for speedrunning anyway. She's going to be Te/Su Hybrid Support. (She needs a Rappy pet too.) But she can't do that until Ultra Hard comes out and the All-Class Harmonizer is released. My main, Oia Vilet is going to be Su/Ph. But my fairy boy will likely be more speed-run friendly as he's going to either be Etoile Main or Bo/Et with Jet Boots.

Just remember: No speedrun is a bad speedrun. All speedruns are just there to get you to think of new ways to beat them.

@coldreactive said in Speedrunning:

@Milranduil said in Speedrunning:

Speedrun categories prefer time over score. Score ends up being a fixed amount. Like with the 100% and any% categories of RPGs. So it's unlikely we will have a score leaderboard, especially on a site dedicated to recording times, not score. If you want a score-centric system like speedrun.com, you'll just have to make your own scorerun dot com or something.

do... do you know why it's called endless quest? score is not fixed LOL

You should add boss UQs into there, both solo and 4/12 man. Especially since solo PD triggers are finally tradable.