BANNED IN BELGIUM!

Apparently my belgian friend gets errors related to the game not being allowed in his region when trying to play.. isn't belgium part of the EU, and a business partner to the free world? If any countries should be considered for region lock, a rational person would expect China or Russia as more likely places.

Could it be because of AC scratches?

https://steamdb.info/sub/352891/

This package can NOT be purchased in specified countries: Netherlands Antilles, Belgium, Netherlands, China, Japan, Republic of Korea

You just need to type "Belgium" in the search on this forums to find 30+ posts and multiple threads already talking about this. Belgium and Netherlands have loot box restrictions with Belgium basically banning all loot boxes.

Dont think belgium has laws that prevent that kind of thing, I've played games with similar stuff with him.

@ZeeHero9271 said in BANNED IN BELGIUM!:

Dont think belgium has laws that prevent that kind of thing, I've played games with similar stuff with him.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43906306

@DarkstalkerX99 said in BANNED IN BELGIUM!:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43906306

I'm pretty sure EA just paid the fines anyway and kept it all in. SEGA probably isn't willing to do that though, despite the "loot box" Scratches clearly stating all odds of getting what.

The games I played wasn't from EA though. in fact it was owned by a shady chinese company called Perfect World Entertainment. it had tons of loot boxes.. and my belgian friend had no issues logging on.

At this point its really not Sega's doing for this. Rather than jump through hoops because a country has laws against loot boxes, they just decided not to support that region. This argument has been brought up a lot since this went global.

@coldreactive can look at the wiki for loot boxes - there a section for Belgium. Even EA removed Ultimate teams from FIFA games for Belgium players. Many other companies also removed their loot boxes for Belgium and Netherlands like Activision Blizzard, 2K Games, Valve, SquareEnix, Konami, Nintendo, and Psyonix (Rocket League)

I have a friend who knows about this kind of problem on GW2 because she lives in Belgium. They do not allow hasard of game ( for example Lottery in game ) . If I remember what she had explained to me. So the Scratch must be the problem for them.

because Belgium laws doesn't allow loot boxes mechanics the companies have 2 options to release the game and don't allow to game currency in that country to prevent people from using any kind of loot boxes mechanics or to simply not release the game, PSO2 is free to play and AC is the main income of Sega for this game so it wouldn't be possible to just block the purchase there that's why is blocked in Belgium, however MS Store version can still be access there after all you need to get the NA store to get the game and not the Belgium MS store

@coldreactive I KNOW RIGHT! if you ever enjoyed a game that was bought by them, you are that dog. it's where games go to die a slow death.

The games I played wasn't from EA though. in fact it was owned by a shady chinese company called Perfect World Entertainment. it had tons of loot boxes.. and my belgian friend had no issues logging on.

If it's a game from a shady Chinese company, that might explain why. Unless the game actually gets investigated, the Belgian authorities won't know whether or not a game has lootboxes, and depending how shady that company is it might not be worth their effort to really go after them if it's a small game/company. If it's a game you download off of some random website vs having an official release on a big platform like Steam, it's easy to release even in countries where your game's technically illegal.

@Akonyl said in BANNED IN BELGIUM!:

If it's a game from a shady Chinese company, that might explain why. Unless the game actually gets investigated, the Belgian authorities won't know whether or not a game has lootboxes, and depending how shady that company is it might not be worth their effort to really go after them if it's a small game/company. If it's a game you download off of some random website vs having an official release on a big platform like Steam, it's easy to release even in countries where your game's technically illegal.

Perfect World Entertainment isn't exactly a small company. They're responsible for Perfect World International, Neverwinter, the Torchlight series, and Remnant: From The Ashes, some of their more well known titles. They also host Star Trek Online thanks to a few unfortunate company purchases. If they managed to feature loot boxes in Belgium, they likely decided to just pay fines instead of accommodating their laws.