For potential Burning Rangers BGM: Use the English vocals!

Preface: This is a speculative suggestion because it may never be relevant, but in case it is I need to make it in advance for any chance of it happening.

Once upon a time Sonic Team made a Saturn game called Burning Rangers. As was starting to become popular at the time (likely aided by the breakthrough of disc-based console gaming), it had a vocalised song: Angels with Burning Hearts.

Originally releasing in Japan as Sega games tend to, the original version was sung by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi. This is the same Mitsuyoshi who sings both the Japanese and English versions of "We're ARKS" in the ARKS Dance Festival concerts, which is why the follow-up act names him.

This song has made multiple guest appearances in Phantasy Star, dating all the way back v2 on the Dreamcast! It had a downloadable bonus quest (before such things were called DLC) called Central Dome Fire Swirl, which itself was an homage to Burning Rangers including the appearance of lead characters. Later, Phantasy Star Universe had an event called Operation Firebreak with a similar but less directly referential quest.

In every appearance to my knowledge, the localised Phantasy Star release has used the Mitsuyoshi Japanese vocals. But! Burning Rangers itself was localised back on the Saturn, and that included song vocals! Not only in the game itself, but the full versions. Angels With Burning Hearts has an English version sung by Dennis St. James.

In Japan, Phantasy Star Online 2 has followed the tradition and used this song before. It looks like it repeated the Universe form of an event quest, once again using the track as its music. The game also contains two Burning Rangers tracks as music discs with BR #01 being Angels With Burning Hearts (the other is I Just Smile which also dates back to PSOv2). Not only that but Mitsuyoshi has performed the song at real-world PSO2 concerts.

Now we won't get the concert, we may not get the event, and we may not even get the music discs. But Phantasy Star Online 2 has made a point of its work to localise as many of its songs as it can into English: Every Quna song by Kayli Mills, Rare Drop Koi-Koi by multiple singers and even We're ARKS by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi himself. There are surely more localised songs we've still yet to hear, from Quna and others. Meanwhile some of the songs to not be localised were in English already, even including the Vocaloid performance of Living Universe.

Rarely if ever before has the series made such an effort to provide English versions of Japanese vocals. Even when PSOv2 on the Dreamcast added English vocals to the original The Whole New World (which were reused in all future iterations), that was from "na na na na naaa" in v1 and no Japanese vocals existed.

Which brings us to my request:

To my knowledge, the original Dennis St. James version of Angels With Burning Hearts has sadly never made it into an English localisation of a Phantasy Star title.

This feels like the perfect opportunity to change that, in doing so paying a great amount of respect for the performance itself, the comparable effort to do such a thing way back in the days of the Saturn and the memories of western Sega gamers with the same spirit that led to Burning Rangers' now-traditional guest appearances in the first place.

So with the unlikely chance of us getting to play this particular event quest, it'd be an amazing moment to enter the area and hear the 90's pomp of the original English vocals that have waited over 20 years for their time to shine in a Phantasy Star.

More likely, we won't get this event quest. But we may still get the music discs. Which would still be great, because music discs in PSO2 support multiple tracks! Adding the English version as a new Tune B would not only be straightforward but would allow it to coexist with the Mitsuyoshi Japanese vocals. Win / win!

This would be great. I'd love to at the very least see a multi track music disc with all of these in there. Another fire swirl/break type event would be fun though. They could include multiple versions within the mission and in the lobby too.

Maybe they could make Tune A be the english vocals and Tune B the japanese vocals

@OmegaNeo8603 said in For potential Burning Rangers BGM: Use the English vocals!:

Maybe they could make Tune A be the english vocals and Tune B the japanese vocals

🤷 I'm not sure it really matters which is which?

@Miraglyth I'm dumb and I might have not read your last paragraph from your post correctly hahaha. Aside from that, it's a good suggestion imo

@Miraglyth I agree, though I do hope that they do the event quest, possibly make the drops better as that one is really old. Also, I think the fire extinguisher weapon is from that quest, and Global got a version of it in Gone with the Wind & Rain. I never one, but I've seen it on the market.

Another suggestion for how they could do 8 years worth of seasonal UQs, is have a different one each day of that season with increased drop rates to make up for not having it every day, and give out all the Event NPC Avatars from that season from the past 8 years in JP. Make the event exchanges all available forever and use generic badges for them, badges that will always be available.

@Home-Rowed said in For potential Burning Rangers BGM: Use the English vocals!:

@Miraglyth I agree, though I do hope that they do the event quest, possibly make the drops better as that one is really old. Also, I think the fire extinguisher weapon is from that quest, and Global got a version of it in Gone with the Wind & Rain. I never one, but I've seen it on the market.

Yeah obviously I'd like to see the event quest too! But Event quests for events that last 2-4 weeks with one quest each makes it pretty difficult to fit in and (if Xia is involved) have relevant client orders for, so I can understand why that might not happen. It looks like the event is old enough to be tuned to things like old movement speeds and such too so it would likely need considerable re-tuning.

Since it's all-classes, I'm actually still using my Farewell Inferno v2 for Advance Quest PSE farming! And on Bonus quests too, though much less since I've got a good gunblade with a decent Increased EXP on it. One of its augments is Froggy Fever, which makes it pretty easy to tell where it came from! I'd look to giving it proper augments (or at least changing its element from Dark) but as you point out it's really bad now, 200 Pwr weaker than any other 13★ launcher and the only one to be weaker than Nox and a couple of 12★s. I could get a Shooting Drive for that.

@Home-Rowed said in For potential Burning Rangers BGM: Use the English vocals!:

Another suggestion for how they could do 8 years worth of seasonal UQs, is have a different one each day of that season with increased drop rates to make up for not having it every day, and give out all the Event NPC Avatars from that season from the past 8 years in JP. Make the event exchanges all available forever and use generic badges for them, badges that will always be available.

I was starting to have thoughts like this while reading and writing a response to the earlier part of your post. One day per quest is a bit tight, mentally I was leaning towards a small handful like 3 every week or 5 every fortnight, either as part of a one-time legacy event quest showcase (which could allow them to be UQs) or randomly selected to appear on rotation in a freely-playable Retired Event Quests menu.

Probably the biggest barriers to this are translation and benefit; it'd be quite the effort to translate I guess maybe 20? quests, and really unfeasible if they had unique dubbing. And people might not wish to play them all that much unless they were given regular incentives like being weekly/tier missions. I can't imagine they'd want to bother if these quests were just going to get Challenge Mode'd.

There'd also be an issue about many of them never giving any 13★ weapons or previously having OT rewards, but I like your idea of having them all drop a unified badge to exchange at a Retired Events counter for the v2/Snow/etc series that have no practical use in the game anymore but would be great for variety and perhaps extend players' interest in weapon transmutation.

I really like your idea of a Retired Event Quests menu, if everything eventually ended up there after a while, I think it'd be good for the posterity of the game.