Why are y'all surprised you got banned?

@Shine You have a point. However, you forget one thing. If there are players who have admitted to wrongdoing and been caught, then whatever Sega is using to find these players is probably working. With the constant wave of bans month after month, and players shops being shut down suddenly, it would be foolish to think this is some janky randomness by Sega. Just sucks that Sega won't tell us what the formula for finding these players are, but I guess they have their secrets (you know, outside of ToS).

@RainGnyu I feel that so long as the thread is not actively discussing ways to do illegal things, people should be able to safely talk about the issue with the bans. If someone starts posting stuff like "to do this activity, you have to do this and that." Then that's a red flag to both ban the person and delete their posts.

@ZorokiHanuke said in Why are y'all surprised you got banned?:

@RainGnyu I feel that so long as the thread is not actively discussing ways to do illegal things, people should be able to safely talk about the issue with the bans. If someone starts posting stuff like "to do this activity, you have to do this and that." Then that's a red flag to both ban the person and delete their posts.

^ Agreed.

@FANtasyStarOnline I think the reason that SEGA won't disclose the formula for finding these players is that if people knew, they would be able to create a work around. I can't think of any other reasons besides that SEGA themselves tell us nothing. At least we have GMs here that do communicate.

My point isn't really about the how and more the why. I'm advocating transparency if only because the thought of "You're banned. No appeal." is a harrowing one especially if, like some of those hit by 816, you're protesting your innocence.

Obviously I don't know who is at fault, or for what reason but I'm willing to bet that there -are- false positives and not even allowing those people to fight their corner, especially given the relatively high cost of investment on AC, Premium etc just does not sit right with me. Digital assets never being yours or not.

Of course I do appreciate that support resources aren't endless but if somebody cares enough about the money spent, time invested etc to reach out and inquire about their account I feel like they deserve a little more than a vague "You violated the ToS" without so much as a note to suggest which clause etc.

@Shine I feel like your question was answered by the post above you. lol. Sega doesn't want to tell anyone what they did wrong because they're worried that player may go on the forums and tell everyone else. True, I'm sure there is some false positives, but if it's Millions(?) of players and a decade of game control we are talking about, the filtering system is probably pretty reliable.

At least until I, FANtasyStarOnline, get caught... then I'm innocent!!! lol (sorry, bad joke)

@FANtasyStarOnline said in Why are y'all surprised you got banned?:

@LapisWave Interesting. How do you know it's because of the VPN? Although it could be, it seems this recent wave of bans were for RMT and player activities involved with duping items and money.

If you read carefully below at the news about banning people at pso2 main site, they do mention about using other peoples account suspicious activity, which relays to VPN abuse where the staffs might think that you are giving other people to login to play your account.

@SuperND420 said in Why are y'all surprised you got banned?:

It's against ToS, and it's actually a criminal offense that gets game comapnies in trouble for tax evasion

I don't think you know how taxes work.

To those wondering, no company worth their salt will ever tell what they do to catch cheaters and RMTers. I mean, who would? Those guys have ears everywhere (most likely some of their "soldiers" are checking these forums right now too), and will totally jump onto any possible way to circumvent any security put in place by the devs. So as bad as it may be, all you will get is the canned "you are banned because you did something wrong" response.

On the other hand, those who feel they were caught in error should appeal their cases. It's not impossible to revert a decision and get an account back if the bannable offense was proven to be an honest mistake or an actual false positive. This happens in gaming and even out of gaming. Yes, it's unfair for some innocent guy to get banned for something they didn't do, and force him to fight for his account. But such is the nature of cheat prevention.

@FANtasyStarOnline The Japanese version of the game has always been rather heavy-handed and there were scenarios that would trigger an auto-ban (Here's looking at you Ep 3 chain trigger). It wasn't uncommon to be banned on suspicion of cheating but for the most part you would at least receive an email detailing the reason for any ban/suspension. From what I recall RMT bots are/were much less of an issue on JP servers due to an IPRange ban. The Japanese client did need to take down player stores at the same time as NA ones over the recent exploit however.

@GM-Deynger said in Why are y'all surprised you got banned?:

^ Agreed.

That does not make any sense! To agree with that statement opens up a nuclear ☢️ bomb! Come on guys think a little bit! You have won the war but it like you want to lose on purpose! Remember I said it first!

If you leave these type of threads open you are going to regret it.

@ZorokiHanuke I feel like this is getting to be a pretty big issue, these players caught in the rmt ban wave (Sorry for being late to the party, lol). Hopefully "You are banned because you did something wrong" means "You are banned because you did something wrong while we check the facts again and maybe unban you". I just hope nobody does something to actually "earn" an actual permaban while waiting for the facts to be checked.

from what i understand the "innocent" players that have gotten banned are players who bought items from bots on player shops since they had the cheapest prices available, then saved those items to sell them later

i'm not sure what happened to players that bought the tickets then used them, but some people have bought items from bots not really knowing they were bot shops and have been banned for it

it's simply bad PR. just as easily as you can say that people should have been paying attention, people can spin it as "sega should have been doing more about the bots so people never got caught up in this to begin with" because one bot shop can have gotten multiple players banned and it's sheer lunacy that there's nothing that can be done about it otherwise

@RainGnyu So you more or less want this to be GameFAQs or resetera, where if you disagree with the discussion, it just be DELETED!

When they get caught cheating they don’t care about ruining everyone’s gaming experience. First they start with the bull that they collateral damage. They alway start with the why me threads just to draw people in then revealing the very thing Sega doesn’t want revealed.