Arks League

I like the idea behind the ARKS league but those kill X mob versions are just painful. There's so many ways to fall behind if RNG says screw you. The one I stumbled into I watched 3 people in the top get a few hundred kills every few minutes since they obviously got a good PSE burst rolling and there was no way to catch up.
It might be a bit better if it was a forced kill X mob on Y map everyone had to do, but when map choice is open it feels like someone is just going to get lucky no matter how smart your choice or how well you play. Need to see the time attack versions as I feel that puts everyone on a much more equal playing field and the time to do multiple runs means you get a few tires to learn the map better to increase your placement.

I was told that some people for arks Leauge use mining defense triggers for falspawn, It really puts others at an dis-avantage when they do that. There is no way to catch up with those.

23 min into the current kill super natural and first place in my league has 3203+ kills while 2nd is at 408. HOW?

@Sparhawk said in Arks League:

23 min into the current kill super natural and first place in my league has 3203+ kills while 2nd is at 408. HOW?

Maybe a Hacker? Like WTH? How fair is that?

Yeah an hour in and it looks like this. I got jaded and just stopped. If that guy isn't hacking then I wanna know what the trick is cause holy crap that's nuts. alt text

1st! I barely won this time. I had a late start because my kitten decided dinner time is nooow! the second league started so I was a good couple hundred behind when I got to join.

I was lucky, I joined a party that had the same goal in mind so fast queues and lots of kills. If I didn’t find that party then 2nd place guy would’ve beat me, he was right on my trail the whole time!

When I last checked my kill count was 1250-something, it was kind of low.

@Milk said in Arks League:

Maybe you’re being placed in a league with more competitive players than I am?

That kind of goes without saying. Anyone who tries to win is going to beat anyone who doesn't by default. My research says league brackets are only decided by the time you join a league and your highest-level class' level range. If you don't have any class close to the level cap maybe lower-level leagues aren't as competitive?

It's pretty funny to see you guys talking about 800-1250 kills in an hour. My group would have competed with 2nd place in Spawhawk's league (I have no idea how 5528 is possible btw) in little over half that time. With an hour we'd have exceeded 1600 kills! As a reminder I've still yet to win a supernatural league and have finished outside top 3 in all but one of them. Speaking of which...

When we started this time, everyone definitely showed no kills or ranks. We hit up a Free Match ASAP and it started quickly. But in the tent of the second one we had 249 kills and another group of three people had 491. They got about two Free Matches' worth of kills in the time it took to do one Free Match. After that they matched pace with us for about 20 minutes, staying 250 kills ahead, until the league ended.

Possibilities for what happened here are pretty limited. I can think of a few:

• They started on Bewitched Woods VH and likely got a PSE Burst for around 10 minutes to outpace Free Matches. Once it ended they switched to Free Match to keep that lead safe.

• At the start they played the mid-league UQ once instead of a Free Match, and that has some league-related mechanics my research hasn't discovered. For instance, does the UQ have twice as many supernaturals, or straight up give double kills?

• They only played Free Matches too but did something exploity like repeat Defense phases multiple times to get twice as many kills from the first one for a safely-preservable headstart.

• They didn't actually start at the same time as us at all, but started 10 minutes earlier and got an extra Free Match in. This would mean that the UI of ARKS League itself hides the kill counts of other players for a couple minutes after you join a league to give the illusion of a fairer competition than you're really getting. If so this would have a bigger impact (proportionally) the later you start.

• Anything else I admittedly might have missed (as I had Free Match's lack of falspawn).

@Miraglyth

Hmm you are much higher level than me so that’s possible, and maybe it depends on ships too?

My absolute highest score was just under 2000, the average being 1550-1600 so I was surprised my low score was enough. Man your version of League sounds tough! You guys really go all out! You’re probably right that they got another match before you. It just really comes down to luck, people with a head start are hard to beat, especially in a party.

And now that I think about it, my party was lightning fast in Free Match, too. It felt like I blinked and we were done, Luthers flying everywhere to secure our win. I don’t normally see it end so quickly.

@Milk said in Arks League:

It just really comes down to luck, people with a head start are hard to beat, especially in a party.

When it comes to supernaturals and Free Matches which are very fixed for enemy count and quest duration, people with a 10-minute headstart are impossible to beat provided they don't just stop before the league ends. I hope it's not that. Leagues shouldn't group people more than a couple minutes apart when the core quest isn't affected by performance. It just wouldn't be fair.

Though honestly, none of the possibilities I came up with look good to me, except maybe the UQ one. And even if it was that, what good is spending 4 leagues to find that out going to do when the leagues stop happening for several months once you know? 😕

I was pretty confused also, I just played the game like normal and I got the 10 Star Gem prize though I don't know if that was an actual placement prize or the "good try" reward lol.

Just remember you have to talk to the Leagues lady to get the prize, she will have a red "!" if she has something for you.

@Jman said in Arks League:

I was pretty confused also, I just played the game like normal and I got the 10 Star Gem prize though I don't know if that was an actual placement prize or the "good try" reward lol.

You get 10 SG for finishing between 4th and 10th in a mini-league of 20, and 5 SG for finishing between 11th and 20th. So long as you kill at least one of the designated enemy type during the league period, you should get some SG.

This means if you do well but just 3 other people (or in my case repeatedly, one other group of 3) do even marginally better, you get a reward that's no more than you generally get for killing one enemy.

I'd think maybe they could have made the falloff a little more forgiving, but if they were going to do that I'd ask them to start with weekly rankings because 200 SG for 1st and 10 SG for 21st on the entire ship is nuts.

Yeah the rewards seemed pretty weak considering 10 SG is practically nothing to me when I have almost 700 from collecting them in game.

Maybe have first prize be an AC scratch ticket and then Star Gems after that.

@Jman

Noooo shhh! I need those SG 😧

@Milk Hahaha ok maybe as what Miraglyth said and have a better fall off point between 1st and 21st.

@Sparhawk said in Arks League:

I had about 3800 kills. We just spammed an arks quest, dont know what its called, since i wasnt party leader. Its the quest in the nightfall area where its just one room and you have to kill 100 enemys. Each run only took about 45 seconds.

So yeah,there is nothing rng about that....