Our power is never going to be enough!

@Naru It's great period, and if we adapted it for PSo2 we'd add features more tailored to PSo2. a one size fits all crap like Expert Matching is certainly not better.

I fully expect those expert requirements to be updated in the JP servers and they will be based around new content announced in the PSO2 STATION + today earlier on I feel. I also expect these to be the last set of requirements to be introduced for PSO2 at least.

@YagyuChan I don't know, I would personally like them to update it but last time they did major changes they also gave a very long grace period for people to clear the new requirement. If they announce update now, I'm not sure it will be implemented before NGS launch.

@HarmlessSyan The grace period wasn’t for people to get expert but rather until the new requirement are applied. As expert matchings are tied to specific titles, so a few weeks were given in warning for people to do the new requirements for titles, while still able to use expert blocks.

@Sparhawk said in Our power is never going to be enough!:

Laughing at people who think skill matters in this game. It's a JRPG at it's heart. It's about stats and how high you can get them. Also the fact that there are multiple ways to heal yourself, automate exists on a few classes for the lazy and atlas weapons can have life leech. Everyone can carry Moon Ato's so dying means nothing since that's up to 12x5 rezes. Oh and the fact that the vast majority of content can be zerged. That's right instead of waiting for a rez, even during most UQ raid bosses, you can go back to the gateway ship and run right back into the fight. There is no skill involved when you can just throw yourself at the fight constantly because death has no true penalty. There are a few examples of you not being able to do this like the 4 player Deus Esca but the vast majority you can die as much as you want, no skill involved and still beat the boss provided you have the gear to do enough damage in the time limit. This is not a skill based game, not even close. There's a few challenges but levels, gear, stats and the right class can make it all significant eaiser before skill comes into play.

The concept definitely flew over your head because you're staring too close to the elephant. You're trying to downplay it by reasoning with the most inaccurate and simplistic argument. All RPG games is about stats and gears when it comes to relative content. What you missed is that action JRPG has always had a concept of skill being added into it. Which games such as Soul-series, Dragon's Dogma, MonHun, etc to name a few.

No one in this thread is denying gears is a factor, but It is evident that skill is an even bigger factor when it comes to performance. Such is shown from speed runs, solo clear, or low-tier gear clears. Dismissing that skill isn't a factor doesn't help your case when these things exists and it's not only in PSO2 but other JRPG games that follows these same concepts.

If your argument regarding gears being everything is true. My Br Bow with subpar gears using a Union with Brissa, which neither are affixed at all, outdps 95% of those in mpa in most content, who some even have higher tier gears such as Atlas, Invade/Austere and even in Crimson Dragon (which bows are horrible to use there).

You're dismissing the point that gears act as a leverage to do a content, but skills plays a role to show the gap between those who know what they're doing and those who don't. And this becomes more apparent in higher difficulty contents, as mpa with experienced/skilled players will clear faster than a pug group that has a mix of experienced and inexperienced players, which in turn enables them to do more run and also possibly get titles/achievements.

Another thing, 50 min timer has always the norm for EQs, it comes to no surprise that it's a generous time but note that it is a surefire solution for the worse scenario possible where it actually takes that long. In addition, downplaying Boss EQs because certain things like -mate items, other consumables, and party members exists doesn't prove your point as it's to give non-leeching players the opportunity to not have their time wasted, but of course, they could possibly abandon the quest too as another option but there are circumstances. BUT it is expected for the average MPA to clear far quicker than the amount of time given.

@SeriPSO2 That's what I meant, from when they announced the expert requirement change to actually implementing it. The last time was more than 1 month heads up announced at the Nagoya fes https://youtu.be/U1Wf_ifjUkM?t=1308

Devs found it ridiculous that 70% of the players matching for the XH urgents/emergency had expert matching on. They aim for the new requirement to only have around 30-50% of the players expert matching for the new UH difficulty.

@ZeeHero9271 said in Our power is never going to be enough!:

No, becuase the FF14 party finder lets people set their own expectations in a customizeable way. the Expert Matching is an ever rising set of hoops newer players, however skilled they may be, must jump through, and thus it is a godawful idea which will be detrimental to the overall health of the game.

You want expert matching? then demand we get a FIXED expert matching system which does NOT add new tests and gets updated each time new stuff is added, with old tests removed so people have a set standard to pass, not an ever growing one.

It's because you overlook the fact that as the game progress, you encounter far different fight than you previously did at lower level contents. So what ways best to challenge the player? By testing you with ones that match the current content considered difficult. Older episode monsters will be invalid to test players due to movesets and mechanics, not to mention gears. Such as EP1~3 enemies cannot compete to test players versus EP4 or 5. You can see this more apparent in EP5 and their boss/trash mobs and it's evident in EP6.

Like @HarmlessSyan mentioned, expert is to target a small group of players, so that when they pug, the individual at least know that the people around them are at a similar level or higher of play/skill.

Also bullshit like Phaleg can't be part of it since it ignores the rules of the game. If we need to prove we can do the games mechanics, a test which throws some of those out the window is clearly not right for it.

I do not suck, I can do XH dragon at level 75 and not die at all as people drop like flies around me. But shit like Phaleg was not intended to be fair.

I'm also quite confused as how Phaleg ignores the rules of the game. Her concept follows how any challenging boss are in any game, it makes you have pay attention, and also makes you learn your class as you fight against her. I'm not referring to the Duel quest (which has a gimmick in phase 2), but Phaleg in general as you can fight her in other quests too. Most bosses that are designed to be a challenge follow the same concept, as making a slip means a huge punishment. But these bosses aren't unfair, since they're design for people who put time to figure out how the boss works by paying attention and figuring out their tells, changing strategies/gameplay, thinking so that they will clear it.

As repeatedly mention many times before, she's not design to be intended for inexperience players and this applies to many upcoming bosses/contents that are meant to be a challenge. It's also why Phanatical Solo XQ has her and a few others in it, which is one of the current requirement for expert matching in JP atm.

@HarmlessSyan The PSO team does not have changes for expert matching in mind atm, but once the future contents that's expect to be here comes, we might actually see them change.

But atm, it'll be the same until further notice. I'm assuming that the future contents JP will get will decide what new requirements we'll get since they'll base that off statistic from player's records, etc.

@HarmlessSyan The whole aiming for a certain % of players and adjusting to make it that way PROVES that as SEGA has been handling it Expert Matching is a very misguided terrible idea.

You can't create a system/content and arbitrarily decide how many of the players will meet the requirements. That is literally game dev 101 no no territory. thats ham fisted top down mismanagement that ignores reality in favor of some idiots imagination.

The whole system needs to be entirely re thought with whoever made it in the first place fired.

You absolutely can decide arbitrarily how many of the players meet the requirements. This is not intrinsically a bad thing. PSO2 is not a gear based game. It's a skill based game that is augmented by gear. A check that relies on 80% skill and 20% gear needs to scale with gear because over time, new gear will change that ratio to 30% gear and 70% skill, Then 40% gear and 60% skill, when the whole point was to keep the ratio at 80% skill and 20% gear.

The numbers I used are for example purpose, but that's clearly the intend behind expert requirements. Unlike FF14 or any other MMO, which are super heavy gear check requirement based and less skill based (as they are not actions games and thusly dont have to deal with APM nonsense), PSO2 allows you reap rewards more so on how good you are at understanding your class' gimmicks, abusing them, and abusing the enemy AI that you've learned.

They don't even have a strict value on % of expert players. They have a rough idea of how much they want and adjust based on the player base' relative performance. They publically announce the data and have stated multiple times that the % of players with expert is around where they want and wont update it despite the fact that the criteria is painfully easy to the point that you can clear it with what is currently considered junk gear.

The whole point of expert is also to be exclusionary because at the core of PSO2, a lot of content revolves around you playing with others and with very little content made for only hardcore players, the more serious players who want a more efficient experience have a method of filtering out players who don't care for that same goal.

And this is okay. People want different things out of the game.

@ZeeHero9271 seems like the whole thing is that you are upset you cant faceroll Phaleg and unwilling to learn the fight. Your refusal to see that many players would like to play with like minded players and considers Expert Matching an improvement to their gameplay experience.

You love to bring up FFXIV's party finder yet I constantly find people joining my parties that obviously does not meet the requirement I have set - my only option at that point is to kick and blacklist them to prevent them from joining, and it be nice if a system like expert matching could prevent them from joining in the first place. I would love to have a party finder that hides my PF to players that have not cleared the current raid tier. Much like how a large portion of that game continuously ask for damage parses to have to not rely on fflogs, we want to play with like minded players.

I think the problem with trying to gate off many JP players is that for them this is an 8 year old game so most of the player base that's left probably could be defined as "expert".

@Tasty-Human-bits

You'd think so but IIRC the Expert rate is about 28%, and it's been like this for several months which is why Sega has yet to update them. Not only that, but Sega also talked about how a chunk of Expert players don't use expert match which I believe is indicative of them playing with friends more often than not or not caring about the quality of the MPA due to multishipping.

Either way, because a super majority of the player base hasn't cleared expert, despite it being repeatedly easier to achieve over time; to me that says a lot of people are overly concerned.

But then again, the global playerbase has a completely different culture and mindset so there's no guarantee the lack of issues Expert caused in JP wouldn't actually occur in GL.

@HarmlessSyan said in Our power is never going to be enough!:

@ZeeHero9271 seems like the whole thing is that you are upset you cant faceroll Phaleg and unwilling to learn the fight. Your refusal to see that many players would like to play with like minded players and considers Expert Matching an improvement to their gameplay experience.

You love to bring up FFXIV's party finder yet I constantly find people joining my parties that obviously does not meet the requirement I have set - my only option at that point is to kick and blacklist them to prevent them from joining, and it be nice if a system like expert matching could prevent them from joining in the first place. I would love to have a party finder that hides my PF to players that have not cleared the current raid tier. Much like how a large portion of that game continuously ask for damage parses to have to not rely on fflogs, we want to play with like minded players.

You can’t faceroll Phaleg? Really!?!

What type of damage are we supposed to have to be relevant?

What about the Hunter that can taunt and Tank?

@RainGnyu Look for extreme quest at the quest counter, there should be 3 solo ones towards the bottom. If you can S rank that last one (Madness and Phantasms) you are doing fine - it's level 80 content and the level cap is 90 now, should not be hard to do. S-rank time limit is 15mins of actual fighting, going between stages don't count against you.

Hunter's ability to taunt does not stop you from damaging, you got plenty of parrying/charged parrying skills while keeping up the damage

This is someone's upload on global server at Hu80/Fi80 since you absolutely despise JP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0aK5Zv2Lpw

Even this player mention this is for expert matching to have some sort of quality control in your PUG/matchmaking.