A list of changes that I think PSO2 needs in order to be more inclusive and appropriate for more players.

@Weirdo That is understandable.

@GM-Deynger said in A list of changes that I think PSO2 needs in order to be more inclusive and appropriate for more players.:

@Irisundone said in A list of changes that I think PSO2 needs in order to be more inclusive and appropriate for more players.:

I really only agree with two points: Cutting down on the lewd/NSFW symbol arts and having hair/accessories/outfits/etc available for everyone since there are some male outfits that looks really cool that I want but can't use for my main (I have a male character that I don't use as much, though). All of this other stuff just reminds me of Tumblr circa 2012-ish and it makes me cringe a little.

I think there are more who have replied who also might feel this way. So even though it seems like many of you may not agree with OP's other points, it does seem that there are a few ideas that may be helpful. This is why we support the expression of all opinions, as they can bring up related issues. For those of you who fear that this could become fact, just know that we do take note of quantities of players who feel a certain way as well.

Deynger out.

If the quantities of players matter, then why do you guys keep censoring stuff? Because the actual people who play the game don't want any of this kind of crap.

There is an option that lets you fix these issues.

If your on PC go to control panel and uninstall, If your on Xbox hover over games and apps, then delete. Steam players have to tough it out or burn their systems.

That is what I did when I loaded up the game and was offended by Affin calling me Mate when I never met the guy. Personal Boundaries broken. Things only got worse from there, like the evile collection that has the word evil in it.

I personally would like to see a lot of this, but it might run into issues with being true to the original game. A lot of these would have to be implemented in the original Japanese version of the game as well, as opposed to just the global version, if we were going to stay true to the original.

I think all the non-text based suggestions should be implemented into the game. Though they should also go in the Japanese version so it is not censorship, but a shift in the games direction.

For the text-based suggestions, I'm not a fan of all of the specifics, but I am a fan of the spirit. I think changing the text a "little" is part of localization. Just don't lose the main ideas.

I kind of like a lot of these, because they would make the game more enjoyable for me. I personally am not a fan of the rampant sexualization, but eh, they have kind of already decided this is how they are going to get people to pay money.

Personally I just wish the game in general hadn't decided to introduce lewd outfits into the game to begin with, but that has already been done, so there just isn't much we can do now.

Funny thing about being "inclusive" is that you also have to accept there are other meanings of things and other reasons things exist outside your reasoning.

Prime examples being your definitions of words being "offensive" in one context being when they are being used in the context they are being used in the game, completely harmless.

As someone with multiple mental health and neurological problems they aren't a problem to me. It's actually more "offensive" to me to change them as I understand the reasoning for their usage.

As someone who owns body pillows to curb my autistic need to hug things, I find it offensive that you call them creepy. But hey only your view matters doesn't it?

As a transgender woman who likes to show my body off I find it offensive that you think we are indirectly telling us we can't have body autonomy for ourselves by controlling how our characters look, when those characters might be a reflection of our personality. But again, you only think your view matters right?

@Meow2835 said in A list of changes that I think PSO2 needs in order to be more inclusive and appropriate for more players.:

As a transgender woman who likes to show my body off I find it offensive that you think we are indirectly telling us we can't have body autonomy for ourselves by controlling how our characters look, when those characters might be a reflection of our personality. But again, you only think your view matters right?

I like this response! Though I do agree it is about what I want, which is why I support the idea of these changes in general. Though it has very little to do with some lofty goal of being inclusive, but is rather what I would prefer the game to have been.

@Meow2835 said in A list of changes that I think PSO2 needs in order to be more inclusive and appropriate for more players.:

Funny thing about being "inclusive" is that you also have to accept there are other meanings of things and other reasons things exist outside your reasoning.

Prime examples being your definitions of words being "offensive" in one context being when they are being used in the context they are being used in the game, completely harmless.

As someone with multiple mental health and neurological problems they aren't a problem to me. It's actually more "offensive" to me to change them as I understand the reasoning for their usage.

As someone who owns body pillows to curb my autistic need to hug things, I find it offensive that you call them creepy. But hey only your view matters doesn't it?

And you just earned my utmost respect with this post.

@Moei said in A list of changes that I think PSO2 needs in order to be more inclusive and appropriate for more players.:

I personally would like to see a lot of this, but it might run into issues with being true to the original game. A lot of these would have to be implemented in the original Japanese version of the game as well, as opposed to just the global version, if we were going to stay true to the original.

I think all the non-text based suggestions should be implemented into the game. Though they should also go in the Japanese version so it is not censorship, but a shift in the games direction.

For the text-based suggestions, I'm not a fan of all of the specifics, but I am a fan of the spirit. I think changing the text a "little" is part of localization. Just don't lose the main ideas.

I kind of like a lot of these, because they would make the game more enjoyable for me. I personally am not a fan of the rampant sexualization, but eh, they have kind of already decided this is how they are going to get people to pay money.

Personally I just wish the game in general hadn't decided to introduce lewd outfits into the game to begin with, but that has already been done, so there just isn't much we can do now.

Yes, so now instead of only censorship and control of global, now you want audiences outside of Japan, to control what the Japanese market has available to it's citizen, and control the user base there. At least that's how this translates to me. Haven't you ever heard the saying, if it's not broken don't fix It? That's doubling down on what's wrong with gaming as an industry, and the world as a whole.

Inclusiveness of all, means everyone gets what they want to some degree, and you don't get to pick and choose what part of it you want. Thus why I liked the idea of more player choice when it came to outfits being unisex. More over less player choice and freedom. If you don't like sexuality provocative outfits on your characters, don't dress them that way, but don't tell other players how to dress theirs.

If you want to talk moral high grounds, a true moral high ground doesn't include one individual controlling another within reason. What that means is short of anything illegal, or that doesn't physically harm you or financially harm you, you don't have a say. You having your rights in a society, doesn't mean you have the rights to infringe on the rights of others.

Now you want to talk financial survivability of this game. For starters most global players that I run into, have openly discussed how they prefer Japanese games, to other markets, for the simple fact that it's different. That it doesn't force you to be conservative of your choices in what your character wears, or what your character looks like. This includes sexuality of their character, even by extension it's outfit reflecting that sexuality. I.E. showing skin.

You'd think someone with a liberal mindset, would remember that it's was conservatives of even the early 2000's who were prudish, and were appalled by any signs of sexuality, and wanted women to conform to a norm. That's why I call the progressive mindset, regressive, as all it does is take us back to those times.

Humans by their very nature are sexual, and even the average, most sexually repressed prude can't deny that. The most popular videogame mods on even NEXUS's site are nude mods, or mods that allow for both men and women to show skin at least to some degree, and that degree is dependant upon each user. Nudity does factor into sales, even a skimpy outfit like a bikini, normal bathing suits are what draw in the money, and none of this can be denied here.

What you want in this game, and what makes SEGA the money to keep the servers running are two entirely different things, and what OP asked for, combined with what you asked for, would kill this game outright, both the global, and Japanese version. Your forced and very false inclusion would end PSO2, and as such there would be no game. Is that what you want?

@Anarchy-Marine I think they're is a bit of a misunderstanding. I'm not saying that I think the op's suggestions are all more inclusive, and I have no interest in most of the moral aspects. I simply would have preferred a game that did not pander to sex in such an overt way.

This was a design decision that was made a long time ago, and I don't think anything can be done about it at this point. I think this is more something that I would like addressed in future games or maybe in ngs as a toggle option or something.

I am stating that I'm not a fan of their original design decision. This is the one so aspect of the have I dislike the most even in the Japanese version.

@Moei Toggle options are fine, but wouldn't need to be also implemented in Japan, because they aren't so concerned about showing skin. The vast majority of outfits you are currently able to see have existed on their servers for years and to the best of my knowledge, never had negative feedback.

Just because a select few don't like that aspect of the game, doesn't mean the entire game should change to fit those tastes, when the game lobby themselves tell you what the vast majority of the user base likes. They like to look like bad asses, with anywhere from small, to large amounts of sex appeal.

There's also the overly adorable players, but those are unicorns. Rare, and fun to find.

@Anarchy-Marine sorry, I believe there is confusion again. For my comment on implementing it to the original game, I was referring to literally backtracking on a decision that was made so almost a decade ago. I would prefer it if they did this, for myself, but I also recognize this would literally kill the game. Ie, I would have preferred a fundamentally different design decision, which at it's core, means I simply wanted a different game.

I realized this boat sailed about a decade ago, and it is too late to actually change how they designed the game. I do want the developers to get feedback that not everyone likes the particularly design decisions though, so maybe this can be considered for future games.

@Anarchy-Marine said in A list of changes that I think PSO2 needs in order to be more inclusive and appropriate for more players.:

There's also the overly adorable players, but those are unicorns. Rare, and fun to find.

This is what I want, but I also realize I'm rare. I want anything that will make the game pinker, fluffier, and look like a madoka magika basically.

@Moei Even if the boat hadn't sailed a decade ago, it would likely be asked for as a feature, as players love having more options with outfit choices in their games. Basically they are living vicariously through their characters, as many of those fashion choices, they couldn't afford in real life. In some instances, they also would face judgement for wearing those outfits in real life, as the world is a judgemental and harsh place.

In some cases they seek to recreate characters from other games, or anime, thus why the KonoSuba scratch sold so well. Same with Nier. It will likely be the same with future scratches, and some of those collabs even have a bit of skimp to them. I only know because I ran searches for what outfits there were, because I wanted to plan ahead.

@Anarchy-Marine and there are other games that allow for skimpy clothing, correct?

No, this is simply my preference on what I would have preferred to see in a game. Nothing more, nothing less. I simply disagree with the developers/designers decision, and therefore I'm not really their target audience.

@Moei To some degree yes, other games do, but not to the deggree Ive seen in PSO2, and not to such a variety, as there are so many outfit choices, that almost anyone would be happy with what they'd find. Some of the outfits that I saw had released in Japan, that we don't have just yet, are exactly what you'd be looking for with your cutsey character. There's even plate armor options, full body.

You're not the target audience if you can't accept that other players will be wearing those outfits that you detest, but you would be if you could accept that those players exist. That's really more on you, than It is the developer.

@Anarchy-Marine said in A list of changes that I think PSO2 needs in order to be more inclusive and appropriate for more players.:

@Moei Your not the target audience if you can't accept that other players will be wearing those outfits that you detest, but you would be if you could accept that those players exist. That's really more on you, than It is the developer.

Hmm, I agree that the players exist, I have no problem interacting with such players, and like them as well. The players I have no problem whatsoever with. I am just not a fan of the design decision to add lewd outfits into the game from day 1.

If we were to take this out of players, let's just think of this in the form of a single player game. Assuming two games were exactly equal, except one had lewd outfits for female characters, I would buy the game with the least skimpy outfits. This is simply my preference.

When we play games, the rules and world are designed by the developers/designers. I am simply disagreeing with them, as this is simply not the game or experience "I" wanted.

Others opinions are completely valid, I just have my own. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm outnumbered by 100x out of current players.