A list of changes that I think PSO2 needs in order to be more inclusive and appropriate for more players.

Hello there! My name is Emilia Harmony, and I've really been enjoying PSO2! The game is super fun and I really appreciate the lengths that Microsoft and Sega have gone to in order to bring us this wonderful game! I also appreciate that the developers have taken various steps to making the game more inclusive and appropriate for a wider range of players. However, I think that while many of the changes over time have been for the best, I think we can do better. There are still some things in the game that could be considered quite harmful and I think they need to be addressed. Given that the developers have already taken steps to eliminate some of the more toxic things in the game, I would hope they would continue on this track and improve the game further by implementing some of these changes.

I actually wrote up a list of stuff and posted it on social media as an image, but I figure I'll rewrite it all in plain text for the forum here. Shouldn't take me too long! 😄

In order to make PSO2 better, and more safe for marginalized groups, I propose the following changes:

• GMs need to make more effort in stopping players from using obscene Symbol Arts.

• Though you did a good job with removing the harmful term "Master" from the Auxiliary text, you seem to have missed that when you first make a new Auxiliary, they still refer to you as "Master". Please fix this.

• Related to the above, the Photon Art "Master Shot" should be changed to something like "Split Shot" and the augment "Mastery" could be changed to "Diversity".

• The term "Blind" is used frequently and can be offensive to those with disabilities. I propose changing all instances of this to "Bewilder".

• There's a few instances of the word "Trigger" and this term can itself be a trigger to those who suffer from trauma. Therefore, I suggest that the "Trigger" items that let you start UQs be changed to "Generator". "Chain Trigger" should also be changed to something like "Combo Marker". And also, "*Ideal Trigger" should be changed to "*Ideal Twin"

• The game uses the term "Crazy" a couple times, which can be considered offensive to some. I think the skill "Crazy Beat" could be changed to "Wild Beat" instead.

• The weapon camos "*HUneweral" and "*FOneweral" need to be completely removed from the game. They are creepy AF and have no place in this game.

• All outfits and layered wear MUST be equippable by ALL characters, regardless of assigned gender. There are many people that play this game that identify as non-binary or other genders, and restricting them to only using certain outfits is simply not ok. Plus people will have more choices in general!

• There's a lot of story scenes that are really not acceptable and they need to be changed or cut entirely. In some of them, the problems could be solved by giving the characters more appropriate outfits, buuut there's a much larger problem with some story scenes, like many of those involving Gettemhult. A lot of scenes involving him (and others) need to be either heavily edited or removed entirely due to inappropriate content. You can convey the story without resorting to toxicity, which Gettemhult seems to be all about. Essentially, if you look at the story scene and think that it's kinda sketchy, it probably needs to go.

• Many costumes in this game are in serious need of edits. There's far too many that objectify women, or are otherwise inappropriate or harmful, and they need to go. Some of them can be edited to be more appropriate, but others are just beyond saving and will likely need to be removed entirely. This includes, but is not limited to: Mikoto Ensemble, Idea Ensemble, Selvaria Swimwear, Severing Shadow, Kirika's Swimwear, Rakshasa Binding, Reaver Swallow, Lady Tacker, Sweet Simoon, Varza Ratio, Duskwake Regalia, Avent Lace, Combat Raider, Dual China, Micro Mini Shorts, Exotic Monokini, Outlandish Bikini, Raqasa Shamir, Arcano Delier, Aile Aetos, Frigid Floral F, Maidenly Ogre, Crazy Kitten, Luna Prophecy, Viel Cytus, Innocent Cytus, Mikoto-Matoi, Captive Records, Alis Battlewear, and Nocturnal Mists.

There's probably other things that also need to be fixed, but taking care of these problematic pieces of content would definitely make the game safer for a wider variety of players to enjoy! 😄

GMs need to make more effort in stopping players from using obscene Symbol Arts.

There's a reason why there's a hash on them. When a Symbol Art is blocked by the system, all copies of it will also cease to function. There's no reason to actually put more effort into it when there's already a system in place for the GMs to server-wide blacklist the Symbol Art. (This is why you may notice some Symbol Arts not being used anymore, or slight alterations now being used instead.)

Related to the above, the Photon Art "Master Shot" should be changed to something like "Split Shot" and the augment "Mastery" could be changed to "Diversity".

These won't change, because of contextual reasons. Both of these are completely fine. In particular, the word "Mastery," is never used in the context of Slave/Master situations in any community or country.

The term "Blind" is used frequently and can be offensive to those with disabilities. I propose changing all instances of this to "Bewilder".

In Final Fantasy, the term was changed to "Darkness" for the status ailment. However, words like "Blindside" sre perfectly fine. The word "Bewilder" sounds more like it would be better suited for the "Panic" status ailment in PSO2.

"Chain Trigger" should also be changed to something like "Combo Marker".

A better term would be "C. Chain Link."

And also, "*Ideal Trigger" should be changed to "*Ideal Twin"

Ideal Trigger is a Bullet Bow, and is part of the "Ideal" series of 13-star weapons. Twin doesn't sound like it should be used. Perhaps instead it should be "Ideal Arbalest" or "Ideal Reflex" or something.

The weapon camos "*HUneweral" and "*FOneweral" need to be completely removed from the game. They are creepy AF and have no place in this game.

That won't happen because they are references to the original Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast and Gamecube.

buuut there's a much larger problem with some story scenes, like many of those involving Gettemhult

This is one of the reasons why after Episode 4-5 came out, the game's rating was changed from T to M. (They couldn't submit a new rating registration until an expansion came out. Much like Final Fantasy XIV.) They already removed a hot springs / bath scene from the game, which to be honest, you probably would have been fine with. Considering all of Episode 4 was basically an Isekai Anime.

There's far too many that objectify women

Just you wait until the gigantic breast torso outfit.

Selvaria Swimwear

This is still a thing in Valkyria Chronicles itself. Not going to be changed unless the source material is also changed.

What the Karen did I just read?

@Emilia-Harmony said in A list of changes that I think PSO2 needs in order to be more inclusive and appropriate for more players.:

Hello there! My name is Emilia Harmony, and I've really been enjoying PSO2! The game is super fun and I really appreciate the lengths that Microsoft and Sega have gone to in order to bring us this wonderful game! I also appreciate that the developers have taken various steps to making the game more inclusive and appropriate for a wider range of players. However, I think that while many of the changes over time have been for the best, I think we can do better. There are still some things in the game that could be considered quite harmful and I think they need to be addressed. Given that the developers have already taken steps to eliminate some of the more toxic things in the game, I would hope they would continue on this track and improve the game further by implementing some of these changes.

I actually wrote up a list of stuff and posted it on social media as an image, but I figure I'll rewrite it all in plain text for the forum here. Shouldn't take me too long! 😄

In order to make PSO2 better, and more safe for marginalized groups, I propose the following changes:

• GMs need to make more effort in stopping players from using obscene Symbol Arts.

Block them

• Though you did a good job with removing the harmful term "Master" from the Auxiliary text, you seem to have missed that when you first make a new Auxiliary, they still refer to you as "Master". Please fix this.

I personally didnt care, the translation just couldve been better, the typo bothers me more than the issue

• Related to the above, the Photon Art "Master Shot" should be changed to something like "Split Shot" and the augment "Mastery" could be changed to "Diversity".

stop.... just stop..... it's Mastery of a skill, you know... being good at something?

• The term "Blind" is used frequently and can be offensive to those with disabilities. I propose changing all instances of this to "Bewilder".

If you debuff an enemy and they can't see, you've blinded them. this is just proper grammer, and this type of status has always been blind dude

• There's a few instances of the word "Trigger" and this term can itself be a trigger to those who suffer from trauma. Therefore, I suggest that the "Trigger" items that let you start UQs be changed to "Generator". "Chain Trigger" should also be changed to something like "Combo Marker". And also, "*Ideal Trigger" should be changed to "*Ideal Twin"

just stop

• The game uses the term "Crazy" a couple times, which can be considered offensive to some. I think the skill "Crazy Beat" could be changed to "Wild Beat" instead.

that is beyond unnecessary

• The weapon camos "*HUneweral" and "*FOneweral" need to be completely removed from the game. They are creepy AF and have no place in this game.

isnt it just a body pillow? have you ever watched anime or seen merchandise their kinda everywhere. its not even nudity

• All outfits and layered wear MUST be equippable by ALL characters, regardless of assigned gender. There are many people that play this game that identify as non-binary or other genders, and restricting them to only using certain outfits is simply not ok. Plus people will have more choices in general!

kind of the only thing so far im ok with that you said, i have a Felix clone from rezero on jp and he needs more short skirts

• There's a lot of story scenes that are really not acceptable and they need to be changed or cut entirely. In some of them, the problems could be solved by giving the characters more appropriate outfits, buuut there's a much larger problem with some story scenes, like many of those involving Gettemhult. A lot of scenes involving him (and others) need to be either heavily edited or removed entirely due to inappropriate content. You can convey the story without resorting to toxicity, which Gettemhult seems to be all about. Essentially, if you look at the story scene and think that it's kinda sketchy, it probably needs to go.

Enough about the outfits, do you even watch anime? everyones always wearing skimpy stuff get over it, theres far worse out there. And the fact that you're so triggered by Gettemhult is honestly hilarious. He's an angry, aggresive, edgy, violent character yes, it's kind of part of his plot dude. Why do you think elder goes for the angry guy all about strength. Ohh nooo he's edgy and toxic we gotta cancel him, ok twitter...

• Many costumes in this game are in serious need of edits. There's far too many that objectify women, or are otherwise inappropriate or harmful, and they need to go. Some of them can be edited to be more appropriate, but others are just beyond saving and will likely need to be removed entirely. This includes, but is not limited to: Mikoto Ensemble, Idea Ensemble, Selvaria Swimwear, Severing Shadow, Kirika's Swimwear, Rakshasa Binding, Reaver Swallow, Lady Tacker, Sweet Simoon, Varza Ratio, Duskwake Regalia, Avent Lace, Combat Raider, Dual China, Micro Mini Shorts, Exotic Monokini, Outlandish Bikini, Raqasa Shamir, Arcano Delier, Aile Aetos, Frigid Floral F, Maidenly Ogre, Crazy Kitten, Luna Prophecy, Viel Cytus, Innocent Cytus, Mikoto-Matoi, Captive Records, Alis Battlewear, and Nocturnal Mists.

..... I was gonna say something funny but the fact that you included a swimsuit in your "revealing items" has me laughing p hard rn, guess i'll go swim in a pancho and slacks. If you have so many problems with this game go play something else, you're obv stressing yourself.

There's probably other things that also need to be fixed, but taking care of these problematic pieces of content would definitely make the game safer for a wider variety of players to enjoy! 😄

blegh

Furthermore this game is rated M, they can put in as many swimsuits as they want. Asking for the removal of costumes lol

Thanks for opening my eyes, OP. I'm uninstalling the game as we speak.

Even if you are trolling, please get rid of this, we don't need a gm taking this seriously like they did with the slave raven thing. It is fun to poke at Sega's nonsense but my gosh. If anything, we need the opposite of this stuff.

Seems like the only suggestions that actually make it in game is if: it makes Sega more money or more censorship nonsense.

This is how you poke fun at them:

GmDeynger: Here's the weekly suggestion report.

-list of good suggestions, even ones with lots of discussions-

Sega person responsible for taking suggestions: hm..

• better pvp system? hm, we have the technology, but that's too much effort and won't make us money

• making the game like jp that has lasted 8 years? naaahh, we can't have negative press

• Fresh finds having a preview? Oh I guess we can do that. That should make us more money and take very little work! Get on it devs!

• Urgent quest schedule on time? Ahh, not our problem. Can't be done

• more covering their ass? YES, YES. We don't even actually care about if this actually offends someone. But covering us? Make sure this is in next maintenance!

• actual good/well thought out suggestions that are good for the game? -trash toss-

Ah, I should really visit this forum less. Always get angry reading here (ty sega of jp for ignoring a majority of the people who care enough about the game to visit your forum, i'm always reminded of this when i visit here). Probably why people are mad so much.

@Emilia-Harmony said in A list of changes that I think PSO2 needs in order to be more inclusive and appropriate for more players.:

I'm sorry,I know this has to be bait, and a troll move, but if any of the GM's or Developers listen to your toxic nonsensical BS, I'm done with this game. People like you, and your politics are what's slowly killing the film industry, it's all but killed free thought in several places online, and it's now working to censor anime and games, and will inevitably kill the gaming industry.

If you don't like the game, don't play it, but don't ruin the fun in the game for everyone else that enjoys it. It's pretty damn selfish. Again, I know this is bait, because of the way it's worded, but this type of thought process is why I avoid watching film anymore, and I want no part of the social "Justice" crap, when we all know that there is no actual justice to be found in those that claim to be for said justice. Just prejudice, ignorance, and blind hatred of differences.

Also, Gettemhult? Really? If this a real SJW post, it would be a pretty bad hill to die on, in and of itself, as the dude had a mental breakdown, related to the loss of his girl. You'd think even an SJW would be smart enough to understand that, and actually like the nuance of such tragedy. Just bad bait all around. You are the living embodiment of that meme going around about how someone new to DnD ruined it for everyone else, by immediately trying to change everything about it, because they didn't like it.

if this is not a Karen is a giant bait

what you have against Sue and Rupika?

As I figured, lots of toxic replies to this... Sigh

@Emilia-Harmony You are the one that's toxic. Everyone here was mostly enjoying the game, and then you come along, and want to ruin it for everyone else.

ok is a Karen so let me throw a counter argument to the objectifying women, you can also objetify males in this game and in your hipocricy don't say anything about it also we don't care if you can or cannot is your own choice if you want or not to put skimpy outfits in your character and that is something we enjoy here the freedom of doing whatever we want with our characters

@Jamesmor We can also point out, that if they don't want their characters to dress a certain way, that they don't have to dress them that way, as there are plenty of other outfit choices. But never should it be ok for one player, to tell another player how to dress. It would be akin to telling someone in real life how they should dress, and it would be like forcing a stranger to conform for their view of normal. Do you know how many woman in the real world hate that shit? How many women hate being told what they should or wouldn't wear? Because I see it all of the time.

This is a worldwide issue, not just an issue in the US, as there are weirdos everywhere that tell people how they should dress, what music they should like, etc. It's pretty damn ridiculous that people feel they should have the right to control others, and OP is no exception. Bait or no bait. As this is obviously a throw away account that thats trying to piss off the fans of the game. Even their Twitter account is new, and that's also a toss away.

How about NO?