What suggestion can we give the Sega team that makes the NA platform distinctively different than the JP platform? Something even JP veterans didn’t see coming.

@ZeeHero9271 That would be terrible tbh. When I did play XIV, there was always a lot of waiting and then it'd pop while you were stuck in a cutscene or something. I can deal with it as long as we don't have that party finder lol

@Miraglyth said in What suggestion can we give the Sega team that makes the NA platform distinctively different than the JP platform? Something even JP veterans didn’t see coming.:

Exaggerated impressions aside, it would be nice if we had the same amount of translation. "An item equippable as a Sword." on dozens of items will never not be boring.

Noted and will be brought up to the team. 🙂

@ZeeHero9271 So far I still haven't seen an actual reason from you why expert matching system is bad, as you are mainly just insulting the game devs for making the system and should be fired all over the fact that you think Phaleg is broken (she's not) and you can't beat her. The purpose is to separate the playerbase to like minded players and that's what many games do, I just feel that PSO2 expert system is far better than the ilvl setting on FFXIV as they hand out easy welfare tomestone gear and does not actually stop anyone.

GHNeko summed up the purpose of expert matching pretty well and why it's updated

@GHNeko said in Our power is never going to be enough!:

You absolutely can decide arbitrarily how many of the players meet the requirements. This is not intrinsically a bad thing. PSO2 is not a gear based game. It's a skill based game that is augmented by gear. A check that relies on 80% skill and 20% gear needs to scale with gear because over time, new gear will change that ratio to 30% gear and 70% skill, Then 40% gear and 60% skill, when the whole point was to keep the ratio at 80% skill and 20% gear.

The numbers I used are for example purpose, but that's clearly the intend behind expert requirements. Unlike FF14 or any other MMO, which are super heavy gear check requirement based and less skill based (as they are not actions games and thusly dont have to deal with APM nonsense), PSO2 allows you reap rewards more so on how good you are at understanding your class' gimmicks, abusing them, and abusing the enemy AI that you've learned.

They don't even have a strict value on % of expert players. They have a rough idea of how much they want and adjust based on the player base' relative performance. They publically announce the data and have stated multiple times that the % of players with expert is around where they want and wont update it despite the fact that the criteria is painfully easy to the point that you can clear it with what is currently considered junk gear.

The whole point of expert is also to be exclusionary because at the core of PSO2, a lot of content revolves around you playing with others and with very little content made for only hardcore players, the more serious players who want a more efficient experience have a method of filtering out players who don't care for that same goal.

And this is okay. People want different things out of the game.

On the other side of the coin, for people that cannot pass the expert requirement but still want to play the game - not having high damage players kill everything in an instant

@ZorokiHanuke said in Our power is never going to be enough!:

@HarmlessSyan If expert matching takes away the people who can one shot stuff and leave me to work myself out of situations in the non expert urgent stuff, then it's a god send for me. I may claim to be a bad and lazy player, but I abhor being carried even if the carrier does it unintentionally. So if the git gud players leave for expert matching, then that means I'll be in a situation I where I can pull my own weight without feeling totally useless. And if the Urgent fails, it won't be because of me. I certainly don't care much about rewards nor completion rates. I'm here for the combat.

@Milk said in Our power is never going to be enough!:

@ZorokiHanuke

I’m the same way. Carries feel bad in any game, you won but it doesn’t feel like you earned it. I don’t think that makes you wrong, it means you care about doing your share and care about the wellbeing of the party.

I think it is beneficial for both groups - expert and non-expert. The only ones that would be complaining would be the bottom tier players that are sad that there are less high damage players carrying them through content.

@GM-Deynger said in What suggestion can we give the Sega team that makes the NA platform distinctively different than the JP platform? Something even JP veterans didn’t see coming.:

@Miraglyth said in What suggestion can we give the Sega team that makes the NA platform distinctively different than the JP platform? Something even JP veterans didn’t see coming.:

it would be nice if we had the same amount of translation. "An item equippable as a Sword." on dozens of items will never not be boring.

Noted and will be brought up to the team. 🙂

Good to hear, thanks! Though, uh, I kind of hope this isn't the first time? 😅 This has been kind of a reoccurring request since beta...

If it helps lend weight to the request, the latest of a few legacy suggestion topics for it is relatively recent.

@ApollosAmour said in What suggestion can we give the Sega team that makes the NA platform distinctively different than the JP platform? Something even JP veterans didn’t see coming.:

For sure. As a translator, I just cringe when people ask for little to no localization.

I was just talking to my girlfriend earlier about this, and how so many translations of JRPGs lately have been using the blanet term "Undrestood" anytime someone acknowledges a question.

"I need to go over here and do this thing, can you wait here for me?" "Understood."

"Do you want me to take you this place quickly?" "No I'm okay, thanks for the offer though." "Understood."

"We're not ready yet to do the thing, so hold on for a bit and go do something else, and we'll let you know when we're ready to go do the thing." "Understood."

Are Japanese to English translators unaware that there are multiple ways to acknowledge a statement beyond the word understood? I mean, it's such a jarring word to be used in the first place a singular statement for acknowledgement, but using it in reference to casual conversation or questions just makes it even worst. Seeing even Final Fantasy XIV fall into this kind of took me for surprise as well, SE usually has a better handle on their translations and localization than that, and yet here we are.

@Blade-Syphon It's a real fine line with terms like that. Typically it'll go back to what JP/EN dictionaries say. That's the same reason why we see "it can't be helped" as often as we do.

What I like to do is change things up enough to where they sound natural and not too samey, but still convey the same flow and meaning. So I might have literal text like "I placed my hands on the table. As for placing my hands on the table, I clenched my fists." where I cut the fat and end up with "I placed my hands on the table, clenching my fists." Or in the case of "Understood", I might have one type of character use that and another use "Got it" or "OK".

There are some scripts where you can get close to a 1:1 translation, but even then you still have to account for sentence structure and things like that. Accuracy is always good, but the people asking for it usually don't know how it works (even though they think they do).

@ApollosAmour said in What suggestion can we give the Sega team that makes the NA platform distinctively different than the JP platform? Something even JP veterans didn’t see coming.:

That would be terrible tbh. When I did play XIV, there was always a lot of waiting and then it'd pop while you were stuck in a cutscene or something. I can deal with it as long as we don't have that party finder lol

You're talking about Duty Finder bro. that's the random matching thing. Party Finder is where you set your own expectations to find people, and that is and always will be objectively superior to the idiotic mess expert matching was.

Also when I Saw someone call tomestone gear "Welfare" gear I knew that guy was one of -those- people that devs need to completely block out.

It's a GOOD THING for people to be able to get gear guaranteed from daily currency. its basic game design 101 that working on the game should feel rewarding.

PSo2 already has a huge grind for endgame weapons, and I havent seen a single rational argument for why the one size fits all "Expert" Matching system is a positive thing. It's literally a really bad fake dev making up an arbitrary number and cutting the game to fit. that's not game development, that's like a tailor cutting off a guy's feet so the pants fit him.

The devs do not decide how good how many players get at the game. Expert matching was nothing but an attempt to create an "elite" segment of the game that never has to touch the rest of the community. its literally a form of segregation. it hurts the community and does not help the bad ones improve.

If you can't see that, then there is no point trying to argue, since you're too set in the cancerous mentality that is eating gaming from the inside out. I only hope that cancer is cut out before all online games become too toxic to bear.

@ZeeHero9271 Ah, I see. My mistake.

EDIT: I made this before you edited your post to add all of that. I was just commenting on confusing the two finders lol

@ZeeHero9271 You will be the one left behind as skill-based matchmaking is making it's way into most games. While there are critics on some parts of it, most people consider it to be integral part of gaming.

Yes I called tomestone gear welfare gear, but never said to take it away. It just makes the whole ilvl setting (your 1 way to prevent people joining and SE's way of "segregation") on party finder completely pointless as gear does not mean skill to clear the content that the party finder was made for.

There are some scripts where you can get close to a 1:1 translation, but even then you still have to account for sentence structure and things like that. Accuracy is always good, but the people asking for it usually don't know how it works (even though they think they do).

Yeah. In the FFXIV case, it is used in a semi-military setting, but the problem is, rather than having the soldier or NPC or whoever the hell it was (I hate to say it, but outside of the Scions pretty much every NPC looks the same) responding to their CO's order with a simple "Understood", it would have been more approriate for something like "Sir, yes Sir, we understand!" or even "Understood, sir".

But a blanket response of "Understood" seriously just jarrs the English major in me to a fundamental degree. I also agree with what you said, when I write I tend to try to mix up actions and responses as best I can without becoming too overly the same. The example you used is actually a perfect one as well.

And yeah, very rarely does a 1:1 localization work - case in point, Xenogears. I love the game, it's fantastic, but it's translation is so terribly jank because SE at the time rushed the translation job, and had the single translator do a 1:1 translation of it, leading to some seriously questionable lines and phrases that lost almost all context to them.

@HarmlessSyan What makes you think I wont make the requirements for expert matching? my being against it has nothing to do with my skill level it's entirely based on common sense, and the fact Expert Matching is nothing but a one size fits all barrier between players in a PVE game.

That is not a good thing, and people who think it is should GTFO of online games so the decent adults can have fun.

@ZeeHero9271 said in What suggestion can we give the Sega team that makes the NA platform distinctively different than the JP platform? Something even JP veterans didn’t see coming.:

@HarmlessSyan What makes you think I wont make the requirements for expert matching? my being against it has nothing to do with my skill level it's entirely based on common sense, and the fact Expert Matching is nothing but a one size fits all barrier between players in a PVE game.

That is not a good thing, and people who think it is should GTFO of online games so the decent adults can have fun.

Can you stop being completely inflammatory to people who hold a position opposite to yours? You're not even objectively right. You're just shoving your opinions down people's throat and cursing at people who don't want to swallow whatever you're trying to force-feed them.'

You're not winning people over to your side let alone even formulating a convincing argument other than "this is bad and you should feel bad"

@ZeeHero9271 I'll probably regret dropping down to your level but let's see....

Your complaint about how Phaleg is completely broken (she's not), and trying to pin it on ping issues which is hilarious as combat is usually client side only with the exception of the Battle Arena. Most people can pass Phaleg especially the extreme quest version if they are willing to put some small effort in it, yet it is just non-stop complaint from you.

Your complaint about how affix system is bad and doing the same what you are doing in here, just throwing insults to anyone who disagrees without any real reasoning and arguments. There's ways to avoid the RNG but of course you didn't even try to listen to the other side in that thread much like in here.

Your lack of knowledge of the game in general such as Buster quests (main vs free) and gear upgrade systems at Zig such as the Cleasis Units - and upon learning, you don't even have the items to upgrade it - are you even doing content? 🙄

@ZeeHero9271 said in What suggestion can we give the Sega team that makes the NA platform distinctively different than the JP platform? Something even JP veterans didn’t see coming.:

Oh... the irony of thinking yourself to be decent... 🤡

Uh huh. you think I'm not decent, because you think I somehow suck at the game and that's why I'm complaining about an unfair battle (at least on level havent tried at level 90 yet).

Well heres some news, the decent one isn't you for sure, since you're basically slandering me without ever having seen me play and no information on me whatsoever aside from whatever you want to believe based on my posts.

How about growing up a bit?

Uh huh. you think I'm not decent, because you think I somehow suck at the game and that's why I'm complaining about an unfair battle (at least on level havent tried at level 90 yet).

An unfair battle that requires you to only learn her attack pattern and act accordingly (dodge, counter, parry, etc). There's enough evidence shown to you by now that it's because you lack skill play to clear it and that's required from you is to put in effort, and THINK differently on how to approach her.

This is the biggest issue I see with players like you who blame a fight being a cheat when the real problem was that it was a player issue. All that's needed was effort/thinking to be put into the game so that they can clear said content. While this is not aimed at the entire Global playerbase, is it that difficult to ask people to think and put effort now? If you fail, TRY and TRY again.

Also, it bothers me when Global players try to mention something from JP and parrot it off on here. If you have no actual personal knowledge of whatever it may be, don't try to even use that to argue for or against.

So it'd be really dumb to argue against a system you have not experienced yet. Because at this point I doubt you cleared expert requirement if you even played on JP to start with and that, I even doubt.

Well heres some news, the decent one isn't you for sure, since you're basically slandering me without ever having seen me play and no information on me whatsoever aside from whatever you want to believe based on my posts.

@HarmlessSyan seems to be well-informed and knowledgeable enough from their many posts I've seen that I give benefit of the doubt they can't clear Phaleg nor Expert matching. Your numerous posts are more evident that you lack info or is misinformed, and have no insight on how PSO2 is, on top of why things are the way they are.

You've been cherry picking comments (from other threads too) to try and argue with subjective claims because something said offended you or that you just focus on a specific phrase so much that you're just staring too close to the elephant. It's clearly evident how you felt offended because Syan called you out for not being able to clear Expert requirement from your replies. There's also the case of you trying to insert systems from XIV that would not work very well here. You tout it's Dev 101 but clearly lack the insight nor knowledge that SEGA is a pretty transparent company and takes feed back from their players. Not to mention that you lack knowledge how JP games and their concepts/designs are as many of the same/similar genres have base foundations that reflect one another.

So trying to say Party Finder would be the best for PSO is not actually true because you have gotten the fact that Party Finder was a system that easily bred toxicity/elitism behaviors because it bottlenecks even a larger portion of players since it gives you the option to micromanage. And this is accessible for all players.

Expert Matching is, like Neko said, to separate the more serious portion of players and the casual/newbie players. So that the serious players can have people who are at their skill level because they want optimized clears. While casuals and newbie tend to not care very much about it and just want to enjoy or learn the game. So this system has shown so far that it has been working.

So it begs the question, what is worse? A system that you can micromanage and cherry pick whatever they want or a system that lets any serious player play with each other when they queue alone or with a group. Because the average player who's seriously playing don't care what class the person next to are, as long as the individual is consistent and knowledgeable.

How about growing up a bit?

So far, most of the people who's replied to you have been civil and respectful, but you return that with a demeanor of a spoiled, ignorant child by name-calling and refusing to actually look at the evidence provided in front of you. It really shows your mental age when you attack someone for not accept your side of the argument and not actually backing up your arguments with logic, proper sources, etc...

So how about you grow up, please?