Global players and character design.

@Milk said in Global players and character design.:

managed to make a completely custom Tamer, Valkyrie, Dark Knight and Maehwa but I wasn’t able to do so for Lahn or Witch

Weird. Tamer, Valk, DK and Witch are pretty much the very same.

@Shirokami07 said in Global players and character design.:

You either make a base character with some hair/eye/tattoo differences or a deformed monster like that Michael Jackson. And even so, that's as far as the face goes. Because you can't edit the body at all.

"deformed monster" Bruh that is what MJ looked like....

https://www.bdotemplates.com/

There you go fam, thousands of things to check out. Will you? Probably not let's face it your mind is already made up. PSO2 good BDO bad we get it. Your other off-handed comments showed as much.

@Milk

I'm hopeful NGS has more options that bring PSO2 up to a more 2020 standard. What we have is nice but definitely agree the details could be a lot better.

@Gamers-are-so-oppressed said in Global players and character design.:

You either make a base character with some hair/eye/tattoo differences or a deformed monster like that Michael Jackson. And even so, that's as far as the face goes. Because you can't edit the body at all.

"deformed monster" Bruh that is what MJ looked like....

https://www.bdotemplates.com/

There you go fam, thousands of things to check out. Will you? Probably not let's face it your mind is already made up. PSO2 good BDO bad we get it. Your other off-handed comments showed as much.

@Milk

I'm hopeful NGS has more options that bring PSO2 up to a more 2020 standard. What we have is nice but definitely agree the details could be a lot better.

Yeah, thanks for proving my point. They all look exactly the same and having always the same hairstyles makes it a lot worse.

BDO more dated than PSO2 in character customization.

Yeah, thanks for proving my point. They all look exactly the same and having always the same hairstyles makes it a lot worse.

BDO more dated than PSO2 in character customization.

If you say so sir knight.

@Shirokami07

I was trying to make caucasian characters but the noses and eyes usually were the problem. The sliders would change the size but not the overall shape of the default. Some classes were just easier to shape than others, as noted by people’s uploaded avatars. Tamer is easy because she’s pretty anime looking so people could exaggerate her features without her looking like a monster, I saw a lot of 2B from NieR Automata recreations for that class.

@Gamers-are-so-oppressed

Oh absolutely, I think they’ll update it and I’m looking forward to it. I’m sure when this game was new the customization was considered remarkable but it’s just dated now.

I get frustrated with it sometimes because dress up is a huge aspect/selling point of this game yet I only have four faces to choose from and while there are sliders for each aspect of the face, I’m not pleased(as I’ve said before) with sliders affecting multiple areas and I don’t like that I can’t customize the nose or mouth more. Finally it makes me angry that different outfits change my character’s shape so drastically so I’m stuck deciding what body shape I can live with that compliments most outfits. Take the Yukari Takeba’s Uniform, for example. My character has slightly wider hips and she looks like a blimp in this outfit and only this outfit. It’s frustrating.

If the game didn’t focus so much on dress up then I’d give it more of a pass.

It's like you expect westerners to be CREATIVE or something lol

Give them a game like BDO and they'll just swipe templates off the Asian clients because they can't make a character themselves.

Give them a game like PSO2 and they'll simply make monstrosities or fetish characters.

Give them FFXIV and they'll all look the same anyway because (insert popular races here)

I got my Quno cosplay so im happy! pso20201013_163554_001.jpg

@Kofi9867

To be fair with FFXIV there’s usually only 1-2 good looking face options so everyone kinda looks the same. I wanted a Highlander because I never see them but there’s always something off about every face like option1 unable to change lip pigment.

Lots of detailed comparisons in the character creation of two games, but I think the premise of this topic is what needs that kind of scrutiny.

What's wrong with Global players? [...] Is this perhaps the average western beauty standard?

This seems incredibly anecdotal and subjective, and calling it a quest doesn't make the alleged effort seem any more credible to me.

Myself and the people I play most closely with spent at minimum most of an hour on our first characters, and a couple of them even making and saving multiple looks with a standalone PSO2 character creator before the game's PC release.

Most of the characters I've encountered as party or MPA members look fine and have clearly employed the sliders to provide either a measured amount of diversifying customisation or attempt a unique structure, expression and/or proportions.

Are the latter always successful? Heck no. But anyone claiming that none of the millions of JP players (many of whom are western) have ever created a character that fails to meet an arbitrary standard of beauty is clearly wearing rose-tinted glasses.

@Miraglyth said in Global players and character design.:

Lots of detailed comparisons in the character creation of two games, but I think the premise of this topic is what needs that kind of scrutiny.

What's wrong with Global players? [...] Is this perhaps the average western beauty standard?

This seems incredibly anecdotal and subjective, and calling it a quest doesn't make the alleged effort seem any more credible to me.

Myself and the people I play most closely with spent at minimum most of an hour on our first characters, and a couple of them even making and saving multiple looks with a standalone PSO2 character creator before the game's PC release.

Most of the characters I've encountered as party or MPA members look fine and have clearly employed the sliders to provide either a measured amount of diversifying customisation or attempt a unique structure, expression and/or proportions.

Are the latter always successful? Heck no. But anyone claiming that none of the millions of JP players (many of whom are western) have ever created a character that fails to meet an arbitrary standard of beauty is clearly wearing rose-tinted glasses.

I challenge you to go to the most populated block and find ONE character whoose facial sliders aren't monster tier. Then do the same in JP.

there's no good fashion on global

ergo

no good looking characters

I challenge you to [...] aren't monster tier.

Right, and who'd be the judge of that? You, right? The word for this exercise would not be challenge, but farce.

@Miraglyth said in Global players and character design.:

I challenge you to [...] aren't monster tier.

Right, and who'd be the judge of that? You, right? The word for this exercise would not be challenge, but farce.

Eh... I think it is just a weeb letting us global players know that JP number 1 and we will never be as good as them. English JP players have this weird elitism about them for some reason and I am not really sure why.

so... beauty standards are not subjective?