Global players and character design.

@Gamers-are-so-oppressed said in Global players and character design.:

@Milk said in Global players and character design.:

I put a lot of time into my characters because I recreated my D&D gang.

I’m not impressed with the character maker at all and don’t feel I can accurately make everything I want to.

Certain sliders affect multiple areas. If I want a butt then I have to have a thicker lower stomach as well. If I want thicker thighs then I have to have cankles, hips that sit too high or both. If I want half-lidded eyes then it just makes my eyes look small. If I want a fuller upper lip then it affects my lower one as well.

Maybe people just aren’t impressed with the sliders either and hit OK with the premade options.

I’ve spent 6 salon passes on my main alone, there’s always something bothering me. Usually a new outfit will bring out a terrible feature. I recently bought Altina Replica secondhand and my character’s average sized legs looked like tree trunks in that outfit.

I can agree with the character creator, probably was more interesting back in 2012 but not so much now days with games like BDO and such.

BDO character creation is extremely poor next to PSO2 though?

You can barely make any facial changes in BDO without ruining everything. You can't make any body sliders modification and any modification gets completely deformed.

Or at least it was that way one year ago when I played it.

Most interesting character I saw recently was a guy who used a bunch of Marlin heads and he was breakdancing. It looked like four big floppy fish bouncing around, drew quite the crowd!

@Milk said in Global players and character design.:

I put a lot of time into my characters because I recreated my D&D gang.

I’m not impressed with the character maker at all and don’t feel I can accurately make everything I want to.

Certain sliders affect multiple areas. If I want a butt then I have to have a thicker lower stomach as well. If I want thicker thighs then I have to have cankles, hips that sit too high or both. If I want half-lidded eyes then it just makes my eyes look small. If I want a fuller upper lip then it affects my lower one as well.

Maybe people just aren’t impressed with the sliders either and hit OK with the premade options.

I’ve spent 6 salon passes on my main alone, there’s always something bothering me. Usually a new outfit will bring out a terrible feature. I recently bought Altina Replica secondhand and my character’s average sized legs looked like tree trunks in that outfit.

I think you might need to affix your chara creation skills. If you can't do it it's probably a you problem, I've seen great chars in JP. Not the case in Global and we both have the same character creator.

I mean, beauty is subjective. I personally find the "default"/balanced/middle positions for the juvenilis setting quite pretty as is and don't really like to stray too far from them. In fact, I feel it's difficult to really mess a face up with that as a starting point.

Outfits and hairstyles, though... those are difficult, since nearly everything seems to be limited time only, with many things even untradeable. Only my "sexy" character really has a lot of options there, the rest just kinda muddles along in Alyx replicas or haphazardly put together placeholder outfits.

And lol@the picture, you see those kinds of crazy abominations a lot in PvP^^ The swordfish is a full-on staple.

@Crimduval said in Global players and character design.:

ART.

pso20201013_113601_000.jpg

I always chuckle when I see outlandish things like that in game, so I usually welcome that, as it's a select few players that do it, so it makes a sort of fun mini game to locate said players.

@Shirokami07

No you’re right. BDO is very hard to make a character that isn’t their character, Lahn being the most difficult for me. I had the most difficulty with the nose and mouth. You also can’t have a busty or curvy character unless your class is already curvy and the hair options are extremely limited. You can edit some of them and do pretty neat things to make them look different but some hairs won’t even allow it. Not enough costume wigs in game either.

I think B&S has the most customization I’ve encountered for a recent game. I can edit everything separately, even hands and feet. It’s the one game I could make my characters look exact, too bad the game just isn’t fun.

Aion’s customization was ahead of it’s time. I couldn’t get into the game but you could literally make anything. I’d love to see something like that for this game.

@HarmlessSyan Oh I never said they were good at it, just an assumption that most western players care about end game as most of the more popular mmos here have some form of it. PSO2 doesn't really. That assumption going off Anarchy's comment on how people burn through the content (Which would imply it is easy to do so)

@Shirokami07 Is there really a ton of solo content? The main interesting quests being urgents? You as a solo player are also apart of that sync. If you can't sync, then the rest of the team dies too. Kind of like a specific urgent quest with limited faints.

Far as BDO's character creator goes it blows PSO2 away as it kind of should again as PSO2 is from 2012. Sounds like you just had trouble dealing with it. You can just go google BDO character creator and see some pretty good stuff.

@Shirokami07

I do have good looking characters, I’m pointing out that sliders shouldn’t affect multiple areas and this character creator isn’t the best.

@Gamers-are-so-oppressed But it is easy to burn through content, especially where story is concerned. Several users just skipped every cutscene, did all the UQ's, and repeatedly reached the threshold on content, and said it was boring because they did everything. I've seen several posts like that on here alone.

Those same people will often complain about there being zero lore behind the games bosses, lore which exists in the story cutscenes they skipped. There are plenty of players like that, and I've noticed those players never really care about the RPG aspect of this game. They only care about feeling like a space traveling bad a*s, but I mean who doesn't feel like that when fighting monsters twice, or even three times your size.

@HarmlessSyan Oh I never said they were good at it, just an assumption that most western players care about end game as most of the more popular mmos here have some form of it. PSO2 doesn't really. That assumption going off Anarchy's comment on how people burn through the content (Which would imply it is easy to do so)

@Shirokami07 Is there really a ton of solo content? The main interesting quests being urgents? You as a solo player are also apart of that sync. If you can't sync, then the rest of the team dies too. Kind of like a specific urgent quest with limited faints.

Far as BDO's character creator goes it blows PSO2 away as it kind of should again as PSO2 is from 2012. Sounds like you just had trouble dealing with it. You can just go google BDO character creator and see some pretty good stuff.

Every PSO2 content is doable solo.

Also, BDO character creation has nothing on PSO2's. In BDO you can create only the standard character they give you, and slightly modify it which is a nightmare to do and not create a monstrosity.

PSO2 character creator is pretty good for 2012 but is now outdated, but NGS seems to be bringing some revamps.

Character creator like V-Katsu on steam (its free) is a pretty decent anime style avatar generator - yes I know where the original source of this is but this version at least is made for all ages for VR avatar generation.

@Anarchy-Marine Oh I'm in agreement, it is quite easy as you can faceroll most content. Thus why I think the game leans more into the social / fashion aspect which is fine.

@Shirokami07 Oh I am aware but what strictly solo content? Otherwise why not go with other players?

I get that you really love PSO2 and might be a bit bias but just graphically speaking BDO destroys PSO2. Just because you can't create a good looking character, doesn't mean others can't. PSO2 was good for it's time but....

In BDO you can create only the standard character they give you, and slightly modify it which is a nightmare to do and not create a monstrosity.

Is uuh... Michael Jackson a standard character?

michael_jackson_black_desert_online.jpg

Maybe uuhh Black Widow? black_desert_creator_template_blackwidow_scarlet_1-600x338.jpg

This is just from a 10 sec google search, I'm sure you can find plenty others as well.

@Anarchy-Marine Oh I'm in agreement, it is quite easy as you can faceroll most content. Thus why I think the game leans more into the social / fashion aspect which is fine.

@Shirokami07 Oh I am aware but what strictly solo content? Otherwise why not go with other players?

I get that you really love PSO2 and might be a bit bias but just graphically speaking BDO destroys PSO2. Just because you can't create a good looking character, doesn't mean others can't. PSO2 was good for it's time but....

In BDO you can create only the standard character they give you, and slightly modify it which is a nightmare to do and not create a monstrosity.

Is uuh... Michael Jackson a standard character?

michael_jackson_black_desert_online.jpg

Maybe uuhh Black Widow? black_desert_creator_template_blackwidow_scarlet_1-600x338.jpg

This is just from a 10 sec google search, I'm sure you can find plenty others as well.

1. Deformed character
  2. Standard character

Uhhhh, nah bro. BDO even lacks hairstyles.

Graphically speaking, BDO wins for a few years but barely, it's aged as badly and sometimes worse than PSO2.

@Shirokami07

How many sections of the face can you adjust in PSO2? How many sections of the body? Can you change the shape and width of your hair in PSO2? How many colors can you have in your hair in PSO2? Can you move your fingers in PSO2?

I mean c'mon, I like PSO2 as well but

Graphically speaking, BDO wins for a few years but barely

You are just trolling now surely. Surely we don't need to bust out the PC requirements for each game. Also the fact that most people add filters to their PSO2 screenshots.

@Shirokami07

How many sections of the face can you adjust in PSO2? How many sections of the body? Can you change the shape and width of your hair in PSO2? How many colors can you have in your hair in PSO2? Can you move your fingers in PSO2?

I mean c'mon, I like PSO2 as well but

Graphically speaking, BDO wins for a few years but barely

You are just trolling now surely. Surely we don't need to bust out the PC requirements for each game. Also the fact that most people add filters to their PSO2 screenshots.

How many sections of the face can you adjust in PSO2?

All of them

How many sections of the body?

Everything except feet and hand size

Can you change the shape and width of your hair in PSO2?

No, but to help this there are almost half a thousand hairstyles. How many does BDO have? 10? 15?

How many colors can you have in your hair in PSO2?

Everything is possible.

Can you move your fingers in PSO2?

No, can you in BDO in any meaningful way and do it selectively?

"Surely we don't need to bust out the PC requirements for each game."

I didn't know piss poor game development and optimization means the game is better.