Hero is a disappointment

This class highlights just how bad this game's combat design can be. I picked up this class because I saw that it could use sword (my main weapon) but it was also very fast with it's abilities as opposed to hunter's sword having more weight but being a bit sluggish, so I wanted to try out this class to spice things up a bit. Boy was I wrong. This class is a complete CHORE to play. Not fun at all.

There's so much stuff that you need to focus on that it feels like it's a battle between myself rather than the monsters i'm fighting. To play this class "optimally" you need to keep switching between weapons and combo their photon arts to build up the hero gauge quickly. So now you can't just have a main that you prefer to use, you HAVE to learn the other two weapons and their photon arts and you have to switch CONSTANTLY. Imagine switching weapons literally every two seconds. How is that anything but tedious? On top of that, you need to i-frame EVERYTHING. If you don't, you literally lose damage.

This is the same game that has 20 enemies on your screen at once and it expects me to be able to dodge every single one of their attacks and if I can't, then I get hard punished for it? That's bogus. Not to mention, if you are using a controller you might as well not even pick up this class because you need to have the ability to switch weapons INSTANTANEOUSLY in order to play hero well, which is dumb. You literally can't play this class optimally if you use a controller because you can't switch weapons fast enough to reap that weapons specific benefits in clutch situations. It's ability to switch weapons without manually switching is a complete joke because the animation takes to long. I did beat the challenge quest against phaleg as hero though... so that's cool. The funny thing is, phaleg is honestly one of the easier things to beat as hero because you can reliably counter her straighfoward moves as opposed to the majority of enemies in this game but I digress. Hero sucks

TLDR: Hero is far too overwhelming, tedious and it's design is essentially at odds with the core gameplay design of PSO2.

@SalutexMO said in Hero is a disappointment:

This class highlights just how bad this game's combat design can be. I picked up this class because I saw that it could use sword (my main weapon) but it was also very fast with it's abilities as opposed to hunter's sword having more weight but being a bit sluggish, so I wanted to try out this class to spice things up a bit. Boy was I wrong. This class is a complete CHORE to play. Not fun at all.

There's so much stuff that you need to focus on that it feels like it's a battle between myself rather than the monsters i'm fighting. To play this class "optimally" you need to keep switching between weapons and combo their photon arts to build up the hero gauge quickly. So now you can't just have a main that you prefer to use, you HAVE to learn the other two weapons and their photon arts and you have to switch CONSTANTLY. Imagine switching weapons literally every two seconds. How is that anything but tedious? On top of that, you need to i-frame EVERYTHING. If you don't, you literally lose damage.

This is the same game that has 20 enemies on your screen at once and it expects me to be able to dodge every single one of their attacks and if I can't, then I get hard punished for it? That's bogus. Not to mention, if you are using a controller you might as well not even pick up this class because you need to have the ability to switch weapons INSTANTANEOUSLY in order to play hero well, which is dumb. You literally can't play this class optimally if you use a controller because you can't switch weapons fast enough to reap that weapons specific benefits in clutch situations. It's ability to switch weapons without manually switching is a complete joke because the animation takes to long. I did beat the challenge quest against phaleg as hero though... so that's cool. The funny thing is, phaleg is honestly one of the easier things to beat as hero because you can reliably counter her straighfoward moves as opposed to the majority of enemies in this game but I digress. Hero sucks

TLDR: Hero is far too overwhelming, tedious and it's design is essentially at odds with the core gameplay design of PSO2.

Post too long to read!

Guessing he or she doesn’t like Hero!?

@RainGnyu Me liking it or not is kind of irrelevant. The point of the post is to show how poorly designed the class is

@RainGnyu Me liking it or not is kind of irrelevant. The point of the post is to show how poorly designed the class is

And that is your personal opinion......

@RainGnyu Not really. Having a class that punishes you by slicing you damage pracitcally in half for getting for not i-framing any attack that deals small amounts of damage in a game hat throws hordes of enemies at you at every moment is pretty bad design. Also, punishing you for using a weapon you enjoy the most

Not to mention, you literally don't have the option to play the class optimally on a controller because you need to constantly and instantaneously switch your weapons, which isn't possible with switching via pad.

I have no idea how a controller makes it harder to swap weapons on hero, it’s literally built into the pa’s it’s just one button press either x, y, or rb depending what button you have it assigned too

@RainGnyu Not really. Having a class that punishes you by slicing you damage pracitcally in half for getting for not i-framing any attack that deals small amounts of damage in a game hat throws hordes of enemies at you at every moment is pretty bad design. Also, punishing you for using a weapon you enjoy the most

Not to mention, you literally don't have the option to play the class optimally on a controller because you need to constantly and instantaneously switch your weapons, which isn't possible with switching via pad.

Theirs plenty of people that manage it to I frame everything, just because you struggle to do it, doesn’t make it a poorly designed class, just means it’s not the right class for you

@TEN-SQUARE-3 said in Hero is a disappointment:

Theirs plenty of people that manage it to I frame everything, just because you struggle to do it, doesn’t make it a poorly designed class, just means it’s not the right class for you

Wrong. This person beat the final bosses without taking damage, defeated execuor without taking damage and beat omega masquerade 999 without trouble

and even this hero player almost dies to random mobs because it's impossible to i-frame attacks being thrown at you by twenty enemies simultaneously. It's bad design for like, 99% of the content this game has to offer. No mobbing capabilities and insane tedious weapon swapping.

I have no idea how a controller makes it harder to swap weapons on hero, it’s literally built into the pa’s it’s just one button press either x, y, or rb depending what button you have it assigned too

Because the photon art animation is too slow to use it as a way to reliably swap weapons on the fly. Most hero players with keyboard just ignore that feature and just regularly swap weapons manually because it's faster.

Hero looks flashy and cool but the execution on this class is downright sad. Here's hoping the next scion classes won't be as disappointing as this one.

Because the photon art animation is too slow to use it as a way to reliably swap weapons on the fly. Most hero players with keyboard just ignore that feature and just regularly swap weapons manually because it's faster.

Hero looks flashy and cool but the execution on this class is downright sad. Here's hoping the next scion classes won't be as disappointing as this one.

I just spoke to someone on my alliance who’s a pc player and has played hero non stop since it came out, and they use the pa’s to swap no problem.

Has for dodging theirs plenty of people that’s do it, lots of people love the class, if it was impossible has you’re making it out to be that wouldn’t be the case. Just because you can’t do something or find something tedious doesn’t make it a poorly designed class. Everyone has different tastes theirs lots of people who love the variety of the weapons and nailing the combos between them, the fact that you don’t like it just means it’s not the class for you.

It’s the same with me for gunner, I find that class extremely tedious to play and I hate it, but that doesn’t make it a poorly designed class just because I don’t like, it just means it’s not the right class for me.

@TEN-SQUARE-3 That person probably isn't that good then. The pa weapon swap is unreliable because it takes to long to actually swap.

I just showed you a video of a top tier hero player who physically cannot dodge mobs because the gameplay is too chaotic to see every single attack made by every single enemy at every single moment. It's bad design. The class was made for fighting straightforward bosses not for the majority of the content.

@TEN-SQUARE-3 That person probably isn't that good then. The pa weapon swap is unreliable because it takes to long to actually swap.

I just showed you a video of a top tier hero player who physically cannot dodge mobs because the gameplay is too chaotic to see every single attack made by every single enemy at every single moment. It's bad design. The class was made for fighting straightforward bosses not for the majority of the content.

Here a link of a hero player doing exactly what you said can’t be done

https://youtu.be/6KP969GXSdQ

And as for that person not being that good they’ve unlocked both ‘a worthy opponent for fiends’ and ‘mad lethal combat fury’ titles

sometimes you gotta take the L and admit you're bad at the class bud.

Hero would feel much smoother if normal TMG attack filled up PP instead of using it.. 100% agree with OP post, Hero is too clunky

Sounds like the problem is behind the keyboard/controller