A test on the effectiveness of affixes Take 2

I’ve started a new thread for this, as the last one got a bit convoluted, and it’s easy to start fresh than carrying on with that. I’d like to thank people for the feedback they gave me about how I could improve my experiment, in particular the choice of the second weapon stating information more clearly and using the test dummy. I would of liked to do a more practical example but this seems to be the consensus on the best way to do it.

In both these examples I will using max alliance buff, Shifta drink, and shift buff. Both rods are lightning based, it doesn’t make a huge difference for forces as we have a skill in our tree that means we only lose 5% element even when we are using a different element.

In the first example I’m using a nem sage + 35 with 185 attack buff, and 3 units with 150 attack buff. I know in the previous post I said 200, but I thought the tech from timed affixes worked everywhere, turns out that’s not the case. 2 of the units are clifard and the other is union, here’s some images so you can see my gear and my stats, and after all gear and buffs I’m sitting at 5026 tech

5AF98109-9B3B-46B4-B08B-651FB7B659FE.jpeg

7F4C1E96-A01F-48D5-8CE3-9BBD91E14C39.jpeg

Here a screenshot of my damage with this setup against the test dummy.

D21E7430-9138-4716-BE38-34ED6A847397.jpeg

In my second example I’m using a raven sage +35 with only a 15 attack affix on it. It has the same damage potential as the nemesis and is for all intensive purposes the same weap. The units I am using are an un affixed Brissa set. One thing to note the two clifard units and union unit give a total of 95 tech between them, where has the Brissa set only gives 70 tech, but the raven sage also has 15 tech on it, so it works out to be only a 10 tech difference, a small difference but still worth noting. Here’s an image of my stats with the raven and Brissa set, and as you can see I’ve got 4399 tech after all gear and buffs

150014A7-517E-448D-8030-D1DAD2196E5D.jpeg

Here’s a screenshot of my damage with this set up on the test dummy

F69AA4C0-8D22-4A88-A7BD-4CEFDAAEC519.jpeg

Has you can see that’s a damage difference of 31,477. So that is the potential damage difference between affixed and un-affixed gear. Now let me be clear I don’t care if you have affixed gear or not, has long as I can finish the runs I’ll be happy, this is purely to show the difference, as their has been a lot of debate but no real evidence to support either way. Also I apologise about the quality of some of the photos my Xbox was being difficult about uploading them, so I had to use my phone. I’ll try to upload better quality photos later

Element conversion is actually only a 2.36% difference. The way it works is that it is multiplying your weapon element amount by the stated %.

• 50% of 60 = 30% (or 1.3x)
  • 45% of 60 = 27% (or 1.27x)

And the difference between that is 1.3/1.27 which is 1.0236 (or 2.36%)

_

To close off your findings as well; a difference of 31,477 might sound big, but a true comparion would be this:

• 247303/215826 = 14.58% damage difference

Remember that this is also going from 4399 -> 5026 tech power. A difference of 627 tech power. It is also a 14.25% stat difference.
And as your total attack increases, the amount of additional stats real value decreases (aka affixes have a bigger impact the less stats you have).
Additionally, if it was only a 314 stat increase, it would only be a 7.29% damage increase.

Also, this sort of logic ONLY applies to techs as they do not get the weapon element attack increase. That means you will be seeing an even smaller increase to your damage output if you are using anything not a technique.

To make a comparison, adding weapon element attack to his stats would change it to this: (60% of 1775 is 1065)

• 4399 -> 5464
  • 5026 -> 6091

Which 6091/5464 = 1.1148, or 11.48% more dmg (compared to 14.25% for techs)

That's roughly 3.5% per 156 attack, around 2.3% per 100 attack as myself and others have said. It surely doesn't make a huge difference.

Is it worth to spend hundred of millions for such a small gain with NGS coming out next year?

Edit: New players would benefit more from cheap HP/PP affixes imho. An alive player dealing damage is better than a dead player doing no damage at all.

@Reilet said in A test on the effectiveness of affixes Take 2:

Element conversion is actually only a 2.36% difference. The way it works is that it is multiplying your weapon element amount by the stated %.

• 50% of 60 = 30% (or 1.3x)
  • 45% of 60 = 27% (or 1.27x)

And the difference between that is 1.3/1.27 which is 1.0236 (or 2.36%)

_

To close off your findings as well; a difference of 31,477 might sound big, but a true comparion would be this:

• 247303/215826 = 14.58% damage difference

Remember that this is also going from 4399 -> 5026 tech power. A difference of 627 tech power. It is also a 14.25% stat difference.
And as your total attack increases, the amount of additional stats real value decreases (aka affixes have a bigger impact the less stats you have)

Yep that’s a pretty good conclusion

For Min Maxers it is worth the cost to them but for most average casual players as long as they have high rarity weapon/unit at max grind levels they SHOULD not be deadweight as long as they know how to play their class.

Thank you for testing by the way. Maybe do one with u grinded weapon to show how much of a difference it is vs +35.

Thanks for all your work on this! 🙂

@condor said in A test on the effectiveness of affixes Take 2:

That's roughly 3.5% per 156 attack, around 2.3% per 100 attack as myself and others have said. It surely doesn't make a huge difference.

Is it worth to spend hundred of millions for such a small gain with NGS coming out next year?

Edit: New players would benefit more from cheap HP/PP affixes imho. An alive player dealing damage is better than a dead player doing no damage at all.

I’m not asking anyone to spend that kind on affixing, this is just purely a demonstration. I enjoy affixing so it didn’t bother me spending that kind of money, and most people are going to fall somewhere in between un affixed gear amd high end affixed gear.

People definitely shouldn’t neglect pp, some classes you can’t even play effectively without high pp, bow braver for example. I’m honestly not sure how much difference hp and defensive stats actually make though I’ve got a decent amount of hp and all def built into those augs, and I haven’t noticed any difference in the damage I take, and a lot of stuff can still one shot me, if I don’t move, parry, or quick illusion out of the way. Though being a force pro isn’t the best example to showcase the difference those stats can make, it’s a pretty unforgiving class when it comes to defense, and is all about not getting hit in the first place

@Albedo said in A test on the effectiveness of affixes Take 2:

For Min Maxers it is worth the cost to them but for most average casual players as long as they have high rarity weapon/unit at max grind levels they SHOULD not be deadweight as long as they know how to play their class.

Thank you for testing by the way. Maybe do one with u grinded weapon to show how much of a difference it is vs +35.

I don’t have any ungrinded one atm, but if I pick one up I can definitely do this.

@TEN-SQUARE-3 said in A test on the effectiveness of affixes Take 2:

I’m not asking anyone to spend that kind on affixing, this is just purely a demonstration. I enjoy affixing so it didn’t bother me spending that kind of money, and most people are going to fall somewhere in between un affixed gear amd high end affixed gear.

I was not talking about you, but you said you did this test to see for yourself if affixes made such a difference or not and in that other thread the OP said that people without 200 attack affix are "garbage" and they should buy his stuff.

It was pretty known knowledge that +100 attack results in a very small gain in terms of damage, given the amount of players that said that with or without numbers, still there will be people saying that affixing makes a huge difference, even after your test.

Point is, in a fight vs a 3M HP boss (like Phaleg), using your numbers and in the best case scenario (critting everytime), you'd need 13 hits to kill it with affixes, 14 without affixes.

I understand that there is a lot of subjectivity involved, but I doubt that one more hit, even two, can be considered a "huge difference", so pushing new players, like some did on that other thread, to go for attack instead of HP or PP is, at best, misleading imho.

@TEN-SQUARE-3 said in A test on the effectiveness of affixes Take 2:

I was not talking about you, but you said you did this test to see for yourself if affixes made such a difference or not and in that other thread the OP said that people without 200 attack affix are "garbage" and they should buy his stuff.

It was pretty known knowledge that +100 attack results in a very small gain in terms of damage, given the amount of players that said that with or without numbers, still there will be people saying that affixing makes a huge difference, even after your test.

Point is, in a fight vs a 3M HP boss (like Phaleg), using your numbers and in the best case scenario (critting everytime), you'd need 13 hits to kill it with affixes, 14 without affixes.

I understand that there is a lot of subjectivity involved, but I doubt that one more hit, even two, can be considered a "huge difference", so pushing new players, like some did on that other thread, to go for attack instead of HP or PP is, at best, misleading imho.

You are completely right for most enemies it’s 1 hit quicker, sometimes 2 if the numbers fall just right. Theirs a few exceptions to this, this enemy that you fight in Dark Vestige XH is one.

0BC75A9E-5377-4F67-9773-4908E4876974.jpeg

You have to break its 4 joints, to send it into a stun phase, where you can do a lot of damage quickly. With affixes I can break each joint with a single hit, so 4 casts, which allows me to get to the stun phase very quickly. With out affixes I can’t break the joints in a single hit, so it takes 8 casts to send it into a stun phase. So it essentially takes twice as long to take out this enemy, and that’s without taking into account misses, cause it jumps around a lot. Though that being said enemies that have specific conditions like this are few and far between

Yes, I know that there are few exceptions and it would make sense to go heavy with min-max if you are into TA and aiming at #1 rank, still that doesn't justify the OP of the other thread calling players "garbage" or people claiming that the difference is huge.

Probably most casuals won't go beyond weeklies on 3 chars and it would take months for them to farm 200m for a single piece (as the other thread's OP demanded), with NGS coming next year and new content released at a fast pace they may get discouraged or aggressive by reading such statements.

Yes, I know that there are few exceptions and it would make sense to go heavy with min-max if you are into TA and aiming at #1 rank, still that doesn't justify the OP of the other thread calling players "garbage" or people claiming that the difference is huge.

Probably most casuals won't go beyond weeklies on 3 chars and it would take months for them to farm 200m for a single piece (as the other thread's OP demanded), with NGS coming next year and new content released at a fast pace they may get discouraged or aggressive by reading such statements.

Yeah it’s def never ok to call other players garbage for any reason, and as much as I enjoy affixing and I would always encourage people to do some basic affixing, their really isnt any substitution for knowing how to play your class and knowing the run.