Please consider making game a bit more culturally diverse

@WATCHMEHEAL I think it's a valid suggestion, whether it actually comes to pass or not. Sorry that the people here are being douchebags about it. This place is very bitter.

I think everyone was okay, we express ourselves differently..some are more bitter than others but we want the same...to keep the game fun. They finally came to NA and around the world and I can understand some of the reasoning behind some points.

Let's not scare SEGA away guys 😊 and let's keep it cool

@XenoBladeX37645 said in Please consider making game a bit more culturally diverse:

@TsunamiAura said in Please consider making game a bit more culturally diverse:

typical liberals brain wasted in the entitled mannerism. Can't believe people believe their has to be a equal race or color per game. If this was a thing guess what marvel and dc universe would not be around nor would anime. What a joke of people here with this logic. If you don't like it make "your own ethical game" yourselves.. sheeeshh.

You really outta chill out...same with you @Not-A-Bear

I have a better idea. SJW scumbags quit censoring the game and then there won't be anything to complain about 😄

certain folks in this thread really thinking the idea of a written character having more melanin in their skin is something thats Forced upon them. do ya'll think that when you see dark-skinned people in real life? calm down.

@WATCHMEHEAL character diversity is something thats always good to discuss! given that you can make your character chubby, but there are no visibly chubby npcs, for example, is a bit disappointing. anime-styled games are perfectly capable of being as diverse as reality without diminishing the stylization, and i feel it'd make the more fantastical aspects of the game all the more fantastical. as for the more culturally-driven story ideas, thats something i myself can't speak much on, seeing as i'm an assorted saltine at best.

though as someone said earlier, having someone from the culture they could write about being on board is always a good idea. leads to less clownery like with ep4 where the only distinctly black-coded man in the entire arc was a serial bomber who got killed as soon as he was introduced. yeowza.

also, dark-skinned japanese people very much exist.

@Not-A-Bear I think it's time to log off of twitter.

@Gingercake said in Please consider making game a bit more culturally diverse:

but there are no visibly chubby npcs

Hans wants a word with you. Even the original PSO had "plus sized" NPCs.

@Gingercake said in Please consider making game a bit more culturally diverse:

certain folks in this thread really thinking the idea of a written character having more melanin in their skin is something thats Forced upon them.

If someone requests it and the change is made for everyone, then yes, it is forced. It is against the will of the authors and against the wishes of the playerbase.

do ya'll think that when you see dark-skinned people in real life? calm down.

When I meet a black-skinned person in real life, I greet him, hug him, we are friends.

character diversity is something thats always good to discuss!

Definitely no.

given that you can make your character chubby, but there are no visibly chubby npcs, for example, is a bit disappointing. anime-styled games are perfectly capable of being as diverse as reality without diminishing the stylization, and i feel it'd make the more fantastical aspects of the game all the more fantastical. as for the more culturally-driven story ideas, thats something i myself can't speak much on, seeing as i'm an assorted saltine at best.

There is a limit to being chubby. ARKS are military, remember that. If there were more overweight NPCs, that would be quite bizarre.

though as someone said earlier, having someone from the culture they could write about being on board is always a good idea. leads to less clownery like with ep4 where the only distinctly black-coded man in the entire arc was a serial bomber who got killed as soon as he was introduced. yeowza.

Mh?

also, dark-skinned japanese people very much exist.

Yes, the Ainu. Some communities still exist today, but they are very few, probably fewer than Native Americans in proportion to the population. (According to wikipedia, they are 25.000). Quite unlikely to find them in a videogame or anime. For obvious reasons, many Japanese people think that the Ainu do not even exist, which had become extinct. Furthermore, those remaining Ainu are most likely descendants of the true Ainu.

I still remember when they put the winner design of the 2012 character creation contest as a NPC in game with special client orders on JP. The one and only time they did it.

alt text

@Michelle Ainu bit whiter. I think Jomon ethic more darker but not black, bit brown like south east people.

@WATCHMEHEAL If you mean "culturally diverse" as in "let's have more different themed planets and locations with differing cultures that can be explored further", sure.

If you mean "more dark skinned characters", then what you're asking for is "ethnic diversity", which is pretty... eh? Sure I guess?

Small tangent to explain thought: I find it strange that people who talk about representation often proceed to link ethnicity and culture together while ignoring the fact that people with different skin tones growing up in a place will adopt the culture of the area instead. Especially when it's the crowd that crows for "multiculturalism". Very strangely short sighted.

If you were to look at PSO2, since we're on the topic, we're basically a monoculture living on a ship. Given that, from what we've seen, there's no real distinct cultural... anything really, other than Quna being an Idol (which is pretty distinctly Japanese, but for all we know the term used here could simply mean performer since we don't know if she does other idol stuff), would having darker skin really represent anything? This isn't to say that you can't have darker skinned characters, it's just that it's strange to think that it'll be representative of anything cultural.

But hey, if you wanna make a character who's skin is obsidian, power to you. If SEGA decides to put in a character who's skin is so dark light reflects off it in a shade of purple and blue, sure, good for you.

I demand more white people in Japanese games! Please make your Japanese characters yellow so as not to confuse them with white people. Also, please add Starbucks accessories, show me your manager hairstyle and an NPC named Karen that gives out client orders for only white people and explains white culture. (insert eye rolling here)

I can be anything I want in this game. Any color, a man, a woman, a robot, have horns, wear nothing but body paint or be completely covered, have an afro, be bald or have hair down to my buttocks. Regardless of the world that was created, I can add whatever culture, color or flavor I want by creating my character to be, do and say whatever I want. They've written a story and invited you to be a part of it no matter where you're from, who you are, what color you are or what you believe. It isn't fair to require someone's imagination to cater to you personally. That'd be like me getting upset that Spike Lee films have an unequal amount of white actors and when he does have white actors they're usually the villain, an idiot or presented as white but really Italian, Hispanic, Asian, Jewish or some other race that isn't actually white. Just be you. You don't need recognition and validation in everything.

I don't really think the game needs to be culturally diverse necessarily, it's got a pretty diverse cast of people as is. If anything they should just replace everyone with more sexy cast males, and also remove echo since she's always trying to steal my man.

Cultural diversity....

Meanwhile on JP:

pso20160410_144521_004.png

@Michelle said in Please consider making game a bit more culturally diverse:

Cultural diversity....

Meanwhile on JP:

pso20160410_144521_004.png

NO!!!

@Michelle What kind of abomination is that? Lmao.