Game won't launch

I'm using Tweaker on PC, Microsoft Store version. When I click "Start PSO2" Tweaker minimizes, Game Guard does not load, and nothing happens. 2 minutes later Tweaker shows the "it's been 2 minutes and PSO2 still hasn't loaded" message.

I've updated Windows, updated Tweaker, rebooted, followed every step in the Tweaker troubleshooting menu, turned on developer mode, disabled firewall and antivirus, rebooted 20x while trying the above steps, nothing has worked.

At this point I just want to use the Steam version. I've had a similar issue twice before but was able to resolve with the steps I listed above. Sadly I can't link to my Steam account unless I can at least launch the MS version of the game. Please help!

Would I be able to download the game on xbox, then link to a steam account after launching through xbox? I have plenty of space on my PC for a 2nd install, and space on xbox for a new install. I just need to be able to log in to the game to get an account link code.

if gameguard doesn't load, it means MS Store already deleted PSO2 and you have to do one of the reinstall / uninstall methods. This also means you likely didn't login as an admin account like the second page of the tweaker tutorial told you to do. (By default Windows 10's normal user accounts aren't admin accounts.) (UAC/run as admin doesn't work for this method.)

@Nigel-Tuffnel11 said in Game won't launch:

Would I be able to download the game on xbox, then link to a steam account after launching through xbox? I have plenty of space on my PC for a 2nd install, and space on xbox for a new install. I just need to be able to log in to the game to get an account link code.

Yes, you can get the link code from the XBox version (since it uses the same authentication as the MS Store version) to then link it to the Steam version.

PSO2 was indeed NOT listed in the apps list under my Microsoft Store account. Ca you please link me to an uninstall/reinstall method thread or walkthrough? I'll look through the forums also.

@AndrlCh Ok thank you, that might actually be the simplest way to make the transfer happen lol

@coldreactive Hmmm I always run tweaker as admin...I guess it's possible I just double clicked the launcher last night rather than right click --> run as admin

@Nigel-Tuffnel11 said in Game won't launch:

PSO2 was indeed NOT listed in the apps list under my Microsoft Store account. Ca you please link me to an uninstall/reinstall method thread or walkthrough? I'll look through the forums also.

You'll also need to remove PSO2 tweaker too on top of this:

1. Install 7-zip from https://www.7-zip.org/
  2. Run it as admin.
  3. While in 7-zip, go to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\MutableBackup and see if anything is in there. (Delete anything inside that folder with 7-zip.) If nothing is there, go to the next step.
  4. Close 7-zip and go to Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps, and delete the pso2_bin folder.
  5. Restart the computer.

Once you merge with steam, you don't technically need the PSO2 Tweaker, because the steam version is the same as the standalone PSO2JP version. It won't auto delete itself. (Just don't verify files via steam after installing. MMOs don't like that.)

@coldreactive Thank you very much. After your 5 steps I assume I would then need to redo the entire tweaker install process. I think it might be simpler to install on xbox and steam --> link to steam through xbox --> delete/uninstall PC MS version after steam version is up and running. I'm just worried I'd screw something up with a tweaker uninstall/reinstall

No, all you need to do is uninstall everything via MS Store / PSO2 Tweaker. Once those are uninstalled, just install via steam. Only open the PSo2 Launcher via steam and wait for it to patch before you get your Code from Xbox.

Uninstalling PSO2 Tweaker is painless and won't cause any issues. Just don't install any version of PSO2 before uninstalling PSO2 Tweaker.

@coldreactive Thank you! I really appreciate the help

For anyone interested, this worked when Game Guard was no longer launching (caused by MS store deleting PSO2 from my owned apps, due to not running Tweaker as admin, at least I assume that's what happened):

1. uninstall tweaker, and delete PSO2 files per method outlined above by the great, intelligent and handsome coldreactive
  2. install via xbox (you could alternatively reinstall to PC through MS store/tweaker). This is to get an account link code
  3. install via steam. Make sure steam install is complete and ready to go before requesting an account link code on xbox, since the codes only last 15 minutes. DO NOT GO BEYOND TITLE SCREEN on steam version until you have an account link code: if you create a new character and Authentication ID for steam you will never be able to link your existing MS account to steam.
  4. Launch xbox version and get account link code (after ship selection, go to "support menu" and choose the option to generate an account link code)
  5. Launch steam version and use account link code

Anyway most of that is common sense, but maybe it could help someone if they have the same issue and see this. Thanks again for the help.