Open Beta Length?

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Open Beta Length?:

The service should remain available until 30 days after the last available purchase of "premium".

Would be hard to imagine they would sell a service that wouldn't be available for the majority of the purchased time.

This is a VERY good point, unless there's a grace period where the Premium set remaining time is paused and carries over if there is a break between.

The service should remain available until 30 days after the last available purchase of "premium".

Would be hard to imagine they would sell a service that wouldn't be available for the majority of the purchased time.

Unless they turn off purchases 30 days before the open beta end date <:

But it'll be a soft launch for sure.

@Rantious said in Open Beta Length?:

Unless they turn off purchases 30 days before the open beta end date <:

But it'll be a soft launch for sure.

Also, I'm sure I read that any consumables on a timer, like the premium pass, the countdown to expiry pauses during maintenance, which will surely be the case in NA too.

To be honest, today, the word "beta" has lost all of it´s significance.

Back when i worked in the industry, beta tests were conducted by professional and semi-professional individuals who literally made their living doing Quality Assurance work, and they were paid for it.

Modern betas are nothing but either:

A) An excuse to launch a game while avoiding criticism for a poor launch or server performance, or unbalanced gameplay, because the game has not technically "launched" yet

B) An excuse to promote the game and keep it relevant in the media.

C) Both of the above.

An "Open Beta" is basically a launched and released game that has an excuse to perform poorly in any or all fashion.

@IfrianMMO said in Open Beta Length?:

To be honest, today, the word "beta" has lost all of it´s significance.

Back when i worked in the industry, beta tests were conducted by professional and semi-professional individuals who literally made their living doing Quality Assurance work, and they were paid for it.

Modern betas are nothing but either:

A) An excuse to launch a game while avoiding criticism for a poor launch or server performance, or unbalanced gameplay, because the game has not technically "launched" yet

B) An excuse to promote the game and keep it relevant in the media.

C) Both of the above.

An "Open Beta" is basically a launched and released game that has an excuse to perform poorly in any or all fashion.

They do still have Quality Assurance Testers, though. The only thing with Betas for MMO is for stress testing and getting feedback from those that will actually play it.

There is also the difference between external, and internal, beta testing. Usually the paid testers are on the internal beta, external betas usually go (used to) out to a small set of players, who are not usually given access to the full software, but given specific pieces to test, and report on. Importantly, a tester was expected to report what they did and how it worked, sometimes with canned questionnaires, other times just bug reports. Sometimes we even got cool swag, like t-shirts, but not paid.

@Seedenator the job postings I have seen related to testing video games these days are: "Quality Tester" and "Localization Tester".

At least the titles I saw for one of more popular localization studios.

How do I access the open beta?

@Blazingsonic-X said in Open Beta Length?:

How do I access the open beta?

You just download it on the Microsoft Store from XBOX One. Then, when the servers go live in just under 6 hours, you can play.