Is it okay to have 2 separate accounts?

So I felt like experiencing what life was like in another ship as well as be able to play with friends that joined said ship rather than the one I was in.

Since I didn't feel like purchasing another character slot (Lord knows I have 5 slots on Ship 3 alone), I made a second account so I could have someone on ship 2.

Is this okay to do or does it somehow violate the TOS? I probably should've wait to get this answered before going through with it but I want some clarification so I can have some piece of mind.

"I am too lazy to read a TOS so instead I ask the community"

Ask an innocent question...

as if anyone at MS would actually care about someone having 2 accounts. their ToS doesn't specifically say anything against multiple accounts, mainly that it's not allowed to use multiple instances of access at the same time.

even then, i hardly doubt that they will care enough.

but for your own interest https://pso2.com/terms-and-conditions

I know someone that has 3 accounts and they’ve never had an issue.

Yikes. Remind me to not make threads at 3 in the morning after taking my meds cause I legit don't remember making this thread at all.

Though after much deliberation and having a one sided conversation with my cat (who really couldn't care less on what I had to say) I've decided to just stick to my main account from now on. One is because I realized my friends on Ship 2 haven't played in weeks and went back to ffxiv. And secondly it would take too much effort to get my secondary up to snuff with my main account and I should be focusing on preparing for Episode 5, and not reliving the tedious experience of getting every class to level 75.

If given the chance though, I would get another character slot So I could remake my Ship 2 character on ship 3, so I guess something came out of this.

As long as you're not doing anything against the TOS with those two accounts, no problem at all. It's as though a husband and wife each had an account that uses the same IP address. No harm.

@GM-Deynger Some may think its obvious but it is not ive seen mmo's an other games were you will be banned if you do . Thanks for real ! this should honestly be sticked dude for ppl to see like common asked questions or something!

@GM-Deynger said in Is it okay to have 2 separate accounts?:

As long as you're not doing anything against the TOS with those two accounts, no problem at all. It's as though a husband and wife each had an account that uses the same IP address. No harm.

The TOS doesn't really cover possible abuses of multiple accounts, such as using 20 accounts in Use Group Chat campaigns to get 20 one-per-account unique items that sell for 5 million meseta each.

I wouldn't expect you to say that's okay, but on the other hand would it at least be acceptable to keep a second account inactive on purpose so we can protect ourselves from getting stung by unfair campaigns like the NGS Celebration cheating us out of the Operating Terminal emote?

@Master-Bulbs said in Is it okay to have 2 separate accounts?:

@GM-Deynger Some may think its obvious but it is not ive seen mmo's an other games were you will be banned if you do . Thanks for real ! this should honestly be sticked dude for ppl to see like common asked questions or something!

Those other games you refer to actually have a policy of no multi-clienting. That is running the game in multiple clients on the same computer at the same time. That is only used for botting, hence why it is prohibited.

@Ragnawind For reference, the correct term for this is multiboxing.

Pretty sure I've heard of some non-multiboxing multi-account stuff being disallowed. Though I can't name a specific example, for stuff like getting multiple one-time event rewards for profit it makes sense to not allow that.

@Ragnawind

Generally most developers have no issues with you multi-boxing, so long as you're not using a software or program to automate the process. That is, if you're multiboxing with two or more accounts, and using each account individually, then there's no problem with it (and it's no different, as Deynger said, then me hopping on my GF's account on WoW, PSO2, or XIV for whatever reason).

It's when you're using a software or program that copies keystrokes from one client to another, allowing you to control multiple characters on the same PC at the exact same time, that developers start to take issues.

@Miraglyth

I'd be curious to see what games not only disallowed this, but somehow made something that valuable not account or character bound in the first place. Otherwise, what you're saying is literally impossible to detect. I mean, how are you going to differentiate me funneling loot I get to my GF for the sake of helping her out, and me funneling loot from an alt account to my main account to gear up my Main. The key answer is - you can't. It's why developers don't take action in multiboxing cases like this - it's literally impossible to tell if something is legitimately gaming the system, or they're simply playing with a family member on the same IP address.

Most developer have also just circumvented this problem entirely by making loot bound to the character that picks it up in the first place.

@Blade-Syphon said in Is it okay to have 2 separate accounts?:

but somehow made something that valuable not account or character bound in the first place.

Erm... PSO2 already qualifies for this? 😅

Consider some events (most obviously bingo cards, but also ARKS Boost Rally drops) give everyone a set of rewards per character, but most are just one per account. Some of these are not tradable between accounts (like the two Battle Arena campaigns), but some are and they are often immediately valuable: The last "Use Group Chat" campaign effectively gives 10m per account for sending one chat message. The last "Complete Client Orders" campaign effectively gives 3-5m per account for doing one quest. The rewards from similar previous campaigns are now worth tens of millions.

Several campaigns lately have given a quest trigger so multiple accounts represent a reduction in sales of those triggers from Fresh Finds which is either ~1m meseta or 100~200 SG (semi-paid resource) per trigger. With all the SG login bonuses recently, multiple accounts would have been able to buy several UQ triggers with none of the effort of doing story quests while reducing spending on that SG.

Maybe that's not thought of as significant or exploitable enough to be worth disallowing? I don't know. It's a grey area. That's why I'm asking for GM word on it. I wouldn't have any plans to use multiple accounts for profit, I just want to protect my alliance from being hit by another Operating Terminal because "have a player in your alliance that hasn't played the game for a month come back" is a frankly unfair requirement and one I can sadly see happening again.

I do two accounts on most games of this kind I spend money on, usually playing one as full f2p with a single character while my main account can use paid features and more characters. I don't multi box. Instead I log into each account individually while the other is logged out. I used to do this so I could accurately answer questions from both f2p and paid game perspectives.