Episode 4 lore was honestly pure cringe

Alright, so I just gonna go on a little rant here.

It seems like they just wanted to have an excuse to put Earth as part of the PSO2 story, It's done just so terrible.

The episode 4 story feels so forced, I just dont know how to explain it where to begin. It feels disconnected from the main PSO2 lore about ARK's versus Dark falz/Falspawn and profound darkness, and they used that terrible Sword art Online sub-plot to make that connection between Earth and Ark's, which honestly just adds nothing to the PSO2 lore at all.

Beside that, one thing that annoyied me the most in episdoe 4 lore was pretty much those two, most regular looking school girls (Which are Hitsugi and Kohri) that suddenly pull out that deus ex-machinima bullshit and suddenly turn into warriors from the Japanese and Nordic myths, get a much better and cooler looking katana than mine, and save the day, It's just so pure bullshit I just can't. The entire episode 4 pretty much seems to revolve around those 2 school girl chicks and mother corps, where Arks are now nothing more but for a side-plot and my character is now some sort of sidekick filler, irrelevant to the story just so I will able to fight Phantasm Mobs.

I think the thing that annoyed me the most was the releationship between Hitsugi and Kohri, it is absolutely terribly unrealistic and poorly written. They made Kohri a generic edgy yandere character, while Hitsugi is your mary-sue, aka a female version of Kirito, not to mention the releationship between those 2 chicks is just borderline yuri romance.

If you want my opinion, I honestly think Episode 4 more as a fanfiction made by an edgy 16 years old white bisexual girl, like the lore and character writing in episode 4 is so bad it just perfectly reflects on this joke assumption.

That certainly is a take.

I think you'll love Episode 5.

Star Ocean 3 (Till the end of Time) would murder your like of Star Ocean as a series.

I honestly want to see a reverse isekai now after PSO2 Episode 4. (I've already seen "G.A.T.E." by the way.)

@Charus said in Episode 4 lore was honestly pure cringe:

It feels disconnected from the main PSO2 lore about ARK's versus Dark falz/Falspawn and profound darkness, and they used that terrible Sword art Online sub-plot to make that connection between Earth and Ark's, which honestly just adds nothing to the PSO2 lore at all.

I mentioned this earlier today somewhere else but do understand EP4 was essentially a new starting point devs wanted players defaulted to, when it first released you were defaulted to EP4 story until a certain point where you could pick EP1-3 if you wanted to. So of course they shifted to ignoring pretty much everything that happened earlier in the story for it for this horrible (it got better by the end compared to the start by a lot but still oof) story EP4 wanted to do. Plus don't forget the tie in anime.

@coldreactive said in Episode 4 lore was honestly pure cringe:

Star Ocean 3 (Till the end of Time) would murder your like of Star Ocean as a series.

I honestly want to see a reverse isekai now after PSO2 Episode 4. (I've already seen "G.A.T.E." by the way.)

Still though, G.A.T.E Anime has some decent writing into it actualy. The Anime was aware that Military forces actualy exist, so most of the charaters from earth we're actual military personel with combat experience gained by serving in the military and actualy given and entrusted real weapons to use, unlike in PSO2 Episode 4, where Hitsugi, a generic Anime school girl, suddenly pulling out Deus ex-machinima when she is literaly surrounded by Phatasm military tanks and helicopters, like real deadly military equipment which should have been killed her very quickly if it was realistic.

I know this is just a game afterall, but still where is the logic in all this? None of this makes any sense.

@Charus said in Episode 4 lore was honestly pure cringe:

@coldreactive said in Episode 4 lore was honestly pure cringe:

Still though, G.A.T.E Anime has some decent writing into it actualy. The Anime was aware that Military forces actualy exist, so most of the charaters from earth we're actual military personel with combat experience gained by serving in the military and actualy given and entrusted real weapons to use, unlike in PSO2 Episode 4, where Hitsugi, a generic Anime school girl, suddenly pulling out Deus ex-machinima when she is literaly surrounded by Phatasm military tanks and helicopters, like real deadly military equipment which should have been killed her very quickly if it was realistic.

I know this is just a game afterall, but still where is the logic in all this? None of this makes any sense.

It's possible for the tanks to produce ICBMs by the way. I haven't had one actually hit me, but I had one rocket into the air as I killed the tank that used it. But I'd think those would kill even us as trained military personnel. Considering they're like, 2-3 stories tall.

is that Episode 4 is related to facts that happens in the animation of Phantasy Star Online not the Oracle animation and followed things from there like Mother Corps that does exist in that animation and even details that weren't explained in Episode 4 are explained in that animation.

oh and btw Hitsugi will continue to appear in Episode 5 and 6

@Jamesmor said in Episode 4 lore was honestly pure cringe:

oh and btw Hitsugi will continue to appear in Episode 5 and 6

In before her spirit comes in NGS as some sort of navi-like thing that follows us around.

Yeah I'm not gonna lie: this was the weakest entry in the game for a good reason. This isn't the first Phantasy Star to feature Earth as a plot point but the way they did it here was just so out of left field that it felt like a Sega Exec meddled with the dev team because they wanted to capitalize on the Isekai obsession in Japan.

Personally, I would have it turn out that what was first thought to be the Earth dimension was actually the distant past. That after Mother died, the resulting backlash eventually rendered the planet uninhabitable, forcing humans to abandon aether on an interstellar exodus where they encountered Xion. In other words, it turns out that Earth was the homeworld of the Photoners. It would add an extra layer of irony to Mother's revenge crusade because it turns out that she had a hand in creating her reviled creators.

@RedDingo7777 is not that, like I said the focus in this episode was the animation of Phantasy Star Online, they did focus in the elements they used in that animation is just that when they decided to explore the Mother Corps and explain of those powers that they have that the story becomes weird

@Jamesmor Still does not change the fact that the implementation of the entire lore was terrible. At first I thought that the oracle and ARK's we're actualy originated from earth, but instead we got this really cheap reverse-isekai of Sword art online imitation where earth is alternative dimension nonsense, and as you described, it just looks really weird and out of place with how the lore handles it, not to mention how wacky and funny the phatasm NPC enemies look like compared to the Darkfalz/Falspawn Enemies found in previous episodes, like totaly ruins the seriousness and immersion of the plot continiouty.

The could atleast made the lore something like the ARK's we're joining forces with the Military of earth to fight phantasms, but meh, instead they decided to implement this overused generic School girl edge-machinica cliche pulling off 'Kirito' plot-twists.

The worst part was the start with the slice of life nonsense, yes this is exactly why I played Phantasy Star games for and certainly not some attempt to appeal to a different kind of audience completely.

I think so far the worst part of the Episode 4 plot is Phaleg Ives. As far as I'm concerned, she supposed to represent Eve from the bible. In the bible so far, she is created out of adam by God himself, she is like supposed to represent the model concept of feminity in the bible. Later on the bible she gave birth to 2 sons (Cain and abel) and raise them together with adam (As she was pregenant by him) as a punishment for eating the apple from the tree by God himself and kicked out of the garden.

But PSO2, they made Eve from the bible represented as this annoying and forced ass-kicking badass girl trope for the sake of ass kicking, and her existence only revolves around that. The plot does not even bother to explain how did she gain those Super-human ninja fighting skills capable of beating entire armies with ease. Not only it is completely bullshit and entirely unauthentic to the bible it'self, her being a super-overpowered challenge opponent at the end is her entire justification of existence in the episode 4 PSO2 lore. This entire thing feels like SEGA is just forcing super strong female character into the game.

Just note: I have nothing against strong female characters in Anime or Games, I just hate horseshit lore writing that is episode 4, and how extremely wacky and oversaturated it is.

well they could had focused in the story of the animation but they dumped the 2 main characters there to bring something different, doesn't help that they cut some scenes to the global version the bath scenes that envolves some character development making things even more weird

@Jamesmor said in Episode 4 lore was honestly pure cringe:

the bath scenes

Ha-hahahahaha-hah, okay that was legit funny