Microsoft's cash-grabbing is scummy, and I won't support it.

Yes, I just genuinely hope that PC and Xbox Users will benefit from this regardless. Bickering within ourselves only makes us resent each other.

Its normally the other way around. The second anything happens on consoles before PC the PC community go ape shit. "we've been screwed over again! F u guys!" erm k

@Geordie-P said in Microsoft's cash-grabbing is scummy, and I won't support it.:

Its normally the other way around. The second anything happens on consoles before PC the PC community go ape shit. "we've been screwed over again! F u guys!" erm k

Which for some reason they never understand, it's all money. Console spends more.

Just to play devil's advocate (dependent on the viewer's personal stance) the advertisement up until very, very recently was handled exclusively by Microsoft (E3 first, insider second) and made visible by Microsoft's high profile Twitter accounts.

Sega hasn't done much in terms of visibility. Hell, the Sega of America website still doesn't even have this listed as an "Upcoming game".

Early access for XBOX for what is currently still just considered a "cult classic" isn't very scummy. Almost everyone has access to the Windows store (and the xbox application that i as available on it) whereas not everyone has Nintendo or Playstation.

In terms of visibility and converting it from a "cult classic", Microsoft is 10000% the top choice and a no-brainer. Free advertisement and market growth (and probably uber discounted Azure services) in exchange for a time-limited access? You would have to be an idiot to pass up that opportunity.

@Clain said in Microsoft's cash-grabbing is scummy, and I won't support it.:

I think there is one easy solution to all this, just don't play until it comes to PC

It's this for sure, but some people insist on also whining the entire time. All of these people are going to end up playing on Xbox One in the mean time anyways lol.

@omgitsbees I wish people could just get over this, it seems like such a petty thing to be upset about right now. The game doesn't really need a beta for PC, it's been on PC. What hasn't it been on? Xbox. Though I could be wrong about it not needing a beta for PC but, isn't PC release soon anyway?

I hope that for at least those who have Xbox but are upset about PC still try to play the game for the meantime. It's really fun and be cool to make friends and everything 🙂

@Clain said in Microsoft's cash-grabbing is scummy, and I won't support it.:

@omgitsbees I wish people could just get over this, it seems like such a petty thing to be upset about right now. The game doesn't really need a beta for PC, it's been on PC. What hasn't it been on? Xbox. Though I could be wrong about it not needing a beta for PC but, isn't PC release soon anyway?

I hope that for at least those who have Xbox but are upset about PC still try to play the game for the meantime. It's really fun and be cool to make friends and everything 🙂

The PC will still need a beta to determine if crossplay is working as intended. It will likely just be a short test before official launch, though, since that should be all that would need tested.

@Clain , I do understand a bit why many players are frustrated as unlike other instances of players demanding a PC port of SEGA games (look at the Yakuza series), this is a game that was made first on PC. I suppose the Beta rewards were insult to injury to some as we are still unaware of whether those items would be given another chance to be distributed or if there would be players willing to sell those on the market.

That said I do think people thinking that the PC version would mishandled may be taking things a bit far... aside from PC launching later I don't see how things would be different between Xbox One and PC given that the game's cross platform by design; patches and updates would arrive on both platforms at the same time and the content between PC and Xbox One would remain the same. Furthermore, we do know that content is gated and this includes the level caps (which are back to level 75), so while Xbox One players do get a headstart, PC players would still get a chance to catch up before SEGA decides to increase the level cap or make more content available.

I do also believe shifting blame on Microsoft is misblaming on the same levels as blaming SEGA of America for PSU's failure. Not only has Microsoft being more open to other platforms but they had stated repeatedly that they have little say on what goes on with the game. SEGA of Japan is the one who developed the Xbox One port, for one reason or another they feel its necessary that the Beta be exclusive to Xbox One... most likely since they want that release going smoothly before they let the PC version be able to interact with it.

@Leonkh99 I could totally understand being upset about the beta rewards so I do hope something happens with that.

@God said in Microsoft's cash-grabbing is scummy, and I won't support it.:

I'm telling you it's worth the wait (From playing the japanese PC version). Also none of the Open/closed beta progress is saved so you won't be behind anyone once it official release comes. It's a bit weird that beta is on a console instead of pc but it is what it is, what about the hundred other games that pc gamers get betas of and console gamers have to wait? It's going to be okay.

@Moonsae but the progress is saved. Your character won't be reset.

@Neviel That's dumb. At this point I agree. Personally idrlc that people are getting levels/progress ahead of me. BUT the majority of people especially in online mmorpgs do, so the frustration is understandable at this point. What a big mistake if that's true...

@Moonsae said in Microsoft's cash-grabbing is scummy, and I won't support it.:

what about the hundred other games that pc gamers get betas of and console gamers have to wait?

This is mainly an issue of when the game was originally developed. A lot of games use suites like Unreal Engine or CryENGINE, which both are PC-native, and are developed on PC. Though some studios decide to put these games straight to console instead (See: Kingdom Hearts 3, which is Unreal Engine.) But Unreal Engine has evolved a lot over the years, and has native controller support. Some developers / companies are just better suited to develop for PC as well.

I'll say this now, but Final Fantasy XI was actually made specifically for controller, and not keyboard/mouse. This is why it's awkward to control even to this day. (IE: Camera is still easier to control with keyboard than it is with the mouse.) But back then, we didn't realize what we could do with MMOs. Hotbars weren't really a big trend back then. Instead relying on complex HUDs / UIs like Runescape Classic, Everquest, etc. along with "Click to Move." (The most recent MMOs that still use Click to Move include Path of Exile and Angels Online.)

@Moonsae getting ahead in this game, which is completely PvE, isn't very significant. I feel like the game is going to remain in the current state of only having up to Episode 3 until it is released on more platforms.

The larger concern is the game economy and AC items that are released before it is open to everyone else. If the AC items are more Microsoft exclusive style collabs, no big deal, but other AC items coming and going could be an issue. Especially the Ragol memories. Guess we just gotta wait and see.