Why no UK release

Why is this game not coming to UK

PSO2 NA doesn't have region lock. Anyone from any country can play in it.

I wouldn't rule out a UK release just yet... I have seen instances of games having an EU launch many months later. Given that:

• The Community Team don't talk about anything that will happen AFTER the Beta.
  • The game is compliant with EU privacy laws.

I do think an EU 'launch' is still on the tables but there's no announcement just yet. As for "why", I personally believe that SEGA's right now trying to focus on getting the game out at all and focusing their resources on the North American version. Once things are working as intended, the game's proven to be popular, etc, they may then market the game in Europe and make it available on the Microsoft Store and Steam on that region.

That said, keep in mind that this isn't a physical game which requires you import it from another country. Although "Service Availability" is limited to US and Canada, there really is nothing stopping anyone from outside North America to play on it (its not even against the Terms of Service unlike the Japanese version). An EU 'release' could maybe just end up being the same NA version with the same servers (EU hosted selectable Ships would be a nice bonus).

It's because of EU laws on monetising addiction, i.e gambling with real world money within video games and while the law specifically mentions games targeted at minors publishers can still be held to account if minors in said game are found to be using these mechanics. This is why the EU and UK were specifically not part of the official release.

Unfortunately thats not entirely correct @Kedlin313 , and it really oversimplifies what the lootbox laws are. As I write in another post:

First off, its not a region-wide ban but rather specific countries who have banned lootboxes. Second off, most lootbox regulations (or proposed regulations) such as in UK, France and Germany are aimed at games being sold at minors... PSO2 has an M rating and would most likely have gotten a high PEGI rating as well so its not a game directed at minors nor would it be advertised at minors. Furthermore, you need to understand that SEGA Europe handles releases not just within Europe but EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa) and Oceania (Australia and New Zealand). If the issue were the lootbox ban, the game would simply not be available to download from those countries' digital storefront and you still have a large number of countries that don't have such a ban; UK, France, Germany, Spain, Australia, New Zealand.

@Kedlin313 said in Why no UK release:

It's because of EU laws on monetising addiction, i.e gambling with real world money within video games and while the law specifically mentions games targeted at minors publishers can still be held to account if minors in said game are found to be using these mechanics. This is why the EU and UK were specifically not part of the official release.

Lmao do you have a source for that outlandishness?

@Rantious it was bandied about by various sources around E3 last year. There's many sources and articles about loot box style micro transactions and how they are limited within the EU.

Here's one example. https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-49674333

There would have to be loads of changes to how gambling with arks cash works within the game before it could be brought to European markets.

Another reason that was widely insinuated was language and localisation issues that come from translating said content into multiple European languages.

@Kedlin313 well sure, lootbox changes/crackdowns are widely covered in the media, obviously. But the logical leap I'm looking for support of is that BECAUSE of those changes, Segac evaluated the situation and said, "No thanks" to an EU release.

This one reason why games should not have micro transactions or Lootboxes.

@Goggs25 True ... but hold your breath to see if they reverse course on this game... 8 years after the fact.

I can only give my experience but i used to play a gacha game up to recently when i heard it's closing,( was playing F2p) but like around a year ago Switzerland enforced a law and the players of that country couldn't access the game anymore, but not my country so i don't know actually if this game could even release in Europe but it just might be able to , i just don't think it's going to happen.