"In-Game Suggestions" Moderation

Hey there. I've noticed that threads posted to In-Game Suggestions containing controversial topics have a habit of exploding in page count over time, due to being derailed by discussions and arguments, and that the topic at hand ultimately becomes lost. Some of these threads continue to do this even if a GM has already suggested to pass their idea along.

I feel like these threads would be better off locked over time (if a GM has already noted the suggestion and passed it along), or moved to a more suitable sub-forum like General Discussion. Otherwise they stay at the top of In-Game Suggestions while pulling focus away from other threads and offering no new suggestions.

I understand that discussion is important and that the GMs like to see all feedback, but I think that can be done without allowing threads to stay in the wrong place.

I disagree with locking, them staying at the top is a sign that people still care about these topics. New people could come to these forums and these threads can inform them of the topic. The censorship issue for example, often requires someone learning that censorship exists in the game to begin with before they can comment on it. A thread should not be locked because it continues to be an issue; locking them would be like declaring them to be non-issues.

With the uniqueness rule in regards to similar threads, locking would essentially silence support for the suggestion.

I agree with many of the points both of the posters above made. I truly just think more moderation of these threads could be good.

One of the big values of a forum as opposed to a chatroom is the ability to have long running discussion about a topic, that can be referenced at a later date. In the current state these controversial threads are just not making it to that point.

@Moei I think discussion is very valuable, but they too often drift into other topics or turn into arguments or smack talk sessions. At that point, a lock is best imo. But if the threads can be saved, moving them to GD would allow them to be more visible from a conversational standpoint and would allow IGS to be centered around new suggestions instead of being a hangout.

But ultimately, more moderation would be nice, I agree.

@ApollosAmour The question is if we are allowed to make another thread on a locked topic or not. If we aren't, it means that a locked thread becomes a silenced thread. It can make it easier to silence certain topics.

If these threads are bothering you, you can just ignore them via the forum feature. There is no reason to move or lock them. Also, if these threads derail it is only because of certain users insulting or accusing other users, or making assumptions about non-existent things. The topic is very important, even outside the forum, plus many people come here to read the Archetype Luna thread, as it just happened a while ago. Really, there's no reason to lock it. It would be like censoring users' freedom of speech as well.

@Emmerson-T-Kenny I could, yes, but it doesn't change the fact that the threads reach a point where they outgrow the sub-forum and no longer belong. Ignoring that will only allow it to continue. Also remember that the more users ignore these topics, the less relevant they become.

Regardless of how or why they derail, a thread that is more about discussing a range of topics rather than showing support or criticism of the OP (especially when it becomes hostile) is better suited for General Discussion. Not only is it the proper place for those topics to go over time, it's more active and can garner more discussion.

That way too, when a new idea does come along, it can be posted to In-Game Suggestions, garner feedback from other users, be recognized and sent along by a GM, and fall off the page without becoming another hangout. It's the natural flow of a sub-forum like that, or like this one.

@ApollosAmour If the moderators believe these threads need to be locked, then they will. Indeed, since this situation has been going on for some time, don't you think they would have already found a solution? But no, the situation remains unchanged, it means that they are fine with it, after all it is only a problem of the individual user, not of the forum in general. For this reason there is the function of "ignore" the thread. Eventually everyone will ignore the thread, no problem.

Also remember that the more users ignore these topics, the less relevant they become.

That's good. What's the problem here?

Regardless of how or why they derail, a thread that is more about discussing a range of topics rather than showing support or criticism of the OP (especially when it becomes hostile) is better suited for General Discussion. Not only is it the proper place for those topics to go over time, it's more active and can garner more discussion.

Not necessarily. Creating a thread on in-game suggestion serves to give suggestions to the developers, and this is what the OP does, others can very well support those ideas, the important thing is that you stay on the subject. So the dishonest who purposely try to destroy these threads should be banned, as has already happened several times.

That way too, when a new idea does come along, it can be posted to In-Game Suggestions, garner feedback from other users, be recognized and sent along by a GM, and fall off the page without becoming another hangout. It's the natural flow of a sub-forum like that, or like this one.

I don't question the fact that creating a generic censorship thread in "General Discussion" can definitely help. I hope someone does, I don't want to. Having threads in both General Discussion and In-Game Suggestions would be ideal.

Thanks for your help!

@Emmerson-T-Kenny They were made before and were locked and deleted due to heated arguments.

@Emmerson-T-Kenny Right, the mods are ultimately the ones to take action. And I hope my thread helps with that process.

I don't think locking these threads will change much of anything as evident by the ones that did get locked in the past. Once one is locked two more will take its place. It is a thread hydra, and the best course of action ,I feel, is to leave them alone and don't interact with them. Or as I've told some of the users that got banned from the forums, "Don't touch the poop."

@Combat-Lobster Unfortunately, yeah. I hope at least one big thread in GD would help contain things, but time will tell.

Not to bump my own topic, but I'm wondering if this is the result of a general lack of moderator activity lately. They seem AWOL.

Going to necro this (especially since this section is dead as hell) and say that it's likely they really only respond when they get a certain amount of reports. Beyond that we can really only speculate.

Also hi, I guess that IP ban mentioned by DM Geynger wasn't one? I actually tried reaching out to them by DM and didn't get a response about it. Honestly I actually DM'd them to ask if they could perma ban my forums account, since lord knows how bad these forums are for your mental health, but its been a few weeks now I think? Pretty sure at this point it's an intern they have moderating this place in addition to multiple other duties + poor tools for actually doing their job (this is especially evident for ingame GM's/support ticket GM's which apparently can't take action on someone spamming hentai SA's without a screenshot of them doing it and chatlogs?).

Anywho, if a couple of certain posters are still active, I'm willing to bet I get rebanned with my last couple of posts deleted and a comment in said threads due to 'multiple reports' 😉

@IAMCRAIG said in "In-Game Suggestions" Moderation:

Pretty sure at this point it's an intern they have moderating this place in addition to multiple other duties + poor tools for actually doing their job (this is especially evident for ingame GM's/support ticket GM's which apparently can't take action on someone spamming hentai SA's without a screenshot of them doing it and chatlogs?).

I'm sure it's just like most game forums: they don't get paid enough, or don't get paid at all, so why bother doing their job? Need to be something obviously detrimental to the company image to bother. I have never played an MMO where they actually kick any bots or AFKers, and i'm certain PSO2 is no different. Sure they show some numbers, but since they don't actually put any effort in removing them for good, you can just ignore it.

In fact, i encourage anyone and everyone to stop reporting people for anything. When the game is nothing but a-holes and bots, maybe the developers pull their thumb out their asses. Unlikely, i know, but it's possible i guess... Oh, who am i kidding?!