Hitboxes and iFrames.. say whut..?! ;0

HEeh, so after much forum perusal and searching for various phrasings of the terms hitbox and iframe I can't narrow down precisely enough what each of these terms mean. So far as I have determined it is as follows.

• Hitbox - One or more areas on a monster that you can hit for damage period. Not necessarily the same as a weak point. But that a weak point would also be a hitbox.

• iFrame - This is the more elusive for me. Best I've come up with is it has to do with how many attacks you can get in a fixed timeframe? Based on various daftness in PA (Photon Art) usage etc.

Any clarification/expansion of these would be much appreciated. Certainly by others whom don't want or aren't ready to admit their gaming knowledge deficiencies. I say that generically vs saying PSO2 NA as Hitboxes and iFrames are probably universal across most/all games. Something the game devs have to build and put into games.

Thank you!

o/ =^.^=

Iframe = Invulnerability Frames

Basically dodging amd some attacks (especially on Jetboot Switch PAs) will make you invulnerable to damage for a short amount of time measured in frames.

Hitbox = Anything that deals damage to you and anything you deal damage to utilizes a Hitbox and a corresponding Hurtbox to determine if it is a hit or a miss.

As an example Swords have a big gurtbox and can easily hit multiple enemies, Knuckles have a small hurtbox and usually only hit one.

Another Example: When Deus Esca sweeps his Sword across the Arena the Sword is basically just window dressing the actual thing mg that determines if you are hit or not is the swords hurtbix and if it intersects with your characters hitbox.

Final Example: Using Deus Esca again. Only Certain parts of him are vulnerable to damage. These Parts have a Hitbox while the other parts do not. Attacks against them are simply not registered because your weapons Hurtbox doesn't have a corresponding Hitbox to intersect.

Edit: Changed some mentions of Hitbox to Hurtbox. Thank you for reminding me of the term @Rawrs1865

Hitboxes are moves that are being thrown out and collide with hurtboxes. If a hitbox hits a hurtbox it does damage. It might be easier to see a picture of it so here is one of streetfighter.

https://www.subpixel.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Ryu-HurtboxHitbox.png

You will see that the kick is the hitbox and his own body is a hurtbox.

I-frames can be used to dodge hitboxes as the_flail already mentioned they are "frames" in which you are "invulnerable" so you take no damage, no knockback no anything it will just be as the hitbox never even hit you (it did but as you are invulnerable it will do nothing).

Now some moves can have lingering hitboxes or the moves drags the hitbox along for that long that it might be difficult to actually use i-frames against them depending on how long your i-frame is. A good example of a very long i-frame is the bouncers backwards dash that is done by doing wave dash and then using the weapon action.

It's a huge i-frame which will pretty much let you dodge anything the game can throw at you.

Edit: This video is about brawlhalla and some of the weird hitboxes that game has, but it shows fairly well what hitboxes are. The yellow circle around the characters are the hurtboxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGFPuJvaJpU

iframes is refering to invulnerability or invincibility frames, is the frames you won't take any kind of damage or can't be knocked out

hitbox is the area of damage is divided into 2 types, hitbox of enemies and hurtbox that is the area you can take damage in PSO2 hitboxes works differently than most games because enemies do have hitboxes in their weak points and hitboxes in their entire body

iFrames = Period of time in which you can't take damage. Hitbox = Real size of impact detection zone for a thing.

HEeh, kinda makes me wonder why "WeakBox" isn't a thing. But that might be considered parlance "weak sauce" in programmer/dev circles. HEhe.. 😸

Thank you all for those splanations. I was kinda on the right track but also not in such a way I'd have arrived at those clarifications on my own.

Thank you. Thank you.

o/ =^.^=

Wow. Talk about semantic snarls.

A hitbox is the term given to the defined area of a game model that designates the space of a entity, element, etc.

A hurtbox is the term given to one or more sub-areas within a hitbox that are defined as targets for purposes of combat.

You can have more than one (or more than one type) of hurtbox for specific types of attacks (or combat at all).

An NPC has a hitbox, but not a hurtbox.

A mob/creep/monster/boss has a hitbox and at least one hurtbox (usually several).

A hitbox is always present, as it also interacts with things like positioning, occlusion, line of sight, etc.

A hurtbox is usually only present (or enabled) when combat is possible or occurring.

In this image, green outlines the HITbox, yellow outlines the HURTbox and red outlines a target area for some manner of special attack (i.e., advantage strike, opportunity, etc).

alt text

Hope this helps!

I wouldn't describe iframes as not taking damage. When your iframes are up you can't be hit.

This is an important distinction because getting hit for 0 damage would mean you could be knocked down, stunned, grabbed, given a status and so on.

Moreover, some enemy actions don't do damage and iframes still prevent those. You can iframe through Luther's time stop for instance.

@Ekajata I'm pretty sure the yellow isn't hurtboxes, unless Street Fighter has gone completely insane. If the yellow is hurtboxes then that means that the empty space in front of Ken's hand is a valid target to attack while his entire lead leg isn't. It's also not contained within the green, meaning it breaks your definition of a hurtbox being a sub-category of a hitbox. I think it's more likely that green is hurtboxes (damageable areas) and that the red is a hitbox (effective area of an attack). The blue appears to denote character locations, but I really have no idea what the yellow is.

@AiC-L said in Hitboxes and iFrames.. say whut..?! ;0:

@Ekajata I'm pretty sure the yellow isn't hurtboxes, unless Street Fighter has gone completely insane. If the yellow is hurtboxes then that means that the empty space in front of Ken's hand is a valid target to attack while his entire lead leg isn't. It's also not contained within the green, meaning it breaks your definition of a hurtbox being a sub-category of a hitbox. I think it's more likely that green is hurtboxes (damageable areas) and that the red is a hitbox (effective area of an attack). The blue appears to denote character locations, but I really have no idea what the yellow is.

Any contact between players in the yellow areas is a hit.

Any contact between players in the red area is a special/critical.

Any contact between players in the green general area may or may not be a hit (RNG).

@Ekajata RNG? Crits? Now I know you're just messing with me.

@Ekajata RNG? Crits? Now I know you're just messing with me.

Nah, I don't waste my time on trolls. That's why you'll be talking to yourself when you're replying to me from here on.

/salute

Found it. Red is damaging hitboxes, green outline is hurtboxes, yellow is block proximity, blue is grab hurtbox. If yellow overlaps yellow the character goes into a blocking animation.

I think he's right about the terminology though. I've seen people use hitbox different why talking about collision from an object interaction standpoint compared to a gameplay attack range perspective.

Found it. Red is damaging hitboxes, green outline is hurtboxes, yellow is block proximity, blue is grab hurtbox. If yellow overlaps yellow the character goes into a blocking animation.

I think he's right about the terminology though. I've seen people use hitbox different why talking about collision from an object interaction standpoint compared to a gameplay attack range perspective.

Today, we demonstrated the one truth about the internet: All you need to do to get a correct answer is post one you know is incorrect and wait for the spitballers to show up. /bow