Having a hard time understanding augments, so -

I've read guides, dabbled a little, watched videos, dabbled a little, read more guides, watched more videos, and...

The fact is, I just don't get it. I really don't. I tried, but there's some key "Ah-HA!" thing that is preventing it from clicking in my idiot brain.

So, I thought I'd try again, right here, like this:

What is the FIRST, ABSOLUTELY MOST BASIC step in augmenting gear? Talk to me like I'm a toddler. Don't use common affixing jargon, as that isn't going to help me if I don't know what you're talking about in the first place. Don't say "just use simulator!" because that's like giving me the blueprints for a spaceship and I've never even studied rocket science in the first place.

Thanks!

first step is find augments you want to use and keep several weapons/units that have that augment, for weapons focus in augments at focus the main damage type of the class and for units you can choose if you want to use for a certain type of damage or make all rounded to use with all classes

Step 1: Choose a soul. If you are affixing a weapon, I recommend to get the astral soul. You can get the astral soul by grinding a ray weapon to +35. If you are affixing a unit, consider the Alles Di soul. You are going to need two units for that. One with an eastern/escarde/ other episode 4 soul, another one with an endboss soul of an exploration quest (quartz, varder, snow etc). These two can be combined into an Alles Di Soul.

Step 2: Choose an addon. These can be bought from players or acquired from scratches. You can go for hp, attack, or pp augments. Depending on their perceived worth they can be between 20k and 70 mil. But their actual benefits aren't that big in difference between eachother. If you are lazy or broke you can just use the one you get from the mission pass

Step 3: Upslot. If your weapon/unit doesn't have many slots already then it's time to upslot. Get 2 items with the same/higher amount of slots that have lower level augments and combine them with your weapon/unit. Make sure to use a cheap 30% bonus you can get out of the ex-cube shop and augment them together. Choose the 100% augments until you hit the maximum amount of possible augments on your item, then use the cheap 30% bonus and get more slots. Do this until you reach the same amount of slots as the lowest fodder you are gonna use. For units I recommend atleast 4 slots, for weapons I recommend atleast 6 slots.

Step 4: Get other stat fodders (equipment with stats you desire on your target). You can gun for precision/might/casting III depending on your class. Getting spirit III along with it is also recommended. If you end up with only one of them it will be a 60% chance to carry over which you can heighten with a +40% (100 ex-cubes in the ex-cube shop) to a guarantee. remember that the fodders need to have the same amount or higher amount of slots than the product. And you can only use a maximum of 5 at a time on your desired piece of equipment. So be smart about it.

You can also try to get Stigma or mastery III, this requires 3 pieces to have it on itself for a 50(+40)% chance.

There ya go, you just did your first real augment.

the most basic of the basics: You combine an item(weapon/unit) with multiple junk/"fodder" item(weap for weaps, units for units) to move the affixes from the fodder weapon to the main item + destroy the fodders in the process. Usually, this requires multiple fodder items with the same affix on them. When you go to affix the item, you get a list that tells you what abilities you can choose from the total pool of affixes on your fodders/main item to be your new item's affixes (and what % chance of success they have) and you can choose what you want to transfer. Certain abilities rather than just being transferrable, can upgrade into new abilities, but that's getting into the more complex stuff. Also note that in the case of failures, you can very well turn your (for example) 4-affix weapon into a 3-affix weapon, if only 3 abilities successfully affixed.

When affixing, you can only choose fodder items that have equal or more slots than your main item, so if you have a 4-slot weapon and want to change its augments, your fodders will all need to be 4+ slots. Slots just being the # of affixes it has on it, the x# thing you see on a weapon's listing in your inventory/on the market/etc.

To that point, you might think "but how do I ever get more slots then"? The answer to that is that when you're choosing your augments you want to transfer, you can choose one extra affix more than your # of slots. So on that 4-slot weapon I mentioned above, I can choose 5 abilities in the list, and if all of them succeed, the weapon will now have 5 affixes. Note that "upslotting" like this gives a % success penalty, which increases the higher you're going (upslotting 2->3 is easy, 4->5 is less so).

There are also support items you can buy from the player shops that let you add an affix into the pool of available affixes while affixing.

The above posts give good suggestions on the types of affixes you'll want to try to put on your gear, once you feel like you know enough to tinker around in a simulator.

Also worth mentioning is the ability transfer passes that exist in the swap shop now (in exchange for class excubes). You can use those to move an entire set of affixes directly from a unit/weapon onto another unit/weapon without having to worry about how to do the affix dance for it, so once you get one weapon you like, when you upgrade it you can just move the affixes over. The old item will lose all the affixes, though, and the receiving item still needs a # of affix slots enough to hold the augments you want to move over.

@ViolaCrossfire said in Having a hard time understanding augments, so -:

Step 3: Upslot. If your weapon/unit doesn't have many slots already then it's time to upslot. Get 2 items with the same/higher amount of slots that have lower level augments and combine them with your weapon/unit. Make sure to use a cheap 30% bonus you can get out of the ex-cube shop and augment them together. Choose the 100% augments until you hit the maximum amount of possible augments on your item, then use the cheap 30% bonus and get more slots. Do this until you reach the same amount of slots as the lowest fodder you are gonna use. For units I recommend atleast 4 slots, for weapons I recommend atleast 6 slots.

You only need to use a single fodder item you have enough 100% augments across it and your base. After the first upslot that means you only need one new augment each time.

@AiC-L I normally use two fodders because fodders are cheap and so is the cost of using only two fodders. The amount of viable augments is also increased.

Upslotting is a pain... I would usually use junk augmented weapons that have Might I, Casting I, Stamina I, Reflex I, etc.. which all give a 100% chance unless upslotting. The chances of upslotting get worse as the weapon/unit have more slots. If it's 3 to 4 slot, it's 70% across the board, and you can easily use a 30% affix boost to guarantee it, which only cost 20 Ex-cubes each. 4 to 5 slot gets a bit trickier as the chance goes down to 60% for each unless you use a 30% boost item. It would look like this: (this assumes at least 2 fodder weapons/units are used)

Might I   - 90%
Stamina I - 90%
Reflex I  - 90%
Casting I - 90%
Spirit I  - 90%

This does not mean the chance of this succeeding will be 90%, since it's possible to fail ALL of these, and the weapon/unit will be back to 0 slots. For each augment that fails to affix, the weapon/unit loses a slot. So this is why it's recommended, if you're upslotting, to use simple augments.

Anyways, a decent enough augment for a melee weapon would look something like this:

Acto Di Soul (Melee +35, PP +3)
Noble Might  (Melee +30, PP +3)
ARKS MAX     (Melee +25, Ranged +25, Technique +25)
Might III    (Melee +30)
Spirit III   (PP +4)

This is made with the following fodder pieces: (Note, each fodder has minimum 5 slots)

• Escarde Soul
  • Quartz Soul
  • Arks Fever (need 3)
  • Might III
  • Spirit III

Also, one additional item: Affix Augment (Melee & PP)

You may need to combine some things. Your fodder weapon with Escarde Soul may already have a Might III, and they're rather inexpensive. You can try affixing an Arks Fever with Spirit III, and you can use 30% boost items if necessary, though I'd also recommend using 2 Spirit III fodder in the mix to guarantee the chance of Spirit III succeeding with 30% boost.

So, if your base weapon has basic (junk) augments on it, then don't worry too much... Each of the augments shouldn't be too hard to affix except for ARKS MAX, which only show a 60% chance at succeeding. You may need to use a 40% boost item in these cases if you want to guarantee success (100 Ex-cubes). When a fodder with Quartz Soul is used, it gives an affix boost towards Might III and Spirit III to make it easier to affix those. When any Episode 4 soul augment (Escarde, Eastern, Fullvegas) is used on any (large) Free Field boss soul, you get the options to choose Alles Di Soul, Acto Di Soul, Tir Di Soul, and Magi Di Soul.

All that's left is selecting your 5 slot base weapon that you want to affix augments to, and select all of your fodder pieces. After all the fodder is picked, it'll ask if you want to use an additional item, and you'll want to pick the (Might & PP) item. Also note that the more fodder that's in the pool (max 5), the greater the cost will be. Choose the augments I mentioned earlier, which were Acto Di Soul, Noble Might, ARKS MAX, Might III, and Spirit III. If you use a 40% boost item with that, your success is guaranteed (otherwise, a 30% boost only makes ARKS MAX 90% success rate, and failing that is utterly painful), and now your melee weapon will have +120 Melee Power, and +10 PP. This whole process can cost anywhere from 8 million meseta to 12 million meseta depending on the market prices. The most expensive would be the "Affix Augment (Melee & PP)" and the "Arks Fever" fodder.

If you're looking for something a bit easier and more cost efficient, I may recommend 4 slots:

Acto Di Soul (Melee +35, PP +3)
Might Boost  (Melee +25)
Might III    (Melee +30)
Spirit III   (PP +4)

The item for Might Boost, Affix Augment (Melee), is rather cheap. You would only need 4 slots (minimum) of the fodder I mentioned for the other build, but you wont need Arks Fever for this. This build only adds +90 Melee Power, and +7 PP, but it's still better than nothing. I'd recommend this more for units, as augment prices for units are usually higher than weapons. If you want more HP, I'd recommend Alles Di Soul instead of Acto, and swapping out Spirit III with Stamina III, and using a Vol Soul instead of Quartz Soul to help boost Stamina III chances.

Just as a general rule of thumb: Pick up any high slotted units (4+ slot) and weapons (6+ slot or untekked) from bosses. Arks Rappies only come twice per month (2nd and 22 of each month), and those can drop Arks Fever augments; pick up any weapon or unit that they drop even if it is 1 slot as it will have Arks Fever, and they're easy to upslot. Doing these things can save you the costs later on, or you can just sell these items in the player market for some easy meseta. Good luck with affixing!

Christ on a cracker, I didn't understand a single !@#$ing word of any of this.

@Furious I laid out the blueprints of a spaceship, and I have explained how it works. Do I really need pictures for assistance?

I guess my question for you is "What weapon are you trying to affix augments to?" Sword? Rifle? Rod? If you can answer that, then we can move on to what kind of stats you would like to see, like more attack power and more PP from the weapon, or something. Also plan on how much you're willing to spend affixing augments, because the process of getting all the fodder together can be pricey. If cost is not an issue, then it would be patience, as upslotting your weapon to hold more augments can take try after try of throwing away all your meseta, and bashing your head against a wall until Dudu/Monica stops failing to affix augments.

@Jay6x said in Having a hard time understanding augments, so -:

@Furious I laid out the blueprints of a spaceship, and I have explained how it works. Do I really need pictures for assistance?

I'm trying not to be a jerkface when I say these things, but this whole convoluted, confusing process just enrages me every time I start trying to even look at it.

Like I said, there's something somewhere that I'm missing to understand it. Some bridge between the process and my brain. I've upslotted some units to 5 slots. I think I got that part sort of kind of down. Realized that was a mistake and should have gone with four. Oh well, so now I have new units for that.

Haven't slotted them to 4, because I don't want to lose the base affixes on them and be weaker in the interim until I figure it out.

Please understand that it isn't that I don't appreciate the time and effort, because I truly do, but it's so frustrating to read it multiple times and still have no clue what any of it means. I feel like such an idiot not being able to make it click. 😞

@Furious said in Having a hard time understanding augments, so -:

Please understand that it isn't that I don't appreciate the time and effort, because I truly do, but it's so frustrating to read it multiple times and still have no clue what any of it means. I feel like such an idiot not being able to make it click.

Affixing was super confusing to me the first time I did it (in part because the guy trying to explain it glosses over things and would spell things wrong so he called fodders folders and I thought that was an actual thing since collection folders are a thing) but just doing it a few times with junker items to get a feel for it will probably do you a lot of good, and get you to the point where you can at least look at a simulator and not get super confused.

Alright, I've gathered you're a TeHu (from the other thread). You're right that PP isn't something that you'd terribly need on your weapon, though more HP wouldn't hurt. Your units would also help build your stats up as well, so they'd have similar augments.

As TeHu, your power comes from using physical wand attacks, which if you're using Wand Lovers + Wand Reactor skills, then melee is your primary attack.

On each of your units, depending on meseta budget, try to get at least +80 Melee Power from augmentations.

Alles Di Soul (MEL +25, RNG +25, TEC +25, HP +35, PP +3)
Might Boost   (MEL +25)
Might III     (MEL +30)
Stamina III   (HP +50)

The fodder required for this would be:

Vol Soul  |  Escarde Soul  |  Stamina III  |  Might III
x         |  x             |  x            |  x

Items: Affix Augment (Melee), Augmentation Aid +30%

I've already explained this... but I'll mention it again. A (large) Free Field boss Soul augment and an Episode 4 Soul augment (Escarde/Eastern/Fullvegas) can be used together to make Alles Di Soul, Acto Di Soul, Tir Di Soul, and Magi Di Soul. Free Field (Exploration) boss augments include: Fang Soul, Vol Soul, Snow Soul, Varder Soul, Quartz Soul, X Soul, Shraider Soul, X Soul, Bar Soul, Ringa Soul, Meduna Soul, Gunne Soul, Nept Soul, and Jigmol Soul. Sub-boss Soul augments and Raid Boss Soul augments don't count towards creating Alles Di Soul. The only reason I'm choosing Vol Soul for this specifically is because it provides an affix boost towards affixing Might III and Stamina III.

On the chart I made, there are x's on it to show that each fodder has a minimum of 4 slots, and it does not matter what any of the other augments on the fodder have.

Assuming your base unit already has 4 slots (with junk augments), then it's just a process of just selecting your unit, selecting the fodder to use, selecting the Affix Augment item, and selecting the Augments you want on your unit. Then you use your Augmentation Aid +30%, then it should be guaranteed to succeed with a 100% success rate. Rinse and repeat for each of your main units. You can also do this for your wand too, but I personally go for 5 slots at minimum. My other post talked about affixing ARKS MAX, which recommends 3 fodder to have Arks Fever to make (it only requires 2, but then success is only 40% on ARKS MAX).

Affixing Augments in PSO2 is like this:

1. You have a base item and up to 5 fodder items.
  2. Dudu will rip off every augment from your base item and fodder items.
  3. Dudu refers to a list of rules and presents you with a list of augments that you can choose, based on the stuff he ripped off in step 2 above.
  4. After you have chosen, Dudu calculates the success probability of each of the augments you have chosen.
  5. You decide to dudu it or to cancel the whole thing.

That's the gist of affixing augments. What makes things look so complicated is the list of rules being so long.

@Furious I also share somewhat your difficulty/challenge in understanding how to get a solid start of Augment Affixing and Upslotting of Weapons/Units. Its almost something, for me at least, I have to re-read many multiples of times. Slowly start combing everyone's input and putting the meanings of some of the perhaps unavoidable jargon involved.

https://flamii.wordpress.com/affixing-guidelines/

Fwiw. This site I gave a once through a while back and I felt like I almost had that starting foundation. I plan on re-reading it as well as all of the gems of info that are in this thread. That I would say you and I are in the same boat. Only maybe I can drive a little.

Hopefully this is helpful. I'll be following, mentally parsing, and re-parsing along with you.

o/ =^.^=

So, after nearly breaking down in tears of frustration, I decided to say screw it.

I threw money at it.

I took the unit recipe from @Jay6x and started shopping.

I couldn't find 4 slot Vol Soul items, so I bought multiple (too many) 3 slots and upslotted them to 4s while transferring the soul. Hooray! I almost felt like I knew what I was doing.

I stared at Might for a good long while trying to work out if it was better to build up units from Might to Might III. The headache from that alone brought tears to my eyes. I threw money at it. Lots. Bought several 4 slots with Might III.

Escarde Soul 4 slots weren't so bad. Even had one on hand.

Might Boost! Had to make a separate thread to figure that one out.

Stamina IIIs weren't too expensive either.

So now I have three Union+10 units -

6cc70d12-1b9b-4b5a-8311-2cdb04045186-image.png

I SEE YOU DUDU. (By the way, unrelated, every time I see him all I can think is... "Chocolate? This is doo-doo, baby!")

I'm grateful to those of you that have replied in this thread. More so the ones that have explained it to me like I have a learning disability (although in this case, I just might). I feel a mix of emotions. Happy that I have at least a little bit better of an understanding. Frustrated because I feel like I just cheated by following the recipe given to me. Confused by the whole Might to Might III thing. (What if I couldn't get a 4 slot Might III? What if I had to make one? What if I had to build one entirely from scratch? How? HOW!? It's like needles in my brain.) I still feel like just doing one of those heavy sigh head in hands try not to cry sort of things.

How much money did I spend? I did myself a favor and didn't look. More than I should have? Most likely. But I did it, sort of. Even if I cheated.

NOW TO BREAK MY BRAIN ON MY WEAPON, HA. HA HA.

This is it currently -

9ad09e30-0e0a-4f3b-9a3a-689a779a9b97-image.png

I don't remember if I bought it like this or found it like this. Time to start going over the stats and souls to make it somewhat similar to my units. Maybe. I don't know.

I still just want MEL and HP. Everything else is bonus.

Time to shower. Maybe I won't feel like bashing my head into a wall and will be able to start the weapon approach.

Thank you.