RIP proper 7-Eleven collab

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2020/8/30/21406035/how-sega-took-eight-years-to-bring-phantasy-star-online-2-west

Is there any content that you had to adjust for the Western release? Presumably, you won’t be bringing over the Japan-specific collaborative content, like convenience store branding or drinks. But do you have any plans for Western-themed items or collaborations?

We aren’t able to roll it out in the same way we did for the Japanese release, but we are open to cross-collaborations in the U.S., as well. We probably won’t be doing the cross-promotions with convenience stores and drinks, as we did in Japan, but we are interested in doing some cross-promotions with other anime programs or franchises. In Japan, you have convenience stores on every corner, but in the States everything is so much more spread out — so in terms of [those] collaborations, probably not. But in terms of people or branding, we would be interested in doing that kind of sponsorship.

Would have been fun to see but then, it's 7-Eleven. This means we might still see 7-Eleven items though but having them without the proper collab just kind of defeats the point IMO.

Personally I'm okay with this. PSO2 doesn't need comical branding like the 1Up Platinum Cup.

I WANT A BIG GULP AND I WANT BERRY PIES.

(Really though... I'm fine without the 711, Star Wars / Halo treatment, although that would bring huge exposure to the game)

I think FFXIV has demonstrated that RL collabs going outside of JP has been disastrous. SquareEnix also had 7-11 collab in Japan, and then tried Amazon collab in the US (which alot of people just refunded/cancelled their order after they got their in game items), also the collab with some magazine in Europe that locked out/excluded I would say most people in Europe. Not to mention still tons of places where FFXIV is officially sold/promoted that did not get any of these collaborations.

Collabs based on real life brands are always the more difficult ones next to movies. Phantasy Star Portable 2 notably got to keep a lot of collabs but the Pizza Hut and Fanta collab had to be removed.

Not to mention 7 11 is not available everywhere since in my country they used to be here but are not here anymore.

@YagyuChan said in RIP proper 7-Eleven collab:

Not to mention 7 11 is not available everywhere since in my country they used to be here but are not here anymore.

In the quote, only the United States were under consideration.

@Mattwo7 said in RIP proper 7-Eleven collab:

This is a Global version now which means all countries must be considered.

7/11 is available on every corner in the states too... not sure where they got that idea.

You know that SEGA considers this PSO2 NA right? Look at the times for urgent quests too... NA is the major consideration for all big decisions on this version.

@Kurumi-Tokisaki said in RIP proper 7-Eleven collab:

7/11 is available on every corner in the states too... not sure where they got that idea.

You know that SEGA considers this PSO2 NA right? Look at the times for urgent quests too... NA is the major consideration for all big decisions on this version.

I disagree since I can see the UQs in my time just fine which is something they implemented and I haven't had issues making UQs. Btw look at their social media and YouTube channel cause I see Phantasy Star Online 2 - Global so they consider it Global. More evidence is the previous PSO2 STATION + in Japan when talking about the Mission Pass feature coming to Japan they called it PSO2 Global.

Evidence:

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

That's irrelevant to the quote I'm afraid. Throughout the entire interview they called them the "North American servers"

You know that SEGA considers this PSO2 NA right? Look at the times for urgent quests too...

Reminds me of that one Reddit post making fun of concerts at 4AM.

and I haven't had issues making UQs

Your own personal experience is not enough evidence.

Btw look at their social media and YouTube channel cause I see Phantasy Star Online 2 - Global so they consider it Global

Sega of Japan was not involved in making those pages, ESTSoft was the ones who made them, the interview is with devs from Sega Japan.

@Mattwo7 , given that the interview brings up features we already have such as Ship Transfers as if they were something that were coming soon as opposed to already available; there's a chance that this interview was done some months ago prior to the Global launch.

Will you be able to move your character from ship to ship, in case your friends are on a different ship than you?

It’s not possible right now, but we’ve heard this request from others, as well, and it is something we plan on rolling out. It’s possible currently in Japan, but even in Japan, you can only move servers or transfer data once a week during maintenance. There’s a specific window and frequency at which you can do this, and that will remain the same for the North American region as well.

And also no mention of the Steam version:

For the U.S. version, we’ve just announced the Windows 10 version in May and that you’ll be able to play across Xbox and PC, and we hope in future platforms, as well.

That's irrelevant to the quote I'm afraid. Throughout the entire interview they called them the "North American servers"

You know that SEGA considers this PSO2 NA right? Look at the times for urgent quests too...

Reminds me of that one Reddit post making fun of concerts at 4AM.

and I haven't had issues making UQs

Your own personal experience is not enough evidence.

Btw look at their social media and YouTube channel cause I see Phantasy Star Online 2 - Global so they consider it Global

Sega of Japan was not involved in making those pages, ESTSoft was the ones who made them, the interview is with devs from Sega Japan.

Your evidence or quote as you call it is out of date and took place prior to the Global launch so your points here are invalid by that fact.

@Leonkh99 said in RIP proper 7-Eleven collab:

@Mattwo7 , given that the interview brings up features we already have such as Ship Transfers as if they were something that were coming soon as opposed to already available; there's a chance that this interview was done some months ago prior to the Global launch.

Will you be able to move your character from ship to ship, in case your friends are on a different ship than you?

It’s not possible right now, but we’ve heard this request from others, as well, and it is something we plan on rolling out. It’s possible currently in Japan, but even in Japan, you can only move servers or transfer data once a week during maintenance. There’s a specific window and frequency at which you can do this, and that will remain the same for the North American region as well.

For the U.S. version, we’ve just announced the Windows 10 version in May and that you’ll be able to play across Xbox and PC, and we hope in future platforms, as well.

You are correct that interview took place just after the Episode 4 announcement when the game was still the US version when in the current STATION they called it PSO2 Global which they are correct about. Also @Mattwo7 SEGA of Japan is the shot caller here so even stuff ESTSoft does is conducted by their wishes.

@Leonkh99 said in RIP proper 7-Eleven collab:

You are correct that interview took place just after the Episode 4 announcement when the game was still the US version when in the current STATION they called it PSO2 Global which they are correct about. Also @Mattwo7 SEGA of Japan is the shot caller here so even stuff ESTSoft does is conducted by their wishes.

They are correct in terms of the fact that ESTsoft manages those pages FOR Sega of Japan and there would be areas where autonomy would be allowed... as well for mistakes to happen. During the first few months the YouTube channel was not setup properly, stating that its location was 'Afghanistan' (since its the first country listed in the region list) or the inconsistencies regarding the age rating which they themselves had made.

Again, most of the facts are the result of the interview apparently being carried out at an earlier point but ESTsoft should not be ruled out of the equation with regards to inconsistencies made on the Community Management (Forums, Site Info, Social Media statements, etc) end of things.