If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!

@Miraglyth Ah, sorry about that. I thought you were referring to who's in charge of the cuts and changes.

@Miraglyth said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

Everyone knows precisely why Electric Soldier Porygon was banned in Japan and never attempted to be aired or sold anywhere else ever again. And it's incredibly rare to find anyone complaining about that, because the reasoning behind those moves had weight (unfortunately aided by the consequences being known) and basically everyone understood and agreed with them. The removal, censorship, or whatever you call it, had real and demonstrable benefit. The fact that the other quote I replied to in this post makes a seemingly incorrect conclusion about this reasoning should also demonstrate how little we know.

The other side of the coin is, without knowing, we cannot understand what the benefit of the changes is. If any, it is unlikely to be for health reasons. But that doesn't mean some of us won't be able to accept them. We just need to know what they are to be able to do that, you know?

Which I'm in agreement with, I'm glad it was pulled. As my original statement in the thread - "To be fair, censorship is not always a bad thing. Remember when a bunch of children watched Pokemon and had seizures?"

This has happen with other shows in Japan as well and the wording used is probably something Sega PR team would use.

"While the announcement notes that it is unknown whether there is a connection between the murder and this program, it also notes that there are scenes of a girl holding an axe (in apparent reference to the first Higurashi no Naku Koro ni series). The decision was made in light of the "possible discomfort to the audience," and the station is considering its plans for future showings."

@ApollosAmour said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

@Miraglyth Ah, sorry about that. I thought you were referring to who's in charge of the cuts and changes.

I am. We don't know whose decision (one or more parties) was behind the changes players are hotly discussing lately. I'd like to know as much as anyone, and that article doesn't say.

@Gamers-are-so-oppressed said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

Which I'm in agreement with, I'm glad it was pulled. As my original statement in the thread - "To be fair, censorship is not always a bad thing. Remember when a bunch of children watched Pokemon and had seizures?"

Yep, fair. I'm with you on this one.

maxresdefault (1).jpg god bless censorship lol

I was wondering when those infamous finger guns would make an appearance in this discussion! 😅

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Why was this censored? Did they ever give a reason??? 🤔

@Gamers-are-so-oppressed said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Same reason stuff in PSO2 is being censored, to cater towards kids. The difference is PSO2 is an M rated game and doesn't need any censorship.

@Kurumi-Tokisaki said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

Same reason stuff in PSO2 is being censored, to cater towards kids. The difference is PSO2 is an M rated game and doesn't need any censorship.

It's an M-rated game. Kids aren't the target audience.

@Gamers-are-so-oppressed It's an edit 4Kids made to the Yu-gi-oh! dub. North American dubs of anime targeted to kids used to have a habit of changing any references to Japanese culture; any portrayals of nudity, sex, violence, or drug use (including cigarettes); and so on. Not sure if it's still going on.

@ApollosAmour said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

@Kurumi-Tokisaki said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

It's an M-rated game. Kids aren't the target audience.

@Gamers-are-so-oppressed It's an edit 4Kids made to the Yu-gi-oh! dub. North American dubs of anime targeted to kids used to have a habit of changing any references to Japanese culture; any portrayals of nudity, sex, violence, or drug use (including cigarettes); and so on. Not sure if it's still going on.

It is but not for children. Nowadays dubs are inserting things like gamergate and trump n such into dubs

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Can I get a source from the studio for that being the reason?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/netflix-amazon-and-disney-will-self-regulate-to-avoid-censorship-in-india/ar-BB18KoC6?ocid=msedgdhp

Interesting bit of read, showing that some companies are embracing self censoring on some countries to avoid sour relations with governments. I bring this because while it's not proven who exactly did PSO2's censoring nor how, self censoring is a thing and in some cases, companies will use it. On the other hand, this does not mean people can't petition censors to be removed. Talking and being heard are two different things, after all.

@XenoBladeX37645 said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

It is but not for children. Nowadays dubs are inserting things like gamergate and trump n such into dubs

Don't even get me started on politics in dubbing lmao I'm glad PSO2 isn't going through any of that.

@XenoBladeX37645 said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

Don't even get me started on politics in dubbing lmao I'm glad PSO2 isn't going through any of that.

Im pretty sure all of us are glad that isnt the case

Im pretty sure all of us are glad that isnt the case

Nah, political stuff is fun. Fun to see people get worked up and fight eachother in verbal debates that never end over silly things that don't matter since we all live in the 2D world of gaming and not the bizarre 3D world.

This isn't a PSO2 situation where it's just one or two separated occurrences in isolation, but it's fair there is a similarity in terms of not knowing who first asked for it to happen. So, a couple minutes of google gets me this from wikipedia.

Inappropriate content stuff was apparently driven by TV networks:

At the 2019 Fan Expo Canada, Eric Stuart, who did the voice of Brock in the 4Kids dub of Pokémon, and the voice of Seto Kaiba in the English dub of Yu-Gi-Oh!, and who was also part of the production side, mentioned why 4Kids' dubs had this censorship. He explained that American culture has different sensitivity to certain content compared to Japanese culture, and networks on Saturday mornings had standards that would forbid certain inappropriate content like firearms, sexual references, religious references, display or mention of death, alcohol, cigarettes, and other content that is considered offensive to American audiences. As the censorship is dictated by the networks and not the production company itself, 4Kids would submit the scripts and footage of their dubs to the networks their dubs air on, and then the executives of those networks would review them. Then after they reviewed it, they would tell 4Kids to cut out certain scenes and edit inappropriate content to something particular like change a cigarette to a lollipop or change a stone that looks like a cross to something non-religious in order for their dubs to pass the network's standards.

Meanwhile the removal of Japanese references was apparently driven by the Japanese creators seeking to be more internationally marketable:

At the 2016 Metrocon, Eric Stuart also explained the "Americanization" in 4Kids' dubs. He stated that those edits were actually international edits. When companies like 4Kids purchase the licensing to Japanese anime, the anime not only was redubbed into English but also redubbed into multiple languages because companies like 4Kids were used to distribute the anime to other countries by using their own dubs and licensing them to other countries to have their dubs be used to distribute the anime. The Japanese food products being changed and Japanese references being removed were requested by those Japanese anime companies because they wanted their anime to be distributed worldwide and wanted international audiences to relate to their products much easier. So while the Japanese anime companies remove the Japanese text on signs, 4Kids removed the scenes involving Japanese references and changed the names of the Japanese food products like rice balls to something more international like donuts while only occasionally changing the animation to the foods since making animation changes causes rise in production costs and they already have to make plenty of animation changes in their dubs.

So there we go. Different reasons and different parties for different forms of content changing / censorship. That was more educational than I expected, and should highlight that of the numerous parties involved with global PSO2 we just don't know who demanded the changes to our game.