If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!

@ApollosAmour

Idk why you guys are talking about pokemon. The seizure episode you guys have been discussing doesn't really have anything to do with censorship. Pretty sure it only aired once. It had problems so it never aired again anywhere.

@RainGnyu Feel free to quit if we lose the censorship. That's on you. I will still play even with the censorship ingame (least for now) even though I hate it's presence.

Bad bait.

@RikaPSO Yeah lol It is a good point for why censorship can be good, but the circumstances are entirely different. Took me a second to realize it was going nowhere.

@RikaPSO said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

@ApollosAmour

Idk why you guys are talking about pokemon. The seizure episode you guys have been discussing doesn't really have anything to do with censorship. Pretty sure it only aired once. It had problems so it never aired again anywhere.

"The episode was removed/censored was it not? How dare they take it off the air! It didn't give me a seizure so surely everyone else is just a SJW!"

My original point was censorship is not always a bad thing and changing/adding things isn't a bad thing. Using the excuse of "experience things the original developer intended!" is shit.

@Gamers-are-so-oppressed said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

@RikaPSO said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

@ApollosAmour

"The episode was removed/censored was it not? How dare they take it off the air! It didn't give me a seizure so surely everyone else is just a SJW!"

My original point was censorship is not always a bad thing and changing/adding things isn't a bad thing. Using the excuse of "experience things the original developer intended!" is shit.

What gets me the most about it is that the original developers made the changes themselves and likely oversaw them. It's 100% what they intended, but people would rather disagree with their modern take on it while still pretending they had no involvement.

Not wanting to play a game because it was changed to stop you doing something you wanted to do is one thing.

But not wanting to play a game over a change that restores the ability of other people to do what they want while not affecting you at all? I confess to not understanding this mindset?

@Gamers-are-so-oppressed said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

To be fair, censorship is not always a bad thing. Remember when a bunch of children watched Pokemon and had seizures?

@ApollosAmour said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

It wasn't anybody's fault. They didn't know that it would trigger an epileptic episode.

I'm not sure that counts as censorship so much as safety measures. But that accident did come from a series where other episodes around that time were censored. If you're close to my age you can probably remember confusion on this one:

Remember when Ash went back to Oak's lab and was mobbed by a bunch of Tauros he never caught? And remember in the tournament afterwards when he used one of those nonexistent Tauros? That's because they never dubbed the safari zone episode he caught them in, since it had guns in it.

The funny thing is now one of the chapter 8 substory quests was left in, that's basically the situation with the first deleted scene of Episode 4. So hey, we have a direct parallel with PSO2.

@Dragon-Cloud said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

SEGA JP has been the one forcing and deciding all ther "censorship". no one else but the creators. Nobody is forcing nobody, in fact

Wait, when was this discovered? Last I'd heard, nobody knew who had demanded the changes between JP and Global. I'm not going to discuss the subsequent conversation because it's based on this claim and I don't know at this point if it's correct.

@Miraglyth said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

Not wanting to play a game because it was changed to stop you doing something you wanted to do is one thing.

But not wanting to play a game over a change that restores the ability of other people to do what they want while not affecting you at all? I confess to not understanding this mindset?

To be fair, censorship is not always a bad thing. Remember when a bunch of children watched Pokemon and had seizures?

@ApollosAmour said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

It wasn't anybody's fault. They didn't know that it would trigger an epileptic episode.

I'm not sure that counts as censorship so much as safety measures. But that accident did come from a series where other episodes around that time were censored. If you're close to my age you can probably remember confusion on this one:

Remember when Ash went back to Oak's lab and was mobbed by a bunch of Tauros he never caught? And remember in the tournament afterwards when he used one of those nonexistent Tauros? That's because they never dubbed the safari zone episode, as it had guns in it.

The funny thing is now one of the chapter 8 substory quests was left in, that's basically the situation with the first deleted scene of Episode 4. So hey, we have a direct parallel with PSO2.

"Safety Measures" does this not fall into the censorship umbrella? Again, it didn't give me a seizure so why should we bend to the will of those that did? Where have I heard this argument before?

@RainGnyu said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

I have had enough of these threads with misdirected And indoctrinating ideals. Misleading tones of fairness when the truth is immortality! The upsetting part of the issue for me personally is that the illusion of acceptance the GMs Sega team have shown on these forums by allowing these type of discussions to continue without repercussions!

I have more to say but I will wait to see what the wood worms have to say before I continue!

Im sorry but who is trying to indoctrinate anyone here? "Misleading tones of fairness but the truth is immortality"....huh? And you speak as if the folks talking about censorship are committing a crime or something and thus need to be punished. Also wood worms...thats an odd term to use but oke

@ApollosAmour

Censorship IS always a bad thing. The creator makes things for a purpose.

@Kurumi-Tokisaki said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

@ApollosAmour

Yes yes, your avatar says it all I'm very aware. You missed the point already.

@Kurumi-Tokisaki said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

@ApollosAmour

Yes yes, your avatar says it all I'm very aware. You missed the point already.

so were judging based off of avatars now?

@XenoBladeX37645 said in If they lift the censorship and height restriction I will quit the game!:

so were judging based off of avatars now?

It isn't hard to tell what side someone is on based off their avatar, their posts, and their overlooking/avoiding a valid point but sure I guess I am. What do you believe I'm assuming? Cause you are probably right.

@Miraglyth The recent Polygon interviews: https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2020/8/30/21406035/how-sega-took-eight-years-to-bring-phantasy-star-online-2-west

I saw those. They were linked by the @play_pso2 Twitter after all.

But... that doesn't answer my question in the slightest. That interview doesn't discuss any content changes besides branding collaborations with convenience stores given as an example. The question for that one started with the line "Is there any content that you had to adjust for the Western release?" but that part of it was very much not answered and no part of the answer said "We are the only party deciding what is included" as has been alleged in this topic.

"Safety Measures" does this not fall into the censorship umbrella?

By the dictionary definition of censorship? Perhaps? The fact that you call it an umbrella though should highlight that it covers multiple different forms and it's the difference that matters here.

Everyone knows precisely why Electric Soldier Porygon was banned in Japan and never attempted to be aired or sold anywhere else ever again. And it's incredibly rare to find anyone complaining about that, because the reasoning behind those moves had weight (unfortunately aided by the consequences being known) and basically everyone understood and agreed with them. The removal, censorship, or whatever you call it, had real and demonstrable benefit.

(If anyone is unaware: It broadcast full-screen rapid flashing of primary colours, causing several hundred children to be hospitalised from photosensitive seizures.)

For both the height slider (and if the maximum height limitation was reverted, when did that happen and how come players didn't hear they could?) and the altered or deleted scenes, we don't know why. We can make educated guesses but ultimately we can only expect that either someone with some significance to the game's publishing demanded their removal or they simply made the changes either out of anticipation or fear of that demand.

The fact that the other quote I replied to in this post makes a seemingly incorrect conclusion about this reasoning should also demonstrate how little we know.

The other side of the coin is, without knowing, we cannot understand what the benefit of the changes is. If any, it is unlikely to be for health reasons. But that doesn't mean some of us won't be able to accept them. We just need to know what they are to be able to do that, you know?