Perma Body Paint or Inner Wear for less than 150cm characters

Guiding Assumption: That Sega doesn't want short characters wearing lewd swimsuits at all. This would make alternatives like a toggle option not possible. We need communication!

So assuming that the decision makers think that a toggle option and all content options returned are not viable. I propose simply adding either a body paint or Inner wear that acts as a censor, specific implementation would depend on development difficulty, as an alternative to removing the option of short characters altogether. This would be something like a one piece swimsuit (without really covering arms or legs). The exact specifics of this I leave up to discussion in this thread, and as a point of compromise with the decision makers on Sega's side. I'm mostly interested in determining if people think this is at least better than the CURRENT situation.

This idea had already gotten GM attention here

This level of compromise might not be needed, but that depends on sega Disclose WHY the height limit was put in place Less restrictive Toggle option may be viable.

While I don't completely agree, if that was the bare minimum it took to make short characters I would be in favor of it. I still hate the idea of censorship and think they need to remove the height limit with a no base wear but I'm willing to compromise if that's what it takes.

I'll set my centimeter one centimeter higher than the limit and in the end of it all I'll be a little bit shorter than I currently am and still in a swimsuit even if it's not by much...

#MakeAmericansShortAgain

Overt censorship is better than covert censorship. If we know it is there and why, it is esier to mentally reverse than fighting with obscure and apparently illogical restrictions.

I would rather have all clothing options over a body suit that covers neck out to wrist and ankle than a reduced selection with regular underware.

Moreover, I am might like such an option as an option for all charecters so my immersion stops breaking with bikkini tundra excursions, or as a modesty filter for gamming in public.

Fighting censorship only to have more censorship is just silly especially something that could ruin outfit appearances for people. Case and point Black desert with Shai. Trust me, people HATE this crap. A proper compromise for height changes would either be reducing it to 145 cm as the new lowest limit which is a completely normal adult height or adding a toggle eventually. The fact that they set it to 153 as minimum shows you how absurd the whole thing is.

I'm assuming Sega just wanted to cover their arses and avoid potential negative press or were forced to while dealing with Microsoft. It's pretty much the same reason Bluehole censored Tera for En-masse even though they didn't need to legally. They went to all this effort just to avoid some potential article from some failed journalist that ultimately nobody would give 2 shits about. The people playing would continue playing and the people who are "outraged" would never play the game to begin with as content they would be upset about already exists in this game. This is pretty much proven to be at least partially true when you find out that the censorship that has been removed from most outfits for Elin is being silently removed. They aren't including it in the patch notes or announcing it in any way but people are noticing. They obviously don't want it noticed by media or outrage mobs.

In my opinion, this idea will only generate further discomfort. Because the censorship problem isn't solved, it's just changed. That's okay with me, but definitely not for others. Furthermore, a perma Body Paint or Inner Wear could ruin the overall aesthetics of the outfits/layered wears.

I see the question as "if we are stuck with censorship, what form should it take?"

Layering wise I could see how a "sport bra" can ruin the effect of a strapless dress, but would an all over body suit really break it, especially if it could be flesh tone so long as it is off color?

@Michelle don't get me wrong people aren't going to be happy if we have to resort to this, it will ruin a lot of outfits, for them I would suggest staying at 150 so it isn't an issue.

Though this is why I stated the assumption first. That Sega simply does not want short characters in revealing swimwear. I would like for us to consider what we can get as a minimum.

@zubkoa said in Perma Body Paint or Inner Wear for less than 150cm characters:

Layering wise I could see how a "sport bra" can ruin the effect of a strapless dress, but would an all over body suit really break it, especially if it could be flesh tone so long as it is off color?

This is a possibility, something like a sport bra may be fine with sega

@Moei Kind of screws with a Star Ocean Character I'm trying to re-create. 148/149cm, and censored layered wear would not help me in this situation. The bikinis are another thing entirely, as I never use them save for beach wars. So for those, perhaps the default is the one seen worn by Io, as that covers quite a bit. But that's my personal opinion. I'm sure someone else will have wanted to make a 145/146 cm character, that would also get screwd over by a permanent body paint, as again, layered wear will always show what's underneath, creating a look, one probably wasn't going for. That's just my deductive reasoning, and I'm not speaking on behalf of others, however, this is how someone else may see the issue. I'm also sure, someone will take issue with my idea for forcing all bikinis, down below a certain height, to become the one Io wears.

@Anarchy-Marine Do you want to re-create Meracle Chamlotte? I understand how you feel, I'm a Star Ocean fan, and I would like to re-create those characters on PSO2 too.

If you play around in the Salon you'll see that you can toggle between 4 display modes:

• Full display of outfit or layered wear
  • Display of basewear
  • Display of innerwear
  • Display of body

It is the last mode that shows the game already has a "body paint" that is applied in the Salon to cover up "sensitive areas". But this body paint is removed when you have any innerwear or outfit active.

So even if such a body paint is applied, you're going to have the problem that people will use innerwear like Silicone series to remove it. If you make it so that it can't be removed, then it will render a lot of basewear really ugly.

Therefore if such an approach is taken, it should only apply to characters shorter than 150(?).

I'm against censorship and think it's just lolstupid such a height restriction is applied. But I think the current implementation is a good enough compromise to keep the SJWs off this game's back.

@kztm yeah this was only for characters below 150 because it is currently not allowed. This suggestion is kind of a failsafe, where we give up so much that it can't be objectionable anymore. The toggle option would make us happier, but sega might not be okay with that.

Better than the current situation? No.

It's important to have as many options as possible when going for that unique look. This spits square in the face of why people put the fashion in this game on a pedestal. Smart inner, whether we get it or not, was created because it's super important for people to fine-tune their looks exactly how they want it. Who would really want some garbage innerwear screwing all that up?

It also goes without saying that no one that wants this pointless censorship gone should even entertain this "remedy." Slapping a band-aid on an existing band-aid doesn't fix the underlying issue that the height limit shouldn't have been implemented to begin with.

Although it seems reasonable, I don't like a form of censorship. It being changed with another form of censorship is still censorship. The height restriction should just be outright removed, no strings attached. There is no compromise to be had. If it's okay in japan, it's okay here.

Censored layerwear would limit peoples customization.

Note: The minimum height doesn't effect me, if it did and stopped me from making a character, I would just play jp/not play.

@Z0DIAK-BRAVE yeah I'm pretty much assuming sega will keep the current censor no matter how much we protest. We really need communication, to know if that is true though. Part of my thought is this would be our only choice if sega did come flat out and say they don't want short characters wearing lewd swimsuits. This is why the guiding assumption exists in the first post.

This will mess with fashion, but I believe it is basically trading the inability to make short characters altogether, for the ability to make censored short characters. To me anyway it is trading a strict form of censorship for a less strict form of censorship, which is some form of progress.

@RikaPSO This isn't meant to be a good solution, just a back up if sega us unwilling to uncensor the game. We have had almost zero communication on the topic from them. So this would be one of the only options if we were dealing with a worst case scenario.

This isn't a question of right or wrong. It is a question if how much sega is willing to actually do for us. As of now they have been very silent on the subject, so I'm assuming they don't want to change the censors.

@Zenny said in Perma Body Paint or Inner Wear for less than 150cm characters:

Fighting censorship only to have more censorship is just silly especially something that could ruin outfit appearances for people. Case and point Black desert with Shai. Trust me, people HATE this crap. A proper compromise for height changes would either be reducing it to 145 cm as the new lowest limit which is a completely normal adult height or adding a toggle eventually. The fact that they set it to 153 as minimum shows you how absurd the whole thing is.

I'm assuming Sega just wanted to cover their arses and avoid potential negative press or were forced to while dealing with Microsoft. It's pretty much the same reason Bluehole censored Tera for En-masse even though they didn't need to legally. They went to all this effort just to avoid some potential article from some failed journalist that ultimately nobody would give 2 shits about. The people playing would continue playing and the people who are "outraged" would never play the game to begin with as content they would be upset about already exists in this game. This is pretty much proven to be at least partially true when you find out that the censorship that has been removed from most outfits for Elin is being silently removed. They aren't including it in the patch notes or announcing it in any way but people are noticing. They obviously don't want it noticed by media or outrage mobs.

People want full freedom on their characters body. The majority of people who want to make shorter characters wouldn't be using outfits that the innerwear would show on anyway. I'd much rather miss out on cosmetics than be fundamentally restricted starting at the creator-. There's plenty of good cosmetics to wear and you'll find something you like no matter what.. If it forces innerwear so be it- at least all those people without bad intentions will no longer be restricted. I'm all for it for this reason.