The North American Localization team sucks.

@Emmerson-T-Kenny said in The North American Localization team sucks.:

@Scerms77 said in The North American Localization team sucks.:

I wonder when someone will come up and complain over missing japanese text, because it said ALL THE CONTENT... 😅

Never, because japanese texts are already there. The problem is only on english texts.

Oh, i didnt knew that. I thought there is only japanese language for the cutscenes...

@Scerms77 The game is full japanese and full english, and you can set japanese text with english dub, or vice versa at your choice. But the English texts have a very rough translation. Even an unnamed item from what I've heard.

Capsture.JPG

The problem is on "english interface" which also means the translation of items, skills, etc.

@KrinostheMartyr and @Fighter-Fairy

There's just one problem.... what "Team"? Your post shows signs of lack of research and blaming the wrong people for the wrong things while also not taking many things into consideration, PSO2 Global is a Team Effort of "Teams" each responsible for handling different aspects of the game.

Sega of America and Sega Europe are not directly involved in the game's day to day management for one so.... time to rule them out.

Localization? Many people here bring up that the Localizers were most likely rushed... I was the one who brought up the fact that the localizers were most likely rushed, you can find the details here: https://forum.pso2.com/topic/7322/regarding-the-state-of-the-localization?page=1

Though if you want a TLDR; the various people in the localization team have worked on excellent game localizations such as Dragalia Lost, Yokai Watch, Senran Kagura, Steins Gate, Ninjala, Pokken Tournament, all games which don't suffer the same problem that PSO2 has. As such... incompetency can't be considered the problem, the end result is due to outside circumstances such as being rushed or not paid enough.

and finally.... you have Sega of Japan who basically run the whole game. Lionbridge handles localization, ESTsoft handles communication and customer support, Sega of Japan runs everything else. They are the ones who make changes to the game's client, they are the ones who run the game's servers and set up server parameters, they are the ones who decide what content gets removed and censored.

So in other words, given the facts provided and taking your logic literally.... you want Sega of Japan, the ones who made the game, removed cause they decide they want to censor their own game which they made?

@Emmerson-T-Kenny ,

Apologies but just to understand the situation... you say that you started playing the Japanese version and made a purchase hoping that the Japanese version would be the Global version yes? That it would be the same server and client but just with an English option?

The game's localization is a joke that's fact. Wouldn't even consider it localized because if you look at item descriptions they are just removed. Guess item's, especially 13*+ offer something about their origin and ar part in forming the games narrative. They are even selling SG items with a copy&paste description (Furnishings that can be placed in your Personal Quarters). Yet as far as i know this furnishing as distinct uses/effects.

Our version feels super cut, not to mention they skipped EP4 weapon progression entirely, yet SEGA is charging like a king. Sure the game is f2p. But it wouldn't be if it wasn't much more profitable.

Now it's up to SEGA to tone down their greed and provide their customers the localization they deserve.

PS: Finally do something about the bots....

@Leonkh99 said in The North American Localization team sucks.:

@Emmerson-T-Kenny ,

Apologies but just to understand the situation... you say that you started playing the Japanese version and made a purchase hoping that the Japanese version would be the Global version yes? That it would be the same server and client but just with an English option?

You have misunderstood. I bought items on Global, but am not satisfied due to height restrictions. They are items for the Salon.

@ToF-Wolfenstein Regarding EP4 weapon progression; remember that our version is technically running on Episode 6 under-the-hood and even uses that Episode's balances. Given that Old-Type weapons were removed entirely as part of a streamline process, I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened to the weapons which you speak of.

@Emmerson-T-Kenny , I see, thanks for the correction. In that case, I have nothing to say on the matter other than the fact that most of the changes (including censorship) made were decided by Sega of Japan. The issue with the Localization is a different issue entirely but... I guess some people want to pretend that its all the fault of one single entity.

@Emmerson-T-Kenny world is changing and everyone is realizing the customer is in fact not always right. Karens can try and get their way, but at the end of the day the employees will just laugh and make memes. It's like ive always told people in forums for videogames, if ya don't like it, go get a job with the dev team or make your own game for people to play how you want it played and let them complain to you about how its poorly ran. Now I do agree that censorship is nonsense with the game, but these arguments that you are making about employees bowing down to your wants and needs is ridiculous. To read the TOS and get humbled.

@Zeara You are completely misunderstanding my intentions.

That whole refund - thing is just ridicolous... I mean the game is FREE and items that are bought (voluntary) can be used just fine.

I didnt want to bring this thing up, but people talking about refund are truly just Karens. Period.

Edit : Also, if you feel being mistreated, unsatisfied or something should be refunded, why bring this shit to a general discussion community forum???

I got a point to make on this and well if they didn't care about the Global version as much as some people here would say then they wouldn't have bothered even releasing the game instead opting for the SEA approach and making it P2W which I last checked the game is exactly like JP. As for Episode 1-3 that would be the only content and the game would be closed by 2021 but we are on Episode 4 so BIG surprise they DO care about the Global version with it being mentioned in PSO2 STATION + many times and on the official Japanese PSO2 Players site so stop saying they don't care cause funding is a big problem but I feel the GMs and even the Devs care for this version a lot and will fix the texts once we are up to speed with Japan servers.

Just compare the fan translation to the "professional translation".... there is no need for a discussion it just has to be pushed right in SEGA's face.

At most, I agree the full translation of item descriptions should be a top priority. Censors are decisions, not errors nor rush-job skipping. So that, while important, shouldn't take precedence over the more pressing issues, which is the full functionality of the game. I mean, I personally shouldn't need to guess or ask elsewhere for what those crafting furnishings do. At least a rough description should have been put in the game. So of all the translations, those are the ones that should be done first in my opinion.

A recent interview says that the Translation team appears to have full autonomy, which is the cause of those weird translation issues. The devs don't get to talk to the TL team for whatever reason.

If you guys like the AL translation so much, go play on JP and use it then. You can't have a creepy scene of two high schoolers having a weird bath with a 10 year old. Cry me a river. Go to JP if you think it matters so much.

The signs of a good market are having choices! Make yours instead of complaining. I am SO tired of this. I just want to enjoy this game, not wade through so much garbage to get the information I needed. I was HOPING this crap would stop when the community got off of PSO-W, but here we are!

@Zeara said in The North American Localization team sucks.:

It's like ive always told people in forums for videogames, if ya don't like it, go get a job with the dev team

The irony in this for me is that if it wasn't for Covid, this may have been a potential reality for me. They are looking for C++ and C# programmers for NGS and those are my main programming languages. I was in the talks for a job in Japan before Covid struck, if things were shifted by a couple months, I may have been in Japan when the US locked down.

But yeah on topic, don't blame the localization team for the censorship; that was not their call (it was Sega's). Also, it seems that the translations were forcibly rushed by Sega as many of the past works by the team were rather well polished.

@Emmerson-T-Kenny said in The North American Localization team sucks.:

@Scerms77 said in The North American Localization team sucks.:

I wonder when someone will come up and complain over missing japanese text, because it said ALL THE CONTENT... 😅

Never, because japanese texts are already there. The problem is only on english texts.

I always thought that the NA version was in JP anyways, Wasn't it? It's as simple as just changing an XML file that points to the EN locale.